• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New watch day! Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue

antjrice

OK...this really is the last one in until at least next Spring, but I had an opportunity to obtain this 3 week old, officially pre-owned but unworn, still stickered example that I really couldn't turn down. Also, I need to spend the next few months on the outgoing pieces that this new purchase demands so no more incoming for me in the near term. 

That being said, very happy with this new addition. Dive watches are my passion (i might even try diving one day) and they dominate my collection so a quality well sized diver is always going to draw me in:

2020-12-09_01-36-46

The 39mm case sits very well and feels slim on my 6 1/2in wrist. The blue is very rich and as with most watches, more vibrant in the metal than pictures.

The dial has more of a classic feel in my opinion that is more apparent than the greater dial space available on the standard Black Bay.

Bracelet and clasp is top notch. Really like the fold over shield effect and the Tudor clash lock in (plasticy roller balls) is very good and satisfing. I wonder how these will hold up in the long term but i'm sure Tudor's servincing function have a plan for that.

IMG_20201209_103123

Whats strikes me most is that the standard size Black Bay (albeit GMT) has a significantly bigger feel in comparision beside the few stated millimeters difference. The picture does some justice to the size difference between them.

IMG_20201209_103549

A know rounding in terms of case sizing makes all the difference by the 58 feels right on for a 39mm and the GMT, very big for a 41mm. It was so clunky that I had to take it off the bracelet in order to get it to work for me.

Box and papers the usually minimum viable product from Tudor:

IMG_20201209_103059

In summary, a very well put together addition to the top end of my collection which i'll be able to dress up and down with a bit more versitility than my nato strapped, bolder BB GMT :thumbs_up:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

I like the BB 58, especially the black dial on the Tudor NATO.

BS-Tudor-Black-Bay-58-review-31.jpg

In general I don't like NATO straps, but in this instance the combination works for me.

18 minutes ago, antjrice said:

the 58 feels right on for a 39mm and the GMT, very big for a 41mm.

Exactly what I think. I've got a BB steel, and I'd swap it for a 58 in a flash.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Even though it's one of the most hyped watches of recent times .... it does live up to the hype. Stunning watch and very nice overall proportions.... Bravo Sir ...  

Thanks indeed. 

I take the hype aspect with a pinch of salt in that it all seems to come from you tubers and websites whipping each other up then in the next video, whinging about the same hype so they can double down on their content. 

As for Tudor, they've made a great watch and have left it at that so good luck to them. 

43 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Exactly what I think. I've got a BB steel, and I'd swap it for a 58 in a flash.

I did think about a switcheroo for the GMT but after getting that on a nato, they are different enough to sit together in my watch box. 

If a 58 version of the GMT ever comes out, I'd have a real dilemma! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, antjrice said:

OK...this really is the last one in until at least next Spring, but I had an opportunity to obtain this 3 week old, officially pre-owned but unworn, still stickered example that I really couldn't turn down. Also, I need to spend the next few months on the outgoing pieces that this new purchase demands so no more incoming for me in the near term. 

That being said, very happy with this new addition. Dive watches are my passion (i might even try diving one day) and they dominate my collection so a quality well sized diver is always going to draw me in:

2020-12-09_01-36-46

The 39mm case sits very well and feels slim on my 6 1/2in wrist. The blue is very rich and as with most watches, more vibrant in the metal than pictures.

The dial has more of a classic feel in my opinion that is more apparent than the greater dial space available on the standard Black Bay.

Bracelet and clasp is top notch. Really like the fold over shield effect and the Tudor clash lock in (plasticy roller balls) is very good and satisfing. I wonder how these will hold up in the long term but i'm sure Tudor's servincing function have a plan for that.

IMG_20201209_103123

Whats strikes me most is that the standard size Black Bay (albeit GMT) has a significantly bigger feel in comparision beside the few stated millimeters difference. The picture does some justice to the size difference between them.

IMG_20201209_103549

A know rounding in terms of case sizing makes all the difference by the 58 feels right on for a 39mm and the GMT, very big for a 41mm. It was so clunky that I had to take it off the bracelet in order to get it to work for me.

Box and papers the usually minimum viable product from Tudor:

IMG_20201209_103059

In summary, a very well put together addition to the top end of my collection which i'll be able to dress up and down with a bit more versitility than my nato strapped, bolder BB GMT :thumbs_up:

Welcome to the club!

• Like 1

Nice addition, and as you say it a better size for us guys with smaller wrists, like that shade of blue for the dial too. :thumbsup::)

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I like the BB 58, especially the black dial on the Tudor NATO.

BS-Tudor-Black-Bay-58-review-31.jpg

In general I don't like NATO straps, but in this instance the combination works for me.

I'm ok with Nato straps, but often it's hard to get a good colour match especially if the strap has more than one colour, but that combo is just perfect.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Graham60 said:

but that combo is just perfect.

Exactly what I thought once it was on my wrist, and the quality and feel of the strap is apparent as well, although I can't remember if it is one piece slip through or the pins go through it fixed like on the larger Black Bay NATO.

Tudor-Heritage-Black-Bay-Steel-79730-Rev

anyone know ?

7 hours ago, antjrice said:

Tudor clash lock in (plasticy roller balls)

The plastic roller balls are ceramic & should last the life of the watch.  

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I've got a BB steel, and I'd swap it for a 58 in a flash.

I have the 58 original  & a black bay steel. I actually use the  steel as a daily although not at work, finding the 58 far better for more dressy affairs. 

Was offered the 58 Blue at an AD recently but decided against it. Lovely watch but maybe too much of a good thing.