• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hedge Layers Measure Chain

A friend called into the nursery just before Christmas.He was laying a hedge for someone close by.His family have done this for generations.He was trained by his father and uncles.I sometimes visited when they were carrying out a job,though must confess that i was more interested in warming myself by the bonfire they lit to burn trimmings as they went than the actual work.

The measurement the old guys used for payment was the Chain.I remembered that his father kept their Chain measure in the boot of his car.To my surprise my friend still has it!.Brian still charges by The Chain though paces the 22 yards these days as modern customers are not so fussy as old farmers.

Some other oldy fogey measures were on the back of my school jotter.Rod,Pole or Perch  instance.Does any one else remember these measuring names?.

14 minutes ago, champ said:

Does any one else remember these measuring names?.

Certainly do. I used a land measuring chain (Gunter's Chain) up until the late 1980's

0ed20cd58affdca03f842539996f718b.jpg

22 yards/66 feet/100 links, and heavy if you had to carry it. I reckon we had to use it as a stubborn act of awkwardness as a measuring wheel was easier, and we used that as well as the chain anyway for our own records. Don't the Horsey brigade still measure in "hands",  "furlongs" and "Guinea's" as well ? Livestock are still auctioned in Guineas.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Certainly do. I used a land measuring chain (Gunter's Chain) up until the late 1980's

0ed20cd58affdca03f842539996f718b.jpg

22 yards/66 feet/100 links, and heavy if you had to carry it. I reckon we had to use it as a stubborn act of awkwardness as a measuring wheel was easier, and we used that as well as the chain anyway for our own records. Don't the Horsey brigade still measure in "hands",  "furlongs" and "Guinea's" as well ? Livestock are still auctioned in Guineas.

Wow!.Well done WRENCH.There it is the real Chain.

Yes ,on the back of the red Silvine exercise books..

22 yds in a chain ,10 chains in a furlong ,8 furlongs in a mile. Or 1760 yds.

then their was the liquid measurements ,gills.pints ,quarts ,gallons .pins ,tuns barrels 

rumour has it after Jan 1 Boris will reintroduce them all,    ..... back to the future :russian_roulette:

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

then their was the liquid measurements ,gills.pints ,quarts ,gallons .pins ,tuns barrels 

Yeah I remember those Silvine jotters.. Decimalisation was my Achilles heel, I spent my primary school education in Imperial, then they introduced me to Decimal in secondary school, as a result I struggle with both, even now!

• Haha 2
50 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

rumour has it after Jan 1 Boris will reintroduce them all,    ..... back to the future :russian_roulette:

We still have MPH signs.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Pete wilding said:

Wow brings back lovely memories , wouldn’ it be nice to go back to imperial.......youngsters would have a real problem

:yes:Plenty of them have enough problems with metric, even though its all based on 10's & 100's, I last used a 'chain' as a task for my HNC in Building Studies, back in the early 2000's (which was stupid as for years prior to that all construction was/is measured in mm or metres for larger jobs!)

17 hours ago, Foxdog said:

:yes:Plenty of them have enough problems with metric, even though its all based on 10's & 100's, I last used a 'chain' as a task for my HNC in Building Studies, back in the early 2000's (which was stupid as for years prior to that all construction was/is measured in mm or metres for larger jobs!)

I am reading a book about the weights and measures of England, their evolution is fascinating especially the role grains of barley played in both length and weight. It is also very interesting how they wrestled with establishing standards.

The chain of 22 yards (66 feet) is the same length as 4 rods (or gyrds in Saxon) which was the traditional width of a 1 acre field work unit (40 rods by 4 rods) in Saxon times. The acres breadth of 4 rods was also used as a measure on Saxon of town walls where it was specified 16 men were required to defend 4 gyrds (4 rods / 1 chain) of wall. 

It was Edmund Gunter, an English mathematician and clergyman who introduced the surveyor's chain in 1620 

Never thought a book on weights and measures would be so interesting :laugh:

15491983303.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1