• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What if you found The One ...

I have not flipped a lot of watches, but I have sold a few, primarily I think because they were bought via the internet without seeing them first, and have failed to meet expectations in one way or another, but a few have exceeded expectations, and I have worn them more than I thought I might - some watches are clearly in rotation and go back in boxes or displays, but some become part of my inner circle.  However, I can imagine- since it has almost happened - that one day a watch may arrive that I want to wear every day, and feel reluctant to take off - should I - would you - consciously start thinning out your collection at that point, of your other 'everyday' watches. 

Obviously some of my watches are collected out of interest rather than practicality, like one may collect stamps or thimbles, but there is another group which are basically just 'too many watches' (if that was a thing) akin to hoarding.  Right now I like ringing the changes, and they don't offend me, but I have a feeling I could stumble upon a favourite, and tire of the merry-go-round. 

Has a watch ever arrived on your doorstep that made you feel your other watches were supernumerary, thus leading to a big clear out?  Or could it ...

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I had found "the one" but ended up selling it to @Roger the Dodger  I have thought about selling up all my mid and higher priced watches and buy an AP Royal Oak but have never been able

I like a selection of watches too but have found a couple I consider my keepers.   

No such thing as "The One" for me.  Like most members on here, I enjoy having a selection of watches to choose from, and I like the thrill of a new watch arriving. I have just started to reduce t

Posted Images

It will never happen! Oh how the long for that day to arrive! I think about least once a day. I run through entire collection in my head, which ones to keep, which to sell on etc and keep trying to convince myself that I only really need 1 watch but then I have emotional or sentimental values to certain watches and I'm back to square one.

• Thanks 1

Yup. My SBDX017 knocked my watch buying on the head. Along with radio signal syncing G-Shock for work I don't really need anything else. 

Haven't got rid of any of my other watches yet but other than dad's old Timex I would imagine they will all go eventually.

Still looking but not for a dive watch. Chronographs don't do much for me , I find them mostly far too fussy of dial.

My globe trotting days are behind me now. Having tried to like GMT style watches I find that the moronically simple maths involved rather fails to justify the silly price tags of the better travel watches. 

A Globemaster or perhaps an elegant GS - something of that ilk might frighten the plastic oblong at some point. The search continues but the pace has slowed ...

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 22/11/2020 at 08:14, Bonzodog said:

About a decade back I bought a non date sub,sold my other watches.What follows is another story:bash:

Yeah, maybe I should pretend to sell them, and post them back to myself!

One of the reasons I don't wear my old Tag 6000 much is because it reminds me I don't need my other watches ...

• Haha 1

Highly unlikely I will ever find the one. 

I admit have too many watches, I have too many shirts.....trainers...coats...aftershaves.

It’s complicated, I get a rush when I make a purchase, I love variety and choice, I like to change my look on a daily basis, I like different. 

I go to London and see the boys in their office uniforms of navy suits, white shirt, polished black shoes and tie. I think thank god that’s not me. 

What I’ve spent over the last few years on building up my collection I could have probably got one or two really decent pieces, but I wouldn’t have the choice I have. 

I could sell a few watches but when I think of the hassle of EBay and what I would get for them, it’s not worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 22/11/2020 at 10:05, Nick67+1 said:

Highly unlikely I will ever find the one. 

I admit have too many watches, I have too many shirts.....trainers...coats...aftershaves.

It’s complicated, I get a rush when I make a purchase, I love variety and choice, I like to change my look on a daily basis, I like different. 

I go to London and see the boys in their office uniforms of navy suits, white shirt, polished black shoes and tie. I think thank god that’s not me. 

What I’ve spent over the last few years on building up my collection I could have probably got one or two really decent pieces, but I wouldn’t have the choice I have. 

I could sell a few watches but when I think of the hassle of EBay and what I would get for them, it’s not worth it. 

I have done ok on eBay, not made any money (even if you sell for more than you bought, you lose 10%), but not lost much either, but I have pulled the last couple I had on, now they have taken on all the payment system and want my inside leg measurement.

Since lockdown I have started wearing a smaller selection of clothes and shoes deliberately to try and wear them out, throw them out, and de-clutter. 

• Like 1

I thought I had found "the one" but ended up selling it to @Roger the Dodger :laugh:

I have thought about selling up all my mid and higher priced watches and buy an AP Royal Oak but have never been able to pull the trigger. I just know there would be a horological mission creep and I would start building up a collection again! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If I went to a one-watch collection , I would probably either keep my Breitling Colt ..... or give that to my lad and buy an Omega AT 39mm .....

But whilst I loiter in the 4-6 watches collection total , I am happy to rotate my Breilting and my 300M for weekly use m so never really thought about it , but no , there is not a show stopper out there for me ...

• Thanks 1

In a similar vein a person can like and keep a watch merely because it has an unusual tale behind it, maybe its been around the world with you, maybe its had an hard life and been beaten battered, dropped from great heights, etc and has the scars to prove it, but still keeps ticking merrily away.

I suppose this isnt in the vein the OP meant but its still relevant to a degree...basically the best looking watch isnt necessarily the one you like to wear for a myraid of reasons.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, sabailand said:

In a similar vein a person can like and keep a watch merely because it has an unusual tale behind it, maybe its been around the world with you, maybe its had an hard life and been beaten battered, dropped from great heights, etc and has the scars to prove it, but still keeps ticking merrily away.

And here we have a genuine round the world by motorcycle watch, that also fills all the other criteria mentioned,

large.16060608421636383506552314706259.jpg.da408ca40bd7099c2f5fe4d8424b506a.jpg

and it still works perfectly well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im thinking of going down to a 2 watch collection....an old Seiko KS chronometer and an old twin quartz. The latter already with me and i like it so much nothing else really gets worn. And i want the old ks 45....but....i like what i would need to sell to afford the chronometer and like you say Jet....if it turns up and im  diappointed then ill be upset like i was when i felt let down by the feel of an omega pre bond...and converseley like im over the moon with the quality of a 1981 pulsar thats supposed to be for my dad for christmas. It was only 15 quid and its mint....it would be a shame to let him wreck it...which he will. 

Still feel a need for a 45 ks that upset the Swiss in Chronometer trials....

Edited by Nigelp
  • Like 2

A one watch collection is a Rolex Datejust, which really does everything rather well.

But as my favourite watch is the next one just having one will not work for me.  Today I have worn a Tissot Atollo modern quartz diver, a 1951 bulova tank, a 1970 gold Longines and now a 90s rotary, all collected yesterday.  Can't wait to see what arrives tomorrow.

• Like 2

I thought I had convinced myself I should by a "better" watch, or two, since I have the funds to do it. Problem is, I see a four figure price and I just can't do it, or at least, I have yet to see anything I feel justifies that kind of money. The nearest I got was the Longines Admiral, which is lovely, but well under budget. (I also bought a Longines Ultra-Chron, but that turned out to have serious problems - it would randomly lose 15 minutes and the crown jammed when I tried to handwind it, so that went back and was refunded.)

• Thanks 1

To be fair this is a self defeating prophetic question for me at least, as in 'i'm still searching for the one. I honestly will never find. And I don't think any of you lot will either. Even you @Jet Jetski i think you will reach a never ending chapter at the finish of this novel. 

12 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

If I went to a one-watch collection , I would probably either keep my Breitling Colt ..... or give that to my lad and buy an Omega AT 39mm .....

But whilst I loiter in the 4-6 watches collection total , I am happy to rotate my Breilting and my 300M for weekly use m so never really thought about it , but no , there is not a show stopper out there for me ...

My incoming is 39mm Zelos - not a 4 figure watch but I have been looking for an interesting field watch for a bit. I nearly bought an Alpinist a long time ago, but the cathedral hands are a bit artificially interesting, nice, but a field watch needs some authenticity IMHO and less lace, if it is modern.  Citizen make some jolly good ones, but I had a few and they have been easy to overlook when choosing a watch from the box.  So I have high hopes for my new arrival, but to go full circle, I have never seen one in the flesh.  Will it be the one ...

• Like 1

I have a couple of watches which I think could delivered a one-watch status but as someone that very much enjoys having the collection, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

I could try and imagine the scenario where I consolidated my entire collection (and then some.....) into a Nautilus and that would be all I ever needed from that point, but I guarentee that if I were in that place, it would only be a matter of time before other stuff creeped onto my radar.

I've had periods where i've really stressed out about my collection and have realised that as long as you have only got the stuff you want to wear (and don't feel like you are obligated to rota in because you own it), it doesn't matter how many watches you have.

• Thanks 1

No such thing as "The One" for me.  Like most members on here, I enjoy having a selection of watches to choose from, and I like the thrill of a new watch arriving.

I have just started to reduce the numbers though, (after talking about it for ages :laugh:) and I sold 7 watches last week.  Of course, I did what any sensible person on here would do, and immediately bought another one... :whistle:  I hadn't really taken much notice of my Paypal balance while I was selling, but by sheer coincidence the total for all 7 just about covered the new one - What are the chances of that? :swoon:

• Like 3
14 hours ago, chris l said:

Looking back I think I owned the one, but failed to realise it at the time

A beautiful Okeah; I can't justify the price they are now, but definitely the one I miss most...

I have a not very beautiful OKEAH coming back from a service - the replacement minute counter will have to go ...

DSC_0262.thumb.JPG.5bd8b21885bc723401ce276c481231bc.JPG

Was yours an old one or a new (re-issue) one?

28 minutes ago, ong said:

I like a selection of watches too but have found a couple I consider my keepers. 

IMG_20201120_104218.jpg

IMG_20201117_175004.jpg

They are nice, but a bit light on legibility for me to be a 'go to' or GADA watch.  Definitely a solid seven though, both of them.

9 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I have a not very beautiful OKEAH coming back from a service - the replacement minute counter will have to go ...

DSC_0262.thumb.JPG.5bd8b21885bc723401ce276c481231bc.JPG

Was yours an old one or a new (re-issue) one?

If I knew which was the minute counter id know which one was shot at. 

4 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

If I knew which was the minute counter id know which one was shot at. 

The small orange hand - the old one was knackered apparently, but it was an original arrow shaped design, this one is a parallel like the seconds counter, just painted orange to try and match the big chrono seconds pointer.  But that obviously failed because the big second pointer was very faded - so that got repainted too ...  but then I guess that is the fate of Russian watches.  I know a chap who spends ages looking for original battered examples then restores them into something he would not consider buying ...

• Thanks 1