• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Your favourite lug width - and pet hate ... (p.s. it's 19mm)

20mm for me is fine up to 43mm watches even - OK at 44 you need something more in keeping perhaps.  But down to 37mm too, I think 20mm is fine - what I definitely don't want is a 21mm strap or a ...     19mm strap width!  Who would even go there?  

I really like the Yema M2 Flygraf, brushed bezel and dial, great hands I think and on my (currently) preferred size at 39mm case diameter. 

FlygrafPilotM2face_2048x.png?v=1592387114

300m WR, sapphire crystal, nice bit of perlage on the movement, which I am guessing is a spruced up version of a popular base caliber.

Drilled lugs Woo Hoo! great for strap changes, but wait ... 19mm lugs?  Why not 20mm.  Even if you go for the oft quoted 'half the case width', then at 39 that makes 19.5mm- round it up!

I have one 19mm strap.  Bought for an old Timex.

You could probably put curved 19mm bars on, and squeeze a 20mm NATO on them, because of the slight increase in length the curve gives you.  A good value watch I think, but 19mm lugs kills it for me.

Do you have a favourite lug width, and / or a pet hate size?

I've got 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23 and.24mm. 23mm is the most limited choice of supply for straps. Nothing for me to hate though. 34/36mm look best on 18mm straps, 38/40 on 20mm, and anything bigger, 22mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try to get stuff that’s 20mm or 22mm as that’s what all my good straps are, most my watches are between 38-42mm so these straps work well with them.

My pet hate is that the Orient Bambino is 21mm.... just make it 20mm like it should be.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Rookie1986 said:

My pet hate is that the Orient Bambino is 21mm.... just make it 20mm like it should be.

Good call!

11 hours ago, John_D said:

19mm lug width has it's origins in the imperial measurment system... 19mm equates to 3/4", near as dammit... 3/4" being 19.05mm, just 2 thousandths of an inch wider.......:wink:

Then Yema are still waging war on the English, using John Bull's very own imperial measurements against us!

1 hour ago, Jet Jetski said:

Good call!

Then Yema are still waging war on the English, using John Bull's very own imperial measurements against us!

<humour>Biding my time now that we are an independent nation. Once we can only get 3/4" straps I'll be the one laughing. </humour>(political note: I do not support leaving the EU one bit)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quite happy between 16-20mm.  22mm bearable for a bit, but anything bigger is like wearing a cuff for me.

1/2 case size is a good proportion on round watches I find.  I hate to see an 18mm strap on a 19mm lug - it improves the watch no end to just shell out and get the correct size.  I have only had one strap custom made, which was 19mm at the lugs with a 14mm buckle.  I did try and get a Bulgari Ergon strap made, as a new one was £400, but the custom design meant this was impossible.  I ended up buying a used bracelet instead.  I do think it looks better on the leather though, and I have genuine strap waiting for me in Hong Kong but it can't be shipped due to being Crocodile and restricted (yet I can buy a new strap - how is that protecting animals?)

(picture nicked from the web)

BULGARI  | ERGON, REF EG 35 S   STAINLESS STEEL WRISTWATCH WITH DATE    CIRCA 2000

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

<humour>Biding my time now that we are an independent nation. Once we can only get 3/4" straps I'll be the one laughing. </humour>(political note: I do not support leaving the EU one bit)

There'll be some serious OCD going on when we have to hunt for 25/32" straps to fit 20mm lugs. And all there is is 13/16ths. :crazy5vh:

A conversion table is available to help the afflicted. https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/length/mm-to-inch.html

Most of mine are 18mm, with a few 20, 17 and 19. They're no problem, it's 16mm I don't like.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

There'll be some serious OCD going on when we have to hunt for 25/32" straps to fit 20mm 

Most of mine are 18mm, with a few 20, 17 and 19. They're no problem, it's 16mm I don't like.

Agree there too - I have some sensible sized Russian watches still clinging to 16mm lug width.

• Like 1

22mm is perfecto for me. As for 21mm lugs, my DSOTM has a 21mm lug and I have 2 Omega straps for it. Likewise with Seiko, but find 22mm replacement straps do the job just fine. 

IMG-0050-053.jpg

• Like 2

Once upon a time I would have agreed with you on the 19mm thing. They're not hard to find though and I've got a few which I don't think would look as good with 'standard' 18 or 20.

18,19,20,22 are all fine on the right watch. More than 22mm doesn't work for me and 21 is just silly - at that point you're not looking at refinement and balance so just go 22 and stop being a pain!

Like @scottswatches says though, as long as you don't fit a strap that's too small...

That Yema's nice.

• Like 1