• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Just curious as to what you guys on here think about the various complications on offer. Do you like as many as you can get? A simple dial with nothing to distract? A handy day/date? Moonphase? Or are there any more leftfield choices/styles?

Just looking for ideas/inspiration for my next watch. Personally, I like the idea of a moonphase, although generally pretty useless, it would be a cool extra feature :D I also tend to lean towards a chrono when it comes to aesthetics

For me, it really depends on the overall aesthetic of the watch. 

I have some pieces where the complications really add to the look of the watch and give it an identity and others with dials I'd describe as beautiful but are time only and would be ruined by a complication. 

Just asking the question suggests to me that you favour a busy dial so focus on what you like. 

There's always room for another watch.... 

• Like 2

A date window is as far as i like to go, admittedly some complications do look ok but generally im not overkeen, take this citizen, i know its at the extreme end but (to me) it has no redeeming values at all, moonphase watches can look really classy but even some of them can look like a dogs dinner.

Citizen Eco-Drive Red Arrows Skyhawk Titanium Bracelet Watch - Product number 9621849

Yeah that Citizen is a but too busy for me too. I think I seem to be coming down on the side of the 'vintage styling', with a clean and simple dial. I quite like a few old Omega Seamaster and Rolex's I've seen. But also wouldn't mind a date window/3 dial chrono.

Looks like I'll just have to get one of each :P...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My most 'complicated' watch is a travelers GMT with big date. That's about as far as I'd want to go as it makes sense in context. I'm not a huge fan of chronograph's and think tourbillions are pretty but are useless and 'pretty' can become 'tacky' very easily.

I have always had a hankering for a moonphase complication - don't know why as I would never need it - they just look nice :biggrin: something like this vintage Datora would be great (image from Timezone)

RWpO2nvh.jpg

I have owned quite a few 24 hour and GMT watches - a simple complication but one I enjoy nevertheless - especially the true-24-hour such as my Glycine

large.IMAG1805.jpg.f83987380a7c6728d83a9dc3f3ccda1a.jpg 

Chronographs, I have had a love-hate relationship with them and now only have three mechanical chronographs - an Omega Speedmaster Automatic, Seiko 6139-6002 and a Russian Sturmanskie.

The Omega has a Lemania movement which rather than having a chronograph minute register / subdial has a third hand to register the minutes. Given this leaves some space on the dial there is a 24-hour register, useful if you are in a cave or in space :laugh: 

large.815122611_P9290287-Copy.JPG.0a5770f67b56459eae96df2d269b86e0.JPG

I used to have a Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute but there was so much going on it was hard to tell the time with a 24-hour movement, chronograph and all the Navitimer slide rule scales, I do wish I had kept it, one of the few I regret selling (image from Chronoexpert)

5f564e37141e4.webp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been lucky to have complications including Tourbillon, GMT, Moonphase, triple calendars etc but it all depends on the watch style.  I personally think complex calendar watches with moonphase are best matched with a quartz movement - I rarely wore the Zenith Chronomaster I had as it was not set correctly, and don't yearn for another.

I still have some to tick off the 'never owned but want to' list.  One is a year indicator, like the IWC perpetual da vinci - I know what I would be wearing on NYE!  Another is a the split chronograph, although I have no need to ever use it.  I have never owned a platinum cased watch yet either, but that is not really a complication.  One that is vastly underrated in my eye are ultrathin watches - they are incredible

• Like 1

My twopence worth...

Diver's bezel- use quite alot for timing stuff

Chrono- as for diver's bezel

GMT- never used, really. When I go abroad, I usually just change the time on my watch

Moonphase- looks nice, but not much use, and I don't usually go in for dressy watches that usually have this

Date- miss it if it's not there

Day- don't usually not know what day it is...

Slide rules- had them, never used them

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

I have been lucky to have complications including Tourbillon, GMT, Moonphase, triple calendars etc but it all depends on the watch style.  I personally think complex calendar watches with moonphase are best matched with a quartz movement - I rarely wore the Zenith Chronomaster I had as it was not set correctly, and don't yearn for another.

I still have some to tick off the 'never owned but want to' list.  One is a year indicator, like the IWC perpetual da vinci - I know what I would be wearing on NYE!  Another is a the split chronograph, although I have no need to ever use it.  I have never owned a platinum cased watch yet either, but that is not really a complication.  One that is vastly underrated in my eye are ultrathin watches - they are incredible

I have just (after I took the picture) put my week pointer back one week, as this year has 53 weeks (or at least, 53 Thursdays, which means the whole week 'belongs' to 2020, even if the back end of it is in 2021 ).  Anyway, I put it back just now lest I forget - you cannot use the 'week' quick-set between Saturday and Tuesday!  This is a quartz, and I believe there is a moon phase under the dial.

IMG_20201119_122641372(1).thumb.jpg.4ce3c5a605cec1f9b92dbcff16225898.jpg

I really like my moonphase.

IMG_20201118_125815160(1).jpg.29aed474d1138c7fd9283930dcc0649d.jpg

And as Scott says, unless you have an auto in a winder, quartz is the way to go.  You only have to do a compensating adjustment every 2.5 years with a 58 tooth wheel - I will probably just leave the crown out to stop it for a day in March 2024.  Someone remind me please!

• Like 1

Wow... looks like there a lot more complications available than I first thought [emoji23] amazing what they can think to put on a watch, and then somehow make it work within the constraints of a the case...

I can see the allure of some of them on purely an engineering basis, some are rather impressive.

Also an interesting point to make about the effort/time to set and adjust the more complex ones.

Definitely given me some food for thought here [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1