• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Anyone know anything about Arcadian watch?

14 hours ago, bjohnson said:

I have an Arcadia.  I wonder if Arcadian is different

"Arcadia" is a well-documented brand owned by Fleurier and also Gruen. Mikrolisk lists "Arcadian" as found on a pocket watch, possibly Fleurier, but maker unknown, and Pritchard doesn't have it at all. I've also found a pocket watch described as "Arcadian", but which actually has "Acadian" on the dial and movement, which Mikrolisk attributes to Rodania and also Louis Brandt. Without more information about the watch, preferably with pictures, it's hard to say.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, chris ogilvie-taylor said:

You can embed the link by right clicking on the picture in Imgur, selecting View Image and then copying and pasting the URL. Like this ...

UAJJw87.jpeg

I'm afraid I don't know what to make of that. It looks like a converted pocket watch, often called a "marriage watch". If the diameter is 46mm or more it would support that theory. If you can open the back and take a photo of the movement that might provide more clues.

• Like 1

Hi, that's an idea but I don't think so. The pic makes it look much larger than it really is. Right now it's in the watch maker shop for a service. I'll take a pic of the movement when I get it back in a couple of weeks. Watch maker says the movement is marked Swiss made. But Arcadian as a watch brand doesn't come up anywhere on the internet. Mystery!

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, chris ogilvie-taylor said:

Watch repairer says there's a  broken part and the watch is too old to obtain it. So I was thinking to ask him if he could swop out the mechanical movement with a quartz movement. I know it would zero the watch's value but I don't care as it's minimum anyway. Anyone ever done this?

It would be interesting to see/find out what the movement is. I would try to get the part required. Once the movement can be identified it may be possible to get a donor movement.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chris ogilvie-taylor said:

Watch repairer says there's a  broken part and the watch is too old to obtain it. So I was thinking to ask him if he could swop out the mechanical movement with a quartz movement. I know it would zero the watch's value but I don't care as it's minimum anyway. Anyone ever done this?

It's sometimes possible, but you have to find something that will fit the case and can take those hands, so not easy. I agree with Wrench, show us the movement and let's find out what this thing is.

My feeling, on seeing the picture of that Arcadian watch on the wrist, is that the watch is not a converted pocket watch. I believe that it started out life as a wristwatch and what a nice wristwatch it is too. I love that square inner dial and the crown is rather nice. I also agree with @WRENCH and @spinynorman that it would be nice to have a look at the movement to see if we can glean any further information on the piece.:)

Here is another wristwatch, branded Arcadia (without the final 'n' of Arcadian) with similar strap attachments and crown to your Arcadian watch. 

tumblr_p4v9aw4gqm1tin58jo1_1280.jpg

(Pic from 64.media.tumblr.com)