• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

£2500ish on a white faced "sporty" auto chronometer - Ideas ?

I have a buddy who is a one watch dude and his "one watch" has just bitten the dust after a couple of decades ( A beautiful Speedmaster day-date in silver/white dial )  and he asked me if I could recommend a replacement .... he just said he wants a white faced, "sporty" auto chronometer and he has around two and a half grand to spend on one ... doesn't mind if its no date , date or chronograph. 

I thought of the Breitling Superocean 42 ,,,, and a few German models at around £1500 but not much else is springing to mind !?

Any ideas , he really is not that fussy , his "thing" is Sailing and his money pit motor cruiser , but he "appreciates" wearing his nice watch etc etc ..... but he is not a "watch guy" so he says....

2 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Breitling chronomat colt fits the budget but surely his speedy can be repaired?

No its well and truly knackered , uneconomic to repair , he is selling it to a watch repairer who said it will used as a donor watch .. Chronomat is a good shout .. I thought they were more silvery but will send him the link... thx

17 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

No its well and truly knackered , uneconomic to repair , he is selling it to a watch repairer who said it will used as a donor watch .. Chronomat is a good shout .. I thought they were more silvery but will send him the link... thx

Unless it's been run over by a car I suggest that he's using the wrong 'watch repairer'...........Get him to contact Rich Askham (The Watch Spot) who does miracles at a very reasonable price....., my 1960's Jaquet Droz Chronograph that needed restoring.... If you look through his blog you will see quite a few watches , in a much worse inital condition than mine, that he has bought back to life for the owners, as an 'economical repair'...

2 hours ago, John_D said:

Unless it's been run over by a car I suggest that he's using the wrong 'watch repairer'...........Get him to contact Rich Askham (The Watch Spot) who does miracles at a very reasonable price....., my 1960's Jaquet Droz Chronograph that needed restoring.... If you look through his blog you will see quite a few watches , in a much worse inital condition than mine, that he has bought back to life for the owners, as an 'economical repair'...

It was run over by a car. [ I am not joking ].

On 10/12/2020 at 17:23, JonnyOldBoy said:

I took a knackered old Speedmaster Automatic (Mk 4.5) to STS cost me £1100 but it came back looking great, I find it hard to believe his day-date Speedy can't be sorted - looks like the watchmaker has a good deal to me!

28 minutes ago, JoT said:

I took a knackered old Speedmaster Automatic (Mk 4.5) to STS cost me £1100 but it came back looking great, I find it hard to believe his day-date Speedy can't be sorted - looks like the watchmaker has a good deal to me!

Case is cracked and movement mashed, the watch guy was up front with him and showed him the watch he could salvage with it. He left it in a waterproof sailing deck bag along with a magnetic wrench set and a storage shunt run over it. The repair cost was more than a replacement like-for-like approx on age .... it was well and truly wrecked. 

• Confused 1
32 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Is this any good for your friend?  I just bought it today.  c2002 Breitling Crosswind Special.  All B'lings of this period were chronometer rated, but I don't have the papers (but I do have the box)

20201212_151953

Only mentioned it because it fills the brief.

Thanks for the suggestion ... He is after new or pre-owned nearly mint ... but that is a beautiful watch !!

• Thanks 1
Is this any good for your friend?  I just bought it today.  c2002 Breitling Crosswind Special.  All B'lings of this period were chronometer rated, but I don't have the papers (but I do have the box)
50709517018_f69a5e3a71_b.jpg Only mentioned it because it fills the brief.

That is nice..........no.....more.....watches.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2
16 minutes ago, Badman67 said:

Pre-owned Bremont?

Yep you just nailed it ... He is getting a Martin Baker , new , at discount. Spooky , i just got the text.... his brother in law has one and I did  send him the links this morning ... can't remember the side colour he is getting , but its the white dial .... thanks everyone for this thread input .... much appreciated. I know @Caller has always sung the praises of the MB model and I must admit the newer variants are pretty decent .... when the world gets back to normal I will get out and about more to ADs to try a few watches on ..... I still have a few squids in the kitty but powder has been dry since the summer .....:thumbsup: