• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The Bremont Hawking LE

Considering how much everyone enjoys a new Bremont LE, I'm surprised this hasn't already registered here! :biggrin:

Anyway, this one's a stunner, in my opinion. Here's an introduction (well worth a look):

Yesterday,  I followed  a live interactive video presentation by the English Brothers for SE Asia (they have a boutique in HK). It was very well presented and very interesting. Stephen Hawking's daughter joined in on the text banter and his son was interviewed on film. Brian Cox eulogised about Hawking and his legacy and it's clear the brothers have personal emotive involvement with this project, which was first discussed 2 years ago. I'm sure all of this is on their website. As is the fact that the liaison with the Stephen Hawking foundation will be ongoing.

The watches are incredible, even on a live presentation they looked better than in pics. Every part of the watch, bar the movement, is bespoke made for this model. The case back has the slivers of wood from a draw of his desk, there is ceramic, paper from one of his papers listed with the serial number, a piece of meteorite and engravings. That's quite a feat! As said above it is really impressive and very limited, 388 stainless steel, 88 for the other three, including for the first time, a ladies LE.

One of their watchmakers, Andrew (with an Irish lilt in his accent, I believe) talked of the challenge and pleasure of working on such a piece.

One of the interesting questions was about the Bremont approach to LE's and Nick explained it's basically about the celebration of great English (British?) achievements or individuals. There is no set number of x per year, but obviously they are aware of forthcoming celebrations or events and select those that are exceptional and that they are inspired by.

It's on vimeo and will be available for general view.

My favourite is the blue dial with a white gold case. Sadly, the near 19k asking price is a bit of a barrier. The SS model is 7k+. 

BREMONTHAWKING-211-HP.jpg

Bremont-Hawking-Collection-6.jpg

Bremont-Steven-Hawking-caseback.jpg

More info and more excellent videos here and on youtube.

https://www.bremont.com/collections/the-bremont-hawking-collection

27 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I think they're beautiful.

I think it's slightly distracting having Hawking above the power meter...

I like them too but, as @JonnyOldBoy says I think the prices are ridiculous.

The "power meter" is a retrograde seconds hand.  The video cuts away before you can see it in action but I presume it snaps back to zero after 30 seconds and then counts 30 seconds for a second time to account for a full minute.  If timing a full minute, how can you be sure whether you're seeing the first 30 seconds or 31 to 60 seconds?  Not sure Prof. Hawking would approve of such a device.  Instead of going into a gentle orbit around the Moon the possible miscalculation could have you flying into the Sun! 

• Haha 2

I was made aware of the watch prior to this thread being posted, and had spent a bit of time studying its qualities. Personally I have no interest in buying "theme" watches, that's a matter of my taste, but I am, non the less, interested in learning about their technical innovation (if any). There was a flourish of exuberance from watch industry commentators offering their opinion on this watch, but on doing a quick word count, the majority of words seem to be about Steven Hawking, with less about the watch technicalities, especially "the new chronometer-certified BE-33AE movement", what is it ? One comment I read claims it to be a modified ETA2892, but I can find no evidence as to whether this is fact or fiction. For a watch at the prices quoted, personally, I would like to know what is inside it, it's origins, where it is made etc. Given the high price tag, and limited numbers, there will be a ready audience who will rightfully appreciate such a watch, making the project financially worthwhile for Bremont.

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I was made aware of the watch prior to this thread being posted, and had spent a bit of time studying its qualities. Personally I have no interest in buying "theme" watches, that's a matter of my taste, but I am, non the less, interested in learning about their technical innovation (if any). There was a flourish of exuberance from watch industry commentators offering their opinion on this watch, but on doing a quick word count, the majority of words seem to be about Steven Hawking, with less about the watch technicalities, especially "the new chronometer-certified BE-33AE movement", what is it ? One comment I read claims it to be a modified ETA2892, but I can find no evidence as to whether this is fact or fiction. For a watch at the prices quoted, personally, I would like to know what is inside it, it's origins, where it is made etc. Given the high price tag, and limited numbers, there will be a ready audience who will rightfully appreciate such a watch, making the project financially worthwhile for Bremont.

Until they introduce their own movements, their models are all modified versions of others. That's not really anything new. It's been a little while since they were able to qualify for COSC, not being Swiss made. So they are ISO chronometer rated instead. But I agree with your point about what is the base movement used. 

21 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

I like them too but, as @JonnyOldBoy says I think the prices are ridiculous.

The "power meter" is a retrograde seconds hand.  The video cuts away before you can see it in action but I presume it snaps back to zero after 30 seconds and then counts 30 seconds for a second time to account for a full minute.  If timing a full minute, how can you be sure whether you're seeing the first 30 seconds or 31 to 60 seconds?  Not sure Prof. Hawking would approve of such a device.  Instead of going into a gentle orbit around the Moon the possible miscalculation could have you flying into the Sun! 

I found that frustrating as well, I wanted to see it jump back and was annoyed they didn't show it.