• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Saphir for hand made shoes.

I'm a bit of a fan of hand made shoes. I've just picked up a pair of Barker Anniversary full cut Brogues. Which were tailor made (wrapped for Christmas...) I enjoy the process of polishing them, just like with cars or watches. 

Ive used Saphir for a while now, lovely stuff and smells good to. 

These arent the full cuts, but my work Barkers came up nice. Sole guard...im dubious of but thought i'd try it. 

1606158786045-1147542836.jpg

1606158811475-1134938859.jpg

16061588414491713627773.jpg

Theres an interesting chanel on YT for anyone inclined as I am. Kirby Alison I find it therapy after a day at the 'office'...

I enjoy the Parisian shine process.

This is a bit of fun too. One of those little things that feels good.

• Like 3

I really like Saphir too. I've never heard of 'sole guard', please do let me know if it's any good.

I have a few pair of Barker's, although I haven't worn them since the beginning of March.

Thank you for the YT links. I'l try the knot because I was forever tieing the laces on a particular pair of Barker's.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Shoughie0 said:

I really like Saphir too. I've never heard of 'sole guard', please do let me know if it's any good.

I have a few pair of Barker's, although I haven't worn them since the beginning of March.

Thank you for the YT links. I'l try the knot because I was forever tieing the laces on a particular pair of Barker's.

You are welcome, enjoy, the pate de luxe is my name sake. To be fair it has been far to wet to wear my twin leathers also. I will try them with the sole guard and let you know. The knot is fab. 

I do get the impression that money is still being spent on "snake oil". As someone who wore handmade boots for all their working life, there seems to be more "product" per head of bespoke footwear wearers than there was in the heyday of handmade/ leather soled footwear, and it would be interesting to find out if all this stuff did anything other than line the pockets of those who push it. The only thing that stood up to my daily abuse were handmade Braemasters with leather soles. The tried and tested method for longevity (I kid you not) was to fill up each boot to the top with a 50/50 mixture of butchers dripping and hoof oil held in by generous bellows tongues, and hang them from a rafter for 6 months, then decanting the content into your second pair and topping up. Obviously this would mean having 2 pairs, but the "oil" would penetrate both uppers and sole uniformly, and keep both waterproof and supple. I recently bought some "special" oil for my current boots and @ £25 and it smells, and looks remarkably like the stuff I previously used out of my nieces tack shop for £3.95. I've always fired some neutral polish on the soles of my dress boots, and according to an old bootmaker I knew, you should always wear a pair of leather soles for the first time on a dry dusty day, who knows ? In the past I've always bought whatever the nearest supermarkets have had in stock until I recently got a tin of this stuff, which, in my opinion anyway, is excellent.

61MY9AdrQdL._AC_UY500_.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I do get the impression that money is still being spent on "snake oil". As someone who wore handmade boots for all their working life, there seems to be more "product" per head of bespoke footwear wearers than there was in the heyday of handmade/ leather soled footwear, and it would be interesting to find out if all this stuff did anything other than line the pockets of those who push it. The only thing that stood up to my daily abuse were handmade Braemasters with leather soles. The tried and tested method for longevity (I kid you not) was to fill up each boot to the top with a 50/50 mixture of butchers dripping and hoof oil held in by generous bellows tongues, and hang them from a rafter for 6 months, then decanting the content into your second pair and topping up. Obviously this would mean having 2 pairs, but the "oil" would penetrate both uppers and sole uniformly, and keep both waterproof and supple. I recently bought some "special" oil for my current boots and @ £25 and it smells, and looks remarkably like the stuff I previously used out of my nieces tack shop for £3.95. I've always fired some neutral polish on the soles of my dress boots, and according to an old bootmaker I knew, you should always wear a pair of leather soles for the first time on a dry dusty day, who knows ? In the past I've always bought whatever the nearest supermarkets have had in stock until I recently got a tin of this stuff, which, in my opinion anyway, is excellent.

61MY9AdrQdL._AC_UY500_.jpg

Thanks, yes makes sense I grit my leather soles up in the dry when new. To be honest Ive always used kiwi, but ive always enjoyed shiny shoes. Even at school i would polish them every night and enjoy doing it. I got the saphir because i saw it on line. It wasnt massively expensive. About £8 a tin for the wax and 12 for the cream. The sole guard im not convinced. To be fair leather soles seem a lot softer than they were say 20 or 30 years ago. My Barker Anniversary are actually new old stock vintage. I will post pics when Christmas comes. I like Barkers because my first pair of good shoes were Barkers when I started work. I think it was instilled into me to wear good shoes. My gran used to give me £1 a week as a child on condition i spent it on good shoes. My mum used to save it up and take me to K shoes in Nelson Lancs and as @BondandBigM will point out their foot measuring device nuked my young foot with radiation. 

Ive also done the soles with dubbing which seems to soak in ok.

The saphir pate deluxe seems very nice and the cream removed old waxes without sticking in the vamp. 

I will try some neutral polish on the soles. 

Edited by Nigelp
17 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Thanks, yes makes sense I grit my leather soles up in the dry when new. To be honest Ive always used kiwi, but ive always enjoyed shiny shoes. Even at school i would polish them every night and enjoy doing it. I got the saphir because i saw it on line. It wasnt massively expensive. Abot £8 a tin for the was and 12 for the cream. The sole guard im not convinced. To be fair leather soles seem a lot softer than they were say 20 or 30 years ago. My Barker Anniversary are actually new old stock vintage. I will post pics when Christmas comes. I like Barkers because my first pair of good shoes were Barkers when I started work. I think it was instilled into me to wear good shoes. My gran used to give me £1 a week as a child on condition i spent it on good shoes. My mum used to save it up and take me to K shoes in Nelson Lancs and as @BondandBigM will point out their foot measuring device nuked my young foot with radiation. 

Ive also done the soles with dubbing which seems to soak in ok.

The saphir pate deluxe seems very nice and the cream removed old waxes without sticking in the vamp. 

Yep remember those machines from when I was a child and as I’ve said previously my first job was in a shoe shop when I was 14ish so early 70’s They still had one of those X-ray cabinets but it wasn’t used.

50645908647_616ff18326_c.jpg

Even back then at the cash register there was a big cabinet full of various cleaning and shoe care products and we were regularly told to push sales of them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Two significant years there. My dad was born in 1946 and I was born in 1972. And on the same day the dog went daft and ripped the door panels off his Zephyr. 

5 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Yep remember those machines from when I was a child and as I’ve said previously my first job was in a shoe shop when I was 14ish so early 70’s They still had one of those X-ray cabinets but it wasn’t used.

50645908647_616ff18326_c.jpg

Even back then at the cash register there was a big cabinet full of various cleaning and shoe care products and we were regularly told to push sales of them.

Its like car polish int it a lot of profit in it. I polish the car with meguiars which is American and polish my shoes with saphir which is french. A lot comes from know how with horse tac i think. Yep the x ray machine...loads of kids getting nuked. 

To be fair i cant really see any improvement on kiwi but it smells lovely. 

These seem decent @BondandBigM

16063328398551261958091.jpg

Wouldnt mind some fishmarkets. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...