• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Senior Sunday (pre-1980)

Morning,

A lump of ‘70s steel with this Jules Jürgensen which is powered by the 13j ESA 9154 Dynotron and wears every bit as chunky as it looks.

J.J. has a fascinating but ever-descending history. However, back in the day, this was a high quality brand, some rare examples of which have fetched eye-watering prices  -  like six-figure eye-watering.

For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, today’s effort is not one of those.

Regards.

Jules J. 2020 2 v.2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Today's offering, the constantly baffling Orefa. With its handwinding Lorsa movement and caseback stamped with the Miserez logo and "Besancon" I'm pretty sure this example is French. But then I saw an "Orfa" with a very similar wordmark and an HPP-signed movement from Henzi and Pfaff. "Mechanical Watches - An Annotated Bibliography of publications since 1800" by Richard Watkins (available via Google Books) lists Ore, Orfa and Orefa as H&P signatures. I reckon something was going on between H&P and André Fierobe, Fabrique de Montres Oréfa in Charquemont, and possibly Montres Dreffa in Switzerland, all of whom had the trademark in the 1950s. But I have no idea what.

Orefa

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 6
13 hours ago, martinzx said:

Vintage Junghans Tank cal J59 circa late 1930's early 1940's :thumbsup:
photo taken just now.

20201122_072614.jpg

When I said I wouldnt be distracted Martin...I'd better mention i've been looking at vintage Cartier Tank Normale(s)...guess id best get saving. Thats very classy. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, sewingman said:

A nice 0903-8089 (4004) from 1977..:)...Bob.

47805645321-a61c7fc331-o.jpg

4004 is a superb movement and some really good quality cases. Very nice. Another forgotten seiko 70s gem. 

2 minutes ago, martinzx said:

I have been wearing this vintage Zenith Defy this evening :thumbsup:

IMG_4676.jpg

Nice martin, how is the Zenith collection coming on? Hope the ones from me are still running ok for you. I do miss that gold 87 mistral

...knew i would lol. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Nice martin, how is the Zenith collection coming on? Hope the ones from me are still running ok for you. I do miss that gold 87 mistral

.knew i would lol. 

Hi Nigel,

I currently have 13 vintage Zeniths, I do like them but prices seem to be rising quite rapidly, also I have become quite picky so I take my time with purchases these days.
I am currently acquiring a Respirator AF / P 36000bph, but the deal is not quite done... We will see.
Yes I still have the Zenith Mistral. and yes they are both running well.

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

Edited by martinzx
Typo
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, martinzx said:

Hi Nigel,

I currently have 13 vintage Zeniths, I do like them but prices seem to be rising quite rapidly, also I have become quite picky so I take my time with purchases these days.
I am currently acquiring a Respirator AF / P 36000bph, but the deal is not quite done... We will see.
Yes I still have the Zenith Mistral. and yes they are both running well.

Cheers Martin :thumbsup:

Good stuff Martin. Do an sotc when you get chance of them all. Id love to see the gold mistral with all those. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1