• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Incoming - Another Bulova Precisionist

Davey P

Well, my plans to reduce the collection were coming along nicely, with 8 sold in the past week so far.  But then the inevitable happened, and I couldn't help myself........... :whistle:  This one has been on my radar for a few years, and when a couple of them came up on ebay I just had to pull the trigger.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your viewing pleasure... the mighty Bulova Precisionist 98B166:

20201124_123240

It's a pretty big lump of metal, at around 45mm, and quite heavy as well, but it sit's nicely on my 7.5" wrist.  My photo hasn't really captured the finish very well, so you can't see the carbon fibre segments on the dial, and the smooth sweeping seconds hand has a more metallic "anodised" look.  The seller described it as "flawless" but there are some fine scratches on the polished case, so that was perhaps a bit misleading.  However, nothing that stands out when viewed on the wrist, and it definitely won't spoil my enjoyment of this awesome looking beast.

Here's one final gratuitous wrist shot from the other side:

20201124_123247

As you might expect from Bulova, the quality is excellent.  Not sure I will be going anywhere near the 1000 ft depth rating, and the extraordinary looking bezel lock is probably a bit over the top for my needs, but it does look... er... different anyway :laugh:

So, the clear out is going well, and I've made a bit of space, now all I need to do is be strong and stop buying anything new for a while........ :whistle:

As always, any comments welcome :thumbsup:

:rltrlt:

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

I quite like the quirkiness of the lock and have looked at these myself before. The case size is just a bit big for me. Looks in good condition. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Yep, it's certainly a bit quirky, that's for sure! :laugh:

The case size looks fine on my wrist, but might be too big for a lot of people.  The weight of the watch head means it needs to be worn quite tightly fastened to stop it sliding around, which might not suit everyone.  Definitely an acquired taste I reckon, but it does look awesome IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on this one: After wearing the watch a few times since it arrived a fortnight ago, I was finding the strap a bit uncomfortable.  There were a couple of issues, the watch is quite top heavy, so the strap needed to be quite tightly fastened to stop any movement. Also, the strap is VERY long, with each side probably at least 1" longer than a standard strap, which put the buckle on the side of my wrist instead of behind it. Also, the material is quite stiff resin, with hardly any "give".  I was starting to think the unthinkable, and considering a "catch and release".......... :swoon:  But then I had an idea... 

I've got a lovely black rubber strap from a Nixon digital watch, probably the best and most comfortable strap I've ever known.  I've tried it on a few watches, and it's always been great.  As luck would have it, the size was perfect (a larger than average 24mm) so I thought it was worth a try, to see if it would improve the comfort of the Precisionist.  I removed the existing strap, and gave the watch head sides a quick wipe over with some Autosol metal cleaner to improve the fine surface scratches, then rinsed the residue off with clear water and an old toothbrush.  After fitting the Nixon strap, the watch is transformed :yahoo:  The soft rubber is quite flexible, and holds the watch in place on the wrist much better than the original strap.

Here are a couple of quick photos:

20201209_112922

20201209_113023

And of course, a gratuitous wrist shot:

20201209_113511

I'm chuffed to bits, and now have an awesome watch that is now even more awesome - Get in! :yahoo:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davey P said:

A quick update on this one: After wearing the watch a few times since it arrived a fortnight ago, I was finding the strap a bit uncomfortable.  There were a couple of issues, the watch is quite top heavy, so the strap needed to be quite tightly fastened to stop any movement.

Is the case back slab-flat, or are the lugs profiled at all ? Clever design for big watch , pretty much as long as it is wide .....