• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Buying a watch you have not tried on ...

Jet Jetski

I have had the new 40mm Ball Engineer Armor III in my basket twice now, but have not pulled the trigger - I think the price is great for a chronometer certified watch, obviously I like it, and I am old enough now that the dimming of the tritium tubes is unlikely to be a problem.  But will I like it when I put it on? - I do have reservations about the tubes being a bit gimmicky, and will they be out of scale on a 40mm dial?  But sorely tempted - good shock protection, 1000 gauss AM, decent WR  I have been looking at Ball watches for months now, and I was certain until a minute ago that I was going to buy it.  Nonetheless, I didn't because they are on pre-order and not available to try on.  I just can't imagine spending over 1k without having tried it.  I have spent nearly 1k, on a watch from America once, that keeps chronometer spec (wait, why do I need this Ball?  :whistle:) but that was an even better deal, and there was nothing controversial about the watch, I don't think I would have lost my shirt if I had decided to sell it, and a return (though expensive back to the US) was an option.

There are not even any 'proper' photos that I can see, just sterile renderings, so although I may yet go - untried - for a JS Watch company 'N.A.R.T.', and have considered the black Milus 'Snow Star', I have seen enough photos of these watches 'worn' to be able to gauge pretty well the quality and appearance on the wrist.

I have to say, from past experience, the only watches that I have flipped have been watches that I did not try on before I bought.

Do you have a policy on how much you will spend without having tried a watch?

J

I don't try on most of my watches but there are two I wish I had tried on before buying. 1st was a Glycine Airman 46mm it was like having a saucer strapped on my wrist and looked ridiculous.

2nd was a Rolex Deep Sea (Mk1) which just about everything was wrong (as I remind the forum several times a year) - it still irks me as rather stupidly I sold several restored vintage watches to help fund it.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I won't buy a watch for over a grand without trying it on .... and there was only ever one exception to that. I bought my £1800 NOS/unworn Breitling Colt from a Broker buddy of mine unseen because I had already owned a Colt in years previous.... But that's about the only time I would do that ...

That's what I'm thinking - Ball are a bit niche, and may not be so easy to flip.  Unlike a Rolex Deep Sea  - there's any number of loons out there queueing for those!

4 minutes ago, JoT said:

a Rolex Deep Sea

ooops

:laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have bought a few but always with a cast iron ‘return if not completely happy’ policy!
These have been through trusted/recommended  sources though.

Similarly with Christopher Ward, facility to return if not fully happy.  Never needed as always delighted!  :yes:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, yokel said:

Sorry,

Experience has taught me not to buy if I have not fondled it, and felt/seen it on my wrist.

And what if the actual watch resembles the Mk II?  On the Mk III they have done away with the minutes track on the rehaut - to obviate the need for butchery presumably.

s-l1600.jpg

here's the Mk III

Engineer III Armor (40mm)

A precise watch needs a minutes track ...

Edited by Jet Jetski

no problem buying before trying at what ever price had not tried any of my rolex before buying but they are spot on for me , but! i do try to do some due diligence and research before i buy, i do know what sizes suits based on experience , thats not to say i have not made mistakes :biggrin:, the GS quartz @ 37 mm was one , i sold at not too much of  a loss but added to the experience !

deano

• Thanks 1

Anything bought in the UK from a store can be returned within 14 days without even needing a reason.  Much harder if bought from overseas.

If the JS Watch is the one from Reykjavik then go for it!  I had the pleasure of visiting their tiny store and meeting the master watchmaker a few years ago, and still lust after a 101 38mm.  

31 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

If the JS Watch is the one from Reykjavik then go for it!  I had the pleasure of visiting their tiny store and meeting the master watchmaker a few years ago, and still lust after a 101 38mm.  

I think I will hold out for the Icelandic watch.  I really like the DLC Sif NART, not currently in stock, but may be, by Q2.  Time to save up!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, yokel said:

Sorry,

Experience has taught me not to buy if I have not fondled it, and felt/seen it on my wrist.

4 hours ago, richy176 said:

We were talking about watches - not women. :whistle:

1 hour ago, yokel said:
  • Applies to any pretty bauble :ooops:

:hmmm9uh:

Some baubles are out of reach

:tongue:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve just done this again but it’s a lower value watch. Had been looking for a dressy watch away from my normal divers. Saw that Mappin & Webb had reduced the price of their own Clarendon silver dial , gold batons on a brown strap. At the price it ain’t much of a gamble, so awaiting its arrival.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Anything bought in the UK from a store can be returned within 14 days without even needing a reason.  Much harder if bought from overseas.

Anything bought sight unseen can be returned within 14 days, i.e. online purchases or similar. If you buy in person in a store there is no obligation on the seller to accept a return if you change your mind.

... although there's not much danger of that most places at the minute.

18 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Anything bought sight unseen can be returned within 14 days, i.e. online purchases or similar. If you buy in person in a store there is no obligation on the seller to accept a return if you change your mind.

... although there's not much danger of that most places at the minute.

quite right - I missed off the online part.  Thank you for clarifying

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scottswatches said:

quite right - I missed off the online part.  Thank you for clarifying

I know online purchases are the point of this discussion but having worked in retail for many years the number of people who just assume they have an absolute legal right to return stuff they've bought in a shop is a regular headache when you have to be the one to tell them otherwise!!

For me this is part of watch collecting, sr a older model that’s not available anymore ,

try it on the wrist for a few months and if it stays it stays if not it’s getting flipped 

from doing this I’ve found I like 40mm plus size watches , different from the normal and I haven’t got to auto or quartz kinetic or solar preferences yet  

Edited by Iceblue