• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I'm looking for an automatic travel watch which that will last, hopefully not lose too much value and look half decent. I've got a budget of around $200/£150. I was looking at Vostok komandirskie GMT, homage GMT's and some really good looking modded Seiko GMT's on eBay. Am I going to waste my money with these watches? I really like the look of the glycine airman base 22, would it be worth just saving up for that? Thanks in advance.

@rhyb worth mentioning (if you don't already know) that the GMT hand on Vostoks aren't necessarily independently adjustable. 

Could be worthwhile saving up for the Glycine, also Steinhart do GMT watches at reasonable cost.

o1v-gmt_2017_1kx1k_02.1574330600.jpg

2018-07-steinhart-ocean-one-gmt-blue-red

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, rhyb said:

I'm looking for an automatic travel watch which that will last, hopefully not lose too much value and look half decent. I've got a budget of around $200/£150. I was looking at Vostok komandirskie GMT, homage GMT's and some really good looking modded Seiko GMT's on eBay. Am I going to waste my money with these watches? I really like the look of the glycine airman base 22, would it be worth just saving up for that? Thanks in advance.

Rotary Quartz GMT - on offer at H Samuel for £99 you could get this then save up for the Base 22 

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/5525691/rotary+men's+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, apm101 said:

Automatic GMT for £150, with independent GMT hand? The only option I can think of is a Parnis homage, or similar. 

I agree with this. The Parnis or Pagani Design GMTs should cost you no more that £80 on Aliexpress and IMO are the best value for money around this price point. 

11 minutes ago, antjrice said:

Steinhart makes a wonderful watch but you'd be lucky to get a used GMT for less than £400 surely?

€510 for the one I posted with ETA 2893-2/SW330, élaboré inside it.

8 hours ago, antjrice said:

I agree with this. The Parnis or Pagani Design GMTs should cost you no more that £80 on Aliexpress and IMO are the best value for money around this price point. 

i have a couple of watches that i have fitted with the chinese DG3804 ,the movement that these GMT homages use i iam most impressed with their timekeeping.the pagani design brand has a good reputation .i have seen some of their watches and the fit and finish is excellent for the price

If you are travelling then the most convenient is a travelers gmt where the main hour hand can be adjusted without hacking the movement (making adjustment of the local time display easier) . These are extraordinarily rare however your best bet would be a Seiko kinetic gmt which can be found pre-owned for your budget. The cheapest auto Travelers GMT's use the new swatch group movement in Certina, Hamilton and Mido watches (the Mido being the one I'd choose) but these are massively over budget at approaching 1k ukp.

An 'office' GMT where the 24 hour hand can be moved without hacking the movement is perfectly capable of being used when travelling it's just a little more fiddly when setting 'local time; - unless you want to read local time off the 24 hour hand - bad idea that to my mind but up to you - some find it easy. These are much more prevalent and therefore cheaper, Pagani seem to be the current 'homage du jour' with Parnis falling slightly out of favour. It's a shame Steeldive don't do a GMT as I'd have no hesitation in recommending one and they have an affiliated UK distributor.

Personally I'd probably stretch the budget a little for something like a Steinhart. If the budget is immovable Vostok is a well respected brand so go with that.

3 minutes ago, Bobby123 said:

Sorry for confusion here - when people say the gmt hand isn’t independent, what do you mean? Surely you can move the gmt hand (ie if the current time in home country is 3pm you can change the gmt hand to 7pm and the current time zone remains at 3)?

On the Vostok it means the "GMT" hand moves 24 hours in sync with the 12 hour hand, and cannot be set independently.

• Like 1