• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Wednesday Watch Parade 30/12 WRUW?

Jet Jetski

1 hour ago, Graham60 said:

Morning :)

Just back from last shopping trip of the year to ASDA, nice frosty morning for a walk.

Certina 'DS Action Day-Date' {Cal: Powermatic 80.621 (Base ETA 2824-2)}

Certina 'DS Action Day-Date' {Cal Powermatic 80.621 (Base ETA 2824-2)}

Certina are a brand I have looked at again and again, often because of the DS system and some have an 80 hr power reserve, and I was an ace away from buying a COSC Certina auto in TKMaxx believe it or not - I was waiting for the red sticker (I talk to the sales assistants who let me know when a discounting round is due), but when it got reduced it was hardly anything.  I mean it was a bargain, but I felt affronted, since they knocked £100 off the chrono (non COSC) version, so I sulked instead ha ha ha.

But that is a fantastic model, and 200m WR?  Closest I have seen to a 'go anywhere, do anything' watch !

Here's another pic of the Sturmanskie 3133 looking a more true blue - noticed it looked a bit greyish up top, took this under a higher temp bulb.

IMG_20201230_084037026(1).thumb.jpg.68bb3982807e5afa770953377f77574e.jpg

That's better.

J

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Morning,

Today it'll be this 1960s Avia-matic in a steel case and driven by a 25j AS 1674 which features an off-centre oscillating weight.

I believe that the Avia brand is now owned by Fossil but today’s example is from their independent days when the name, which can trace its Swiss roots back to the 19th century, was known for decent quality. Their somewhat fractured history is outlined in this excellent Honour’s Topic here: https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/95411-avia-forgotten-but-not-gone/

Regards.

Avia Avia-matic 2018 v.3.jpg

Avia Avia-matic AS 1674 2018 v.3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

hi all, built this yesterday,case is 40mm,dial i liked so bought it and trimmed it down to fit the case.movement is a miyota 8215,the hands i relumed with superluminova C3 which works far better than C1. sometimes when i build a watch i dont like it as much as i think i would.not so with this one ,it all works well for me,i can tell the time at a glance,it has a touch of bling which i like because i am an old tart. the lume is good all night.job done.:)..060U7hr.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Balaton1109 said:

Morning,

Today it'll be this 1960s Avia-matic in a steel case and driven by a 25j AS 1674 which features an off-centre oscillating weight.

I believe that the Avia brand is now owned by Fossil but today’s example is from their independent days when the name, which can trace its Swiss roots back to the 19th century, was known for decent quality. Their somewhat fractured history is outlined in this excellent Honour’s Topic here: https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/95411-avia-forgotten-but-not-gone/

Regards.

Avia Avia-matic 2018 v.3.jpg

Avia Avia-matic AS 1674 2018 v.3.jpg

Before the arrival of quartz watches and the tendency then to have several watches, or to dispose of watches, pretty sure my dad's watch was an Avia, and, as you say, decent quality.  But the only hand-winder that survived his personal quartz crisis was a Longines dress watch.  

3 minutes ago, greasemonk said:

hi all, built this yesterday,case is 40mm,dial i liked so bought it and trimmed it down to fit the case.movement is a miyota 8215,the hands i relumed with superluminova C3 which works far better than C1. sometimes when i build a watch i dont like it as much as i think i would.not so with this one ,it all works well for me,i can tell the time at a glance,it has a touch of bling which i like because i am an old tart. the lume is good all night.job done.:)..060U7hr.jpg

that's brilliant - I am trimming down a dial at the moment, I had read that I would need to take 0.1mm off the diameter, but alas that was a decimal point error, and half a mil has to come off all round, which doesn't sound much, but it  takes a lot of patience, and I am afraid I have already had my 'oops' moment ...

That's a great lume job too, really even, guessing there is a knack to that too.

p.s. strap looks great

• Like 3

Bonjour.. staying warm indoors with this one today until my new incoming arrives 

have a good one all :)

SMajomc.jpg

37 minutes ago, greasemonk said:

Love the dial colour and the highly polished case/bezel is a good match 

Nice bold numbers and hands .. fabulous job :yes:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Before the arrival of quartz watches and the tendency then to have several watches, or to dispose of watches, pretty sure my dad's watch was an Avia, and, as you say, decent quality.  But the only hand-winder that survived his personal quartz crisis was a Longines dress watch.  

that's brilliant - I am trimming down a dial at the moment, I had read that I would need to take 0.1mm off the diameter, but alas that was a decimal point error, and half a mil has to come off all round, which doesn't sound much, but it  takes a lot of patience, and I am afraid I have already had my 'oops' moment ...

That's a great lume job too, really even, guessing there is a knack to that too.

p.s. strap looks great

i trim dials down with the scissors on a swiss army knife,have to keep sharpening them though.my luming started out horrible, only after many cockups did it come presentable.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Certina are a brand I have looked at again and again, often because of the DS system and some have an 80 hr power reserve, and I was an ace away from buying a COSC Certina auto in TKMaxx believe it or not - I was waiting for the red sticker (I talk to the sales assistants who let me know when a discounting round is due), but when it got reduced it was hardly anything.  I mean it was a bargain, but I felt affronted, since they knocked £100 off the chrono (non COSC) version, so I sulked instead ha ha ha.

But that is a fantastic model, and 200m WR?  Closest I have seen to a 'go anywhere, do anything' watch !

Here's another pic of the Sturmanskie 3133 looking a more true blue - noticed it looked a bit greyish up top, took this under a higher temp bulb.

Yeah, it's 200 mtrs, it came on a bracelet, which is more appropriate for swimming than the leather strap i have on it just now.:)

802952646_CertinaDSActionDay-DateC032_430_22_031.00Powermatic80(2).thumb.jpg.84921981d3680d3b40330cb0e1adae6e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2