• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is with nail in it 

Not necessarily. Hamilton for instance use aluminium cases on some watches.

F.P. Journe, https://monochrome-watches.com/the-aluminium-watch-fp-journe-octa-sport/ and Tissot.

2 hours ago, eezy said:

Does it necessarily follow that if a watch is housed in an alloy case it is of a cheaper, lesser quality overall?

Not necessarily. Hamilton for instance use aluminium cases on some watches.

Hamilton-Field-Watch-Gear-Patrol-Feature

• Like 3
3 hours ago, eezy said:

Does it necessarily follow that if a watch is housed in an alloy case it is of a cheaper, lesser quality overall?

Do you mean an aluminium case? “Aluminium” and “alloy” are two totally different things.

I'm certain that all you would-be-metallurgists realise that the OP was likely referring to watches with cases made from base metals that may be subsequently plated to make them look shinier and/or more precious, potentially belieing the possible quality of the movement and other aspects of the watch's construction.

And the literal answer to the question is no.  Although it's quite often yes.

I hope that's clear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If a watch case was made of steel, stainless steel, titanium, ceramic, gold, silver etc etc, it would not likely be described as alloy would it?

For the pedants I refer to light alloy cases such as aluminium alloy.

38 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Well I knew what you meant. :yes:

How ? An Alloy is a mixture of elemental metals ... Aluminium is actually an element ... so the exact opposite of what he said ,,,, how did you know ? I will read the reply yesterday ,,,, :laugh:

1 hour ago, eezy said:

If a watch case was made of steel, stainless steel, titanium, ceramic, gold, silver etc etc, it would not likely be described as alloy would it?

Accuse us of being pedantic if you like but you didn't specify you were referring to aluminium alloy or other unspecified light alloy. For information watches case materials are often referred to as alloys especially titanium alloy, nickel alloy, gold filled cases which have an alloy core (often brass), chromed cases which are made from an alloy under the plating etc etc.

15 hours ago, eezy said:

It is not pedantry when we would have to be mind readers to know what you meant. 

19 minutes ago, Polyfun said:

It is not pedantry when we would have to be mind readers to know what you meant. 

Especially when the most popular Alloy used on the planet is actually Steel and Stainless steel.

Furthermore , all gold used in watches is an alloy of Gold for very very obvious reasons.

I blame the education system.  :swoon:

4 hours ago, Polyfun said:

Reminds me that somebody once told me that intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Common sense is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.............

• Haha 1