• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What watch (again no doubt)?

Ugg10

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I have booked to look at and try some watches next Monday (bank holiday) so will let you know how it goes. Specifically asked to see the Grans Seiko Snowflake, Omega Aqua Terra 38 and 41mm with white dial and Rolex Perpetual 36 and 41mm with Blue dial plus any wild cards they wish to throw in. 

Any last ideas I need to add to those already provided? Will report back what I find.

2 hours ago, Ugg10 said:

Any last ideas I need to add to those already provided? Will report back what I find.

Can’t go far wrong with any of those really. It will be interesting to see what you choose.

Definitely will be. Rolex don’t do a dial that in pictures I am immediately wowed by, blue is the closest, but they do have the name/brand etc., I have had omega and know they are quality and the white dial/orange hand look good IMO. The GS on paper hits the mark and to me is pretty good looking and I have no issues with the light weight titanium, I am used to a small light watch to no preconceptions of weight = quality. 

Oh, anyone bought form Watches of Mayfair, their prices seem almost too good to be true (15% discount), are they a decent company and can deliver what their website says? 

Doing one last scout through the websites to see if there is anything that takes my fancy and spotted the Rolex Air-King. Looks to have a movement that is a step up from the perpetual +/-2sec and has magnetic shielding. Anyone got any thoughts on this compared to the perpetual, is the extra £700 worth it I guess also?

Spending that much money, I would buy something at the £500 mark and spend 6 months watching which of your choices go down in price with their % from original and buy the one that has dropped the least.

If you see one on the rise across all sellers, that's the one. 

It sounds like you would be happy with them all so the wisest choice would be the one that (in the short time of 6 months) drops the least amount of money in that time.

@SolaVeritate thanks for the comment but I have no interest in resale values as this will be my only watch and I expect it will last 30+ years (like my previous one) and will probably see me out. They are around the same budget and prices haven’t moved over the past three months or so I have been looking but one reseller is currently giving around 15% discount on two of the watches so if one of those happen to push all the right buttons it will give me a bartering point to work from. 

• Like 1

Well, that was a damp squib and I don’t think I am much the wiser.

Emailed the dealer last week end and provided a list of three watches I wanted to view - White face Omega Aqua Terra on bracelet, Blue face Rolex Perpetual and Grand Seiko Snowflake. Arrive today at the booked time and they had none of them!! Closest was the Aqua Terra on a rubber strap and no Perpetuals in the shop only Date Just so at least I could compare a little, not much in it. The only bonus was that I now know my wrist can take the 41mm watch size which I thought it may not. 

The Omega was very nice, modern looking especially with the rubber strap, but no big wow factor at this point. I did see a second hand Rolex Milgauss in a shop window and that looked nice so the Air King is certainly worth looking into I think.

Looks like a trip to the smoke may be needed to see all three/four on the list.

(apologies for the doggy old phone photos).

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51216254665_501dbc038b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51215185766_eeeb1e6e1e.jpg[/img]

51216254665_501dbc038b.jpg
51215185766_eeeb1e6e1e.jpg