• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

In the Black: The New Sekonda 1846 Rubber Strap Diving Watch

Always"watching"

Sekonda have recently launched a new diving watch, model 1846, which follows on from model 1845. The two models are clearly related to one another, with both watches having a stated water resistance of 200 metres, but there are notable aesthetic differences and the new 1846 comes with a black rubber strap instead of the stainless steel bracelet that adorns the more expensive (by £10) 1845. The most obvious aesthetic difference, at least until, if and when, Sekonda introduces different/new dial colours to these two models, is that the 1845 comes with a blue dial and bezel while the 1845 has a black dial and bezel. All the main markers on the 1845 are rectangular batons while the 1846 includes circular as well as rectangular main markers, with a triangular marker at 12 o’clock. Note that the markers on the bezel in both models are champagne coloured.

1846_straight_2984X4472PX_4472x4472.jpg?

(Pic from sekonda.co.uk at cdn.shopfy.com)

The Sekonda 1846 specifications are very similar to those of the 1845, and are as follows: Stainless steel 43.5 mm X 12.42 mm case with screw-down caseback and mineral glass crystal; rotating bezel, Japanese quartz movement with date feature at the 6 o’clock position and black rubber strap. The RRP/price from Sekonda (and current price at Watch Shop) is £59.99 and the watch comes with a two-year guarantee. Sekonda themselves do not provide size data for the 1845 and 1846 watches and other sellers' sites vary in their stated case sizes - I have quoted the watch size from Amazon UK. There is also no mention of lume by Sekonda but from other online sites, it does appear that the watch is lumed, but to what extent I am not sure.

1846_BACK_f6ba8bf4-b86b-42d6-a9c5-ecf726

1846_back_4472x4472.jpg?v=1605531193

(Pics from sekonda.co.uk at cdn.shopify.com)

The model 1846 Rubber Strap Diving Watch is a smart-looking quartz dive watch in the classic or traditional mould of diving watches. For the price, it ticks many boxes, although the Sekonda name and its position as a budget brand may not be satisfy some watch buyers looking for a more upmarket or mechanical watch of this form and type. As someone who collects Sekonda 200 metre WR watches, I am tempted, but because I have already had my Christmas present from Kristina, I will wait until the discounters have started to wreak their havoc with the RRP. I personally prefer the aesthetics of the markers on the 1846 to those on the 1845, and for me, the black dial/black bezel combination of the 1846 just pips its sibling at the post on the colour front as well, although the blue model is still an attractive proposition - I hope I don't eventually feel the need to have both watches...:biggrin:

The blue Sekonda 1845 Diving Watch (pic from sekonda.co.uk at cdn.shopify.com):

1845_STRAIGHT_4472x4472.jpg?v=1606389540

s-l1600.jpg

Above: Angled view of the Sekonda 1846 Diving Watch (pic from i.ebayimg.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My aversion to contrasting date windows is well documented. But at least on the 45 the orange framing of the calender orifice ties in with the dubious orange hands.

I too prefer the dial of the 46 , under lume only conditions it might be easier to orient the dial. Personally though I prefer the bezel on the 45 as it is less cluttered. Shame there is no lumed bezel pip but that would be a reach at this price point I suspect.

Blue and on a bracelet methinks best ! 

Edited by Rotundus
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...