• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Breitling colt automatic.

Hi everyone,

I'm after a little advice, it's coming up to the 3 year mark of owning my colt automatic and I've encountered a problem. I've had it off my wrist for a few days as part of my usual rotation of watches and this time round when I came to wind it up it doesn't feel right. When I turn the crown it feels like the rotor is spinning inside and it becomes difficult to fully wind the crown back in. It's currently on my wrist now and appears to be keeping time just fine but slightly concerned.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Also if I should get it looked at does anyone know of a reputable watch guy to take a look at it? I'm hesitant to send it off to breitling given I've only had it just shy of 3 years. The last thing I want is a huge service bill.

Thanks in advance and merry christmas!

Also just for info I reside in Lincolnshire UK if that's any use regarding recommendations on servicing.

39 minutes ago, Jason89 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm after a little advice, it's coming up to the 3 year mark of owning my colt automatic and I've encountered a problem. I've had it off my wrist for a few days as part of my usual rotation of watches and this time round when I came to wind it up it doesn't feel right. When I turn the crown it feels like the rotor is spinning inside and it becomes difficult to fully wind the crown back in. It's currently on my wrist now and appears to be keeping time just fine but slightly concerned.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Also if I should get it looked at does anyone know of a reputable watch guy to take a look at it? I'm hesitant to send it off to breitling given I've only had it just shy of 3 years. The last thing I want is a huge service bill.

Thanks in advance and merry christmas!

Also just for info I reside in Lincolnshire UK if that's any use regarding recommendations on servicing.

It sounds like your watch is due for a service, the good news is what you describe is nothing to worry about and is an easy fix, it is normally a jammed reversing wheel which usually happens when the lubrication isn't good i.e. service time!

You can save a bit by sending the watch to an independent repairer there's some listed in our repairs section

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Is the watch keeping time to spec ?

Yeh it appears to be keeping time well, I've only had it on my wrist for a few hours but nothing noticeably wrong as of yet.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I suspected it might be in need of a servicing. Slightly disappointed in all honesty, I was hoping I would be able to go longer than 3 years before requiring one, especially given the price point of the watch.

Oh well guess my hopes were too high

1 hour ago, Jason89 said:

Yeh it appears to be keeping time well, I've only had it on my wrist for a few hours but nothing noticeably wrong as of yet.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I suspected it might be in need of a servicing. Slightly disappointed in all honesty, I was hoping I would be able to go longer than 3 years before requiring one, especially given the price point of the watch.

Oh well guess my hopes were too high

I would not say that needs servicing. Breitling Colts always tell you when they are in need of a service , they start to lose time , a lot of it. If its keeping time, it does not need a service in my experience. It may just need wearing more often ..... again ..... in my experience ... 

1 hour ago, artistmike said:

I was under the impression that mechanical Breitlings were under a five year warranty?

I think the new ones are but I bought mine at the end of December 2017 when they were still doing a 2 year warranty, unless they've extended it for those holding 2 years

I think the new ones are but I bought mine at the end of December 2017 when they were still doing a 2 year warranty, unless they've extended it for those holding 2 years

I'd be tempted to get in touch with their sevice department and just talk to them first, they may well either do it under warranty or at least give you some consideration towards the cost of a service given it's age.

It's a decent company so they will usually help if they can and it's a nice watch so you want to guarantee it's future serviceability too...

• Like 1

Breilting Colts do tend to have a fairly stiff winding and crown screw operation compared to other models in their range(s) but reading again the comments above and thinking again about the rotor issue, then I agree a call into a Breilting AD would be the first logical step here. I was thinking if keeping time then it was not due its general service but its never easy to tell how watches have been stored prior to original sale and subsequently etc etc and some watches do suffer prematurely from mechanical issues.

3 hours ago, Jason89 said:

In case you haven't got them, these are the Breitling Service Centre contact details

01892 553 620
customer.service.uk@breitling.com

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, I've had the watch on now for almost 24 hours solid and it's kept time perfectly. I have tried winding it a couple of times today and there seems to be no problem now . . . . strange

Is it possible that it just became a little stiff from having not be worn for a week or so and sat still in a watch box? I will certainly keep a close eye on it and still seriously consider getting it looked at in the new year.

6 minutes ago, Jason89 said:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, I've had the watch on now for almost 24 hours solid and it's kept time perfectly. I have tried winding it a couple of times today and there seems to be no problem now . . . . strange

Is it possible that it just became a little stiff from having not be worn for a week or so and sat still in a watch box? I will certainly keep a close eye on it and still seriously consider getting it looked at in the new year.

I have a 2017 Breitling Colt and I wear it every day every other week ,,, recently the winding has been a bit stiffer and the crown screw is fairly tight too.  It was like this last winter. Its weirds that Colts can do this , my other one did as well .... fingers crossed your is just like mine ..... :thumbsup:

DSCF4841.thumb.JPG.3d06016acb861cc4e7b5b2de7ae81667.JPG

Hi everyone,

As alluded to in the post above mine, maybe...,,just maybe  temperature changes may have a bearing, then again maybe not.

• Like 1