• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

And now for something a bit different........

While browsing eBay for some Art Deco china I stumbled on a rather stylish Ferranti synchronous electric clock.........

Sellers original pictures:-....

4Wh0OlR.jpg

L3GS59r.jpg

2Ndhfo9.jpg

Well it got me interested and I did some online research and decided that if I could get it cheap it would be an interesting project...

The bottom line is that it apparently did not appeal to many others and I got it for £14 :cool:

It arrived yesterday in the post and on unpacking it I was pleasantly surprised that other than the original mains lead cut off and the fact that it had 80+ years of grime on it, it was in far better condition than the seller's pictures implied!

I set about stripping it and when I removed the brass movement cover found that it was really clean inside and that the movement was still well lubricated in all the right places and every thing move silky smooth. When I did my original online research I had found out that the coil resistance should be somewhere between 4 and 5K ohms and on checking it it read right in the middle at 4.5K ohms. I checked with the meter on the Meg ohms range and there was no leakage on the coil windings back to the movement chassis and more importantly the coil didn't smell 'cooked' , this gave me confidence that the clock would almost certainly run if 240V AC was applied to it.:thumbsup:. (which was the case :thumbs_up:)

I cleaned up all of the stripped parts, though I was VERY careful on removing the glass as I half expected that the brown crackle painted metal case would be stuck to the back of the mirror and would pull the silvering off:scared:. Fortunately my concerns were unjustified and there were no problems and I was able to clean the back of the glass and remove 80 plus years of film and detritus from it.

I do intend to replace the two core mains cable with some suitable 3 core and have got a couple of metres on order, but for the time being I have hooked it up for testing with two core. Results seen below....:cool:

SU3ga2R.jpg

WxwjoyT.jpg

d2c7Rjh.jpg

Wouldn't look out of place on the mantelpiece of Hercule Poirot's London apartment.....:cool:

Bugger I can see me getting hooked on these and getting a few more.....:blush:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Currently in pride of place in 'the office' flanked by Brooklands motor racing posters from the same era.....

U3oJzFh.jpg

qYBgHqB.jpg

The brown wooden box next to it is a ignition coil box from a Model T Ford from around 1914.......(still trying to get a set of contacts for it, plenty in the USA but sadly cost of postage from the US is prohibitive :()

mUEYeqP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, John_D said:

Currently in pride of place in 'the office' flanked by Brooklands motor racing posters from the same era.....

U3oJzFh.jpg

qYBgHqB.jpg

The brown wooden box next to it is a ignition coil box from a Model T Ford from around 1914.......(still trying to get a set of contacts for it, plenty in the USA but sadly cost of postage from the US is prohibitive :()

mUEYeqP.jpg

Impressive setting, I love those posters, and the clock is magnificent. You did a great job cleaning it up. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I also admire your handiwork and rather like the clock. What is of special interest to me is the Ferranti name on the clock, representing an amazing company with a British heritage that was in business from 1885 until 1993 when it went bankrupt and was broken up. The Ferranti name is still in use but no longer the title of a major British company.:)

23 hours ago, John_D said:

mUEYeqP.jpg

Get some relay with similar size of contact buds. Take the silver buds out and solder them with soft solder on place , then file the surface to make it plain... If no relays near, go to a silversmith and tell him to drow some silver wire with proper diameter, then cut several slices of this wire and here are the contacts...

Edited by nevenbekriev
1 minute ago, nevenbekriev said:

I need the complete contact points set as shown in the illustration. The coil box is only ever going to be an ornament and the contact set on top would complete it visually, really only looking for something 'a little distressed' to match the age and appearance of the box.......It would originally have sat in a larger wooden box, attached to the firewall, inside the cab, with another three coils.........

yiekVBm.jpg

ZYkSsZs.jpg

Sadly mine looks like this on top......

6jZMUHB.jpg

22 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I also admire your handiwork and rather like the clock. What is of special interest to me is the Ferranti name on the clock, representing an amazing company with a British heritage that was in business from 1885 until 1993 when it went bankrupt and was broken up. The Ferranti name is still in use but no longer the title of a major British company.:)

Much like Thorne EMI that was broken up about the same time. I worked as a design/development engineer for them in their Lighting Division, based in Enfield North London........ Bought out by the American General Electric  company in the late 1980's and destroyed by 1994 all of the lamp making factories, Enfield, Leicester, Merthyr Tydfil, Preston and even Buckie,  now gone. :rip_1:.........

• Thanks 1

I knew it was a mistake, buying and restoring that Ferranti clock :blush:, it has 'forced' me to buy this definitive book about them .....

LolepmD.jpg

and I now have this Bakelite alarm one in the post, for me to attempt to resurrect......:(

FTQ83Bv.jpg

As seen in this contemporary advert....

HdmTcyf.jpg

I doubt that the 'Future' referred to in the advert contemplated it working some 80 plus years on.....:teethsmile:

Edited by John_D
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Yes, I think you could get thoroughly lost in there. The Matthew Norman carriage clock caught my eye. :rolleyes:

I need certifying, I've bloody done it again, got these two also winging there way to me now (both bought from the same seller, which at least reduced the carriage cost)

pXh6leY.jpg

GeNN3Hw.jpg

iAKYfF5.jpg

sQgJDwN.jpg

At least I can be almost certain now of getting one of the round ones working and fully restored...might get lucky and get them both done.....

As for the square one, lets hope that the missing hand adjuster doesn't go too deep......

For a total outlay of less than £30 for the pair at least they will keep me 'amused' for a few hours:whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A book just on the subject of Ferranti synchronous clocks, and I was thinking of writing a history of the whole Ferranti organization on seeing your first Ferranti. I'll take a very big rain check on that idea.:laugh:

Good luck with the restoration work on the latest additions to your Ferranti collection.:)

Now I really have fallen into the 'Electric Clock Abyss' ..... I have this rather plain Bakelite mantel clock coming now, but for ten quid, if nothing else it will keep me amused for a couple of hours and I'm sure the Bakelite case will clean up a treat:cool:....

NkXzMtQ.jpg

lpyId9B.jpg

I was trying to get this rather decorative offering, but stopped bidding about an hour  from the end when my self imposed limit of £25 was breached....

bz9MZs0.jpg

It was still just over that price a couple of minutes before the end of the auction, but in the last few seconds  madness reigned at it sold for £143 + £14.99 p&p:scared:

Considering it was sold as 'not working' and has some serious metal work corrosion problems to resolve...

eogWtgL.jpg

that sounds just a tad expensive, especially as I had already seen a fully restored example sell for £160..... am I missing something here?..

• Like 2
On 19/11/2020 at 16:41, John_D said:

I need the complete contact points set as shown in the illustration. The coil box is only ever going to be an ornament and the contact set on top would complete it visually, really only looking for something 'a little distressed' to match the age and appearance of the box.......It would originally have sat in a larger wooden box, attached to the firewall, inside the cab, with another three coils.........

yiekVBm.jpg

ZYkSsZs.jpg

Sadly mine looks like this on top......

6jZMUHB.jpg

Much like Thorne EMI that was broken up about the same time. I worked as a design/development engineer for them in their Lighting Division, based in Enfield North London........ Bought out by the American General Electric  company in the late 1980's and destroyed by 1994 all of the lamp making factories, Enfield, Leicester, Merthyr Tydfil, Preston and even Buckie,  now gone. :rip_1:.........

Have you tried Neil Tuckett  for buzz coils ? I bought a job lot of them for spares or repairs at the model T owners club auction held at his Farm when I was running them on my 1925 Model T , afraid don’t have any left now As i converted it to a to Dizzy and sold them on but I’m sure he will be able to help with coils parts and boxes 

https://www.modeltford.co.uk/

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hotbulb said:

Have you tried Neil Tuckett  for buzz coils ? I bought a job lot of them for spares or repairs at the model T owners club auction held at his Farm when I was running them on my 1925 Model T , afraid don’t have any left now As i converted it to a to Dizzy and sold them on but I’m sure he will be able to help with coils parts and boxes 

https://www.modeltford.co.uk/

Cheers, thanks for the heads up, have sent him an email :cool:

Regards John...

• Like 1