• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

It's Friday! 18.12.20

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning Meccaniche Veneziane 'Nereide GMT' Topazio Crema {Cal: MV297 (Sellita SW330-1)}  

Seiko SKX007 for me to begin the holidays!

It's taken me almost a decade to find one of these, but my patience final paid off and today the postman brought me an early Christmas present. Once I have the time I'll do a more in-depth thread

Posted Images

Morning,

This 1960s Hudson auto today, probably by Itraco Watch Co and running on a 21j EB 8127, my main reason for buying the thing.

At 12.3mm, its claim to be “Ultra-Thin” is more downright fib than anything approaching reality, a common enough trait with similarly cheap watches of the time.

Regards.

Hudson Auto 2020 4 v.3.jpg

Hudson auto EB 8127 2019 4 v.3.jpg

• Like 4

Still the KS, service was one of those good old fashioned written on the back of a fag packet jobs so you know a proper old watch maker in a little shops done it a bloke with his heart in the right place who wont diddle you, and has had years of experience. An old school in a shirt tie and smock. As a result over a week this is keeping time with my Seiko Twin. Hope my Polaris comes back from Omega as good after its crown and stem came out....

1608287966221-1400938693.jpg

1608287994834-1145268812.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sticking with the Omega 162.

Omega 162

I know not everyone likes engraved presentation watches, but the association with the thoroughly eccentric Hesketh participation in motorsport was one I couldn't resist. 

Omega 162

Though the guarantee card is made out to "Hesketh Racing", I suspect the recipient worked on the estate.

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In support of can a quartz be a classic?

Ive changed to this 1980 SeikoTwin Quartz 9642 5000 9 jewel HAQ. Seiko specs were +/- 20 secs a year 40 years ago. On the time graph the rate of this one is +11 seconds a year. Pretty sharp. 

1608302637469-1400938693.jpg

1608302661713-1145268812.jpg

1 hour ago, martinzx said:

This 'Classic 'Omega Mariner mk1, Cal 1310, circa 1976 :biggrin:
Indoor photo taken just now...

Edit1.jpg

And a song from the same year :laugh:

1976 was a great year for Omega, it seems that Jimmy Saville wasnt the most dangerous thing on Top of the Pops afterall :laugh:

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Sticking with the Omega 162.

Omega 162

I know not everyone likes engraved presentation watches, but the association with the thoroughly eccentric Hesketh participation in motorsport was one I couldn't resist. 

Omega 162

Though the guarantee card is made out to "Hesketh Racing", I suspect the recipient worked on the estate.

Hesketh Racing that rings a bell. Im not sure why though. Its a lovely Omega very understated especially for late 70s. I like engraved backs only had 2. One was a seiko and it said to Alan love from Donna. Im guessing the relationship didnt last. Maybe he expected a Rolex 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's taken me almost a decade to find one of these, but my patience final paid off and today the postman brought me an early Christmas present.

Once I have the time I'll do a more in-depth thread, but if you want to know more about it in the meantime, I'd recommend reading David Boettchers excellently researched article on these almost forgotten watches. https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php#Submarine

Z0vTdTf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
1 minute ago, animalone said:

It's taken me almost a decade to find one of these, but my patience final paid off and today the postman brought me an early Christmas present.

Once I have the time I'll do a more in-depth thread, but if you want to know more about it in the meantime, I'd recommend reading David Boettchers excellently researched article on these almost forgotten watches. https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php#Submarine

Z0vTdTf.jpg

Well done Sir. :notworthy:

My own hunt still continues. :(

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, animalone said:

Thank you,

I've had a quick peak in the back to make sure it's all ok. But when I have the time in the new year I plan on doing a thread with many more pictures

Cant wait, many congratulations, I must admit I never even heard of the watch before you posted. But I love it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, martinzx said:

Cant wait, many congratulations, I must admit I never even heard of the watch before you posted. But I love it!!

It's a shame that such an advanced watch for it's time has almost been forgotten.

I hope to take many close up pictures showing some of the features that made it interesting. Once I've figured out how to safely work around the radioactive dust.

• Thanks 2
59 minutes ago, animalone said:

Z0vTdTf.jpg

Interesting read, looks in remarkable condition for age, crown looks to have hardly any wear at all in the machining! Good luck with it. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, animalone said:

It's a shame that such an advanced watch for it's time has almost been forgotten.

Not by ‘old tat’ (vintage) devotees like me. :biggrin:

Another invention that was a decade before being taken up by Rolex (Oyster).  Even Omega (Marine) were attributed with the first ‘true’ dive watch.

Like Martin, look forward to the write up.

Again, fine acquisition!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Interesting read, looks in remarkable condition for age, crown looks to have hardly any wear at all in the machining! Good luck with it. 

I think I've gotten very lucky with this one, I've lost bids on a couple before that were in much worse condition. The inside of the case back has more than half a dozen sets of watchmakers marks, showing that it was well looked after over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, animalone said:

I think I've gotten very lucky with this one, I've lost bids on a couple before that were in much worse condition. 

It certainly would appear that your wait has been fruitful. :thumbsup:

Condition is key when venturing into the vintage market, you really need to be patient when seeking a particular timepiece of interest.

Complete & original condition is essential IMO, particularly if (any) restoration works are needed.

I too have learnt to wait, many years in some instances, till the right/best one presents itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2