• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What watch (again no doubt)?

Ugg10

So, my first post so please be gentle.

I have owned an Omega Seamaster Polaris (the bi-coloured one with digital/analogue movement) for over 30 years (bought 1990) which has rarely been off my wrist. It is a bit of a triggers broom having has a new back, replacement movement and strap repairs but when I sent it in for a new battery recently I have been informed it needs a full overhaul and is now beyond economical repair. So, I am looking for a new watch, hence joining the forum.

Having done a search I’d be grateful if “the forum” could provide some guidance on the pros/cons of the following watches that have taken my eye. Happy to receieve good and bad comments as I want to gain as much knowledge before I take the leap and buy. So the short (longish) list is (it should be noted that I have a small wrist (18cm) and a 40/41mm is probably the largest I can go, smaller would be better)- 

1. Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 41mm, steel on steel with grey face and blue highlights, 220.10.41.21.06.001
  2. Rolex Oyster Perpetual 41, Silver or black dial, Reference 124300
  3. Hublot Classic Fusion 38mm, Titanium strap, 568.NX.1170.NX
  4. Bremont Solo37 White Bracelet
  5. IWC Aquatimer Automatic, steel strap/black face  or Jacque Cousteau version, IW329002

Now the IWC may be on the large side and the Hublot is definitely at the very top of the budget but hopefully this gives you and idea of style I like. So, any help on the pros/cons of each, personal experience or others to look at would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance from a newbie buying a watch for himself for the first time in 30 years. (Note, I have recently bought a Bell & Ross BR05 for my son so have a bit of an idea, but very limited).

• Like 1

No brainer from that list in my opinion ... The Omega AT is the better proposition all round. But it does wear a tad "big" so try it on and also compare with the 39mm white faced AT .... 4 and 5 will be "Volvos" [ they will loose 30% of their value the moment you drive them off the forecourt ] 3 I assume you put in to make sure we are all still awake ....  2. means you need to bend over and get a cavity search at a smarmy Rolex AD so ..... it smells options 1 all day long ... :-)

• Like 2

@JonnyOldBoy Thanks for the response, much appreciated. 

Had a look at the 38mm (220.10.38.20.02.001) vs 41mm Aqua Terra, is there any significant difference between the two movements (8800 vs 8900)?

As for the Hublot, are you saying it is not worth the extra £££ or is it a class above the others, I think I read it uses a bought in movement, is this an issue or is there a name mark up because it is a Hublot? The ATs are around £5k and the Hublot £6.4K (or £5.5 with leather strap) is it worth the difference? 

11 minutes ago, Ugg10 said:

@JonnyOldBoy Thanks for the response, much appreciated. 

Had a look at the 38mm (220.10.38.20.02.001) vs 41mm Aqua Terra, is there any significant difference between the two movements (8800 vs 8900)?

As for the Hublot, are you saying it is not worth the extra £££ or is it a class above the others, I think I read it uses a bought in movement, is this an issue or is there a name mark up because it is a Hublot? The ATs are around £5k and the Hublot £6.4K (or £5.5 with leather strap) is it worth the difference? 

Hublot watches are great wrist pieces but vastly over priced for what they are. Both Omega co-axial movements fabulous and no significant different although the smaller movement is  an older variant ...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

5 will be "Volvos" [ they will loose 30% of their value the moment you drive them off the forecourt

Not at the moment for the Bremont. Jura's sale and others have very good sale prices for selected Bremonts and others. 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Philz said:

Can’t comment on your choices but there is a good chance someone on here can give a second opinion on your Omega  It may be worth saving for less than Omega prices  

By all means, get a new watch if you fancy one but I absolutely agree with the above. Economical repair sounds like a unecessary parameter for a watch that has shared the last 30 years with you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. 

Just to put a bit of context to the “uneconomical” bit. The watch went in for a battery change (they last around 3 years on this watch), initially came back with a palatable £80 but that was not sealed. Now, if you do an eBay search you will see loads of “for spares” sales as the whole face is an LCD and if you don’t have it sealed then the moisture kills the screen (this watch is on its third movement, and they are hard to find). It was then sent off for a quote to change the battery and re-seal. £900 quote came back including a long list of worn out items to be replaced. 

Now don’t get me wrong, 30 years is a long time to have the same watch on your wrist every day but the watch is very much showing it’s age including quite loose links in the bracelet where it has worn, one of the strap anchor points has worn through and had to be mended, I suspect the others are not far off, and it is looking well used and with the internals needing significant work I think it is time to open another watch chapter. I could just buy another second hand Polaris for £500 ish, retire this one and carry on, which did cross my mind, but it will still be a 30+ year old digital watch.

Please do keep the comments coming they are much appreciated and also do let me know of any alternatives that I should look at. 

• Like 1

I have a similar Aqua Terra.  The main difference in the movement is that the 38mm has a quick date change l,  whilst the 41 has a hour change which is useful if you travel a lot.  I felt the 38mm was a little small on my wrist,  one needs to try both on in the shop to be sure which suits you best.  Both movements are metas certified so the same quality. As an owner I am biased but I do think the Aqua Terra is the best of your choices. The Hublot in my opinion is over priced the datejust would be a better comparison for the aqua Terra. The oyster perpetual is a great watch if you don't want a date,  I would suggest the Brremont isn't of the same quality as the rest & I would also venture over priced, I have no experience of the IWC so can't really comment. The best thing to do is go in to ADs & try the ones you are considering & see which speaks to you the most. 

• Like 1

Choice is such a personal thing - I really don't like doing recommendations.

I also don't 'get' you selection - some are dive watches, others aren't?

Whilst I appreciate Rolex - I just find this 'You should be honoured to buy from us' attitude a bit of-putting - plus it's my 'perception' that most people who buy one do so for the Name/Brand - rather than the quality or history behind it. I also think their prices have risen too much. 

Having said that - I find the Milgauss strangely appealing.  

I regret to say I also feel Omega are moving the same way as Rolex.

Out of the ones you've identified I'd go for the Bremont - but personally, if I were to buy a Bremont I'd prefer their Armed Forces Arrow Watch.

17 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Well I'm biased, and worth waiting for.

Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-41-124300-watch-1

That is really nice - congratulations 

All, many thanks for your replies. So looks like a toss up between the Omega Aqua Terra and the Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Looking at the Omega site, if my wrist can take the 41mm size then the white face with orange highlights is very appealing. Unfortunately this is not a colour combination available in the smaller sizes if 41mm is too big (either that or I will need to eat more pies!).

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-co-axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-22010412102001

@KAS118 Thanks for the heads up on the Bremont Armed Forces but I prefer a simple dial and not keen on the Chronograph style ones. 

omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-22010412

1 hour ago, Ugg10 said:

All, many thanks for your replies. So looks like a toss up between the Omega Aqua Terra and the Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

The OP wears VERY different to the AT. The OP wears much lighter in one sense because of its geometry but the tapered bracelet means the case has more weight feeling when moving. The AT is more solid on the wrist. Both feel very very different. Not good or bad, just different. But the visual presence is a huge difference. The OP is more subtle, and the AT more stand-out. They really are like chalk and cheese. If you try both on at the same AD you will almost instantly favour one of them....

Edited by JonnyOldBoy
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here, hope that is ok. 

Anyway, now the shops are starting to open and I now have funds available the search starts in earnest. Not really looked for a while so there may be new models available that I have not seen before.

I have been wearing a very cheap watch to get me by and so this has given me an idea of size limitations for my scrawny little wrist. The Omega Polaris was a dainty 32mm case which I was obviously used to for 30+ years, the cheap as chips watch is 40mm which is the absolute max I can go to, but probably somewhere in between is the most likely size for me 35-38mm.

So rough spec is 

• Wrist size 18-18.5cm therefore 35-38mm dial face, 40mm absolute max.
  • Automatic/self wind, no batteries
  • Waterproof for swimming only (10m+)
  • Preferably a Chronometer / COSC
  • Only need a 3 handed, date would be nice, everything else is a bonus
  • Like the clean everyday “tool” look but some sports are ok but not with the outer dive style dial
  • Bracelet, would prefer steel but ok with others
  • Oh, and budget, fairly healthy at £5k but obviously if there are bargains out there happy to hear about them, buying New or ex-display not second hand
  • UK based
  • As my previous watch lasted 30 years then this is my expectation for this new one, worn everyday 24hrs per day which is why the budget

So I hand it over to the forum to provide suggestions/comments/personal preferences that I can use to get a shortlist together for a trying on session in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. 

Bit of a thread resurrection here, hope that is ok. 

Anyway, now the shops are starting to open and I now have funds available the search starts in earnest. Not really looked for a while so there may be new models available that I have not seen before.

I have been wearing a very cheap watch to get me by and so this has given me an idea of size limitations for my scrawny little wrist. The Omega Polaris was a dainty 32mm case which I was obviously used to for 30+ years, the cheap as chips watch is 40mm which is the absolute max I can go to, but probably somewhere in between is the most likely size for me 35-38mm.

So rough spec is 

• Correction - Wrist size 17.5cm therefore 35-38mm dial face, 40mm absolute max. 
  • Automatic/self wind, no batteries
  • Waterproof for swimming only (10m+)
  • Preferably a Chronometer / COSC
  • Only need a 3 handed, date would be nice, everything else is a bonus
  • Like the clean everyday “tool” look but some sports are ok but not with the outer dive style dial
  • Bracelet, would prefer steel but ok with others
  • Oh, and budget, fairly healthy at £5k but obviously if there are bargains out there happy to hear about them, buying New or ex-display not second hand
  • UK based
  • As my previous watch lasted 30 years then this is my expectation for this new one, worn everyday 24hrs per day which is why the budget

So I hand it over to the forum to provide suggestions/comments/personal preferences that I can use to get a shortlist together for a trying on session in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for the suggestions. 

An all day everyday sports watch, that could also dress up or dress down.

https://amjwatches.co.uk/grand-seiko-automatic-3-day-sbgr251g.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609Red4kMExK5ebSUsFWrgWkLI5kT-qur5Yllx_Q8sTZR0nSYBp8ojpgBhoCWYkQAvD_BwE

primary_image.png

But then I tend to be a bit plain.

Possibly a better size but still hitting criteria 

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/tudor-heritage-black-bay-36-stainless-steel-bracelet.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609ReWlMBoTgUOTwp7lveHGvHso5gMpklMkg2GgTfUApPpqBO3_CguyoJhoCr_wQAvD_BwE

2-094-02-0040_M79500-0007_hero.jpg

Again, showing my plain, boring, accountant tendencies. 

And ensuring I've hit steady silver, boring black and not missed blasé blue, my favourite of the three suggestions I'm offering would be....

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Breitling-Chronomat-36mm-Ladies-Watch-A10380101C1A1/p/17531900/?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla___prch__online___stco_____prid__17531900,utm_medium:cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwnPOEBhA0EiwA609ReZw0cQxDZRzRqqMhgcdCA1elqVzp8WEmAgDZQlwQ0oXwtv4HUwwIEhoCDLkQAvD_BwE

17531900_1_640.jpg

Others will offer far more exciting ideas, but for a 20-30 year watch to do any occasion every day, I'd be a steady Eddie.

Then again starting from scratch with a £5k budget, I'd be buying 3 watches to allow me a little different flavour between a day in the office, a long walk in the country and an evening out with the wonderful Mrs B (if we ever find a babysitter happy to take on 8 kids for the night!)

Happy hunting fella (ps. There are two small watches, a 35mm and a tiny 32mm in my charity raffle :thumbsup:)

• Like 1

@Bricey thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I think I am of a similar view, boring and functional, even the Breitling is bordering on bling in my eyes. 

The Grand Seiko looks interesting, firstly is there any snobbishness with it not being Swiss made and is it worth paying a bit extra for the Hi Beat movement.

https://amjwatches.co.uk/grand-seiko-hi-beat-sbgh201g.html

Any thoughts on the Bremont MB111 10th anniversary edition, just on the off chance it’s 43mm case looks OK on?

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Bremont-10th-Anniversary-Limited-Edition-40mm-Mens-Watch-MBIII+WH+LE/p/17190178?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla_with_promotion___prch__online___stco_____prid__17190178,utm_medium:cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIic7qr-TH8AIVwgh7Ch2IsgbmEAQYBCABEgJZbfD_BwE

On 26/11/2020 at 20:05, Ugg10 said:

I have owned an Omega Seamaster Polaris (the bi-coloured one with digital/analogue movement) for over 30 years (bought 1990) which has rarely been off my wrist. It is a bit of a triggers broom having has a new back, replacement movement and strap repairs but when I sent it in for a new battery recently I have been informed it needs a full overhaul and is now beyond economical repair.

Sorry I missed this thread first time around. I can empathise with your situation, having also had a Polaris for many years. I wore that thing day in, day out and absolutely loved it; but, as with your good self, it became uneconomical in the end and quotes for repairs were more then I gave for the watch (new) in the first place! I can’t really add much to the recommendations already given, but I will wish you luck with your quest.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments so far, please keep them coming. Been doing a bit of research today.

Not sure about the Tudor, oddly to me it reminds me of a Dr Who Cyberman???

p084h7vx.jpg

The Grand Seiko is intriguing, looking into their movements (stock, hi beat and Spring Drive) the Snowflake model seems to keep popping up as a “must see/have”. Any thought on this, similar price to the AT and Perpetual but has the renown GS polished finish and Spring Drive movement? Big assumption is it is OK on the wrist being 40mm. 

So current running favourites based on looks/movement are the Omega AT in steel/orange and the GS Snowflake. If I need a smaller watch the 38mm AT in Steel/white would be my first choice. Thoughts? 

I also like the Bremont MBIII 10th anniversary but I think it will be too big, and based on comments the quality will not be up to the Omega/Rolex/GS. Need to get that appointment booked up to see some in the flesh. 

The Omega is best option there. Not as pretentious as the Rolex or Hublot, with more brand recognition than the IWC or Bremont and equal to superior quality to them all/each. Plus damn decent resale value. So yeah, pretty much Omega at all times over all other things. That's my motto.

Tudor is great, if you're getting in-house movements. Otherwise you're getting basically a Tag, which is an extremely overpriced Hamilton with better finishing and less diversity. Resale not a positive here, but not bad.

Grand Seiko will never get much love from me, because all Seiko watches are always disappointing, and I've spent $4500 on a Seiko before so I'm not just talking out of my a$$ here. Seiko is the least impressive brand in the watch world.  In all honesty, I really hate Seiko actually. The only thing I like Seiko isn't really Seiko at all, it's the popularity of their cheap junk and the availability of aftermarket parts to make it into something actually worth owning, unlike what it started at... A worthless Seiko!

• Like 1

To offer a counter point of view, Grand Seiko movements, dials & cases are some of the most impressive offerings in their price bracket making the overall package better than anything the Swiss put out.

Their only downside tend to be the rather large / thick cases.

Edited by Kamakazie!
  • Like 1