• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Thursday Timepieces 07.01.21

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all, On the Seiko today. Have a good one. 

Morning...   HAMILTON KHAKI CHRONOGRAPH. Cal: Valjoux 'Wobbler' (7750), 25 jewel. Old pic's.  

Finally got myself a JS Reykjavik 101 after meeting the watchmaker in June 2016 in his store.  Like some of the best designs it can appear quite plain, then the detail and finishing lift it to a highe

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Sulie said:

Still working from home .. and rather nippy this morning sat in the kitchen 

stay warm all 

y220dK5.jpg

What is the quality of the bracelet like on that please ? :)

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

What is the quality of the bracelet like on that please ? :)

this is a skmie model 

not a l Casio full metal .. although I do have one and these both are extremely compfy 

The silver one if spot one 

Spare link parts etc you could not use on the real . but from the outside it’s fabulous and just as comfy imho 

the skmei gold one looks the same but found a couple is loose links .. easy to rectify though 

if you put the two silver ones right next to each other it’s hard to tell apart to be honest.. I don’t have a Casio gold one to compare.. most impressed though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Balaton1109 said:

Morning,

I’m all too easily bamboozled by vintage Soviet watches and this alleged Sportivnie Kirova with its non-hacking “possible Sportivnie” movement of 16 rubies (despite the dial saying differently) is a case in point.

The good Dr. R lists that movement as having three different jewel counts with hacking as an option, so today’s effort may be nearly “right” but probably ain’t.

Regards.

Sportnivnie 2019 2 v.3.jpg

Sportivnie mvmt 2019 v.3.jpg

I have read many articles and websites about these, and THERE IS DEFINITELY NO 16J HACKING VARIANT.

Umm, except this one  :laughing2dw: (I'm not taking the back off again, you'll just have to trust me!):

136118082_396174351453808_4198924285044333332_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=k9q3HFL_CjgAX-By-ob&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-1.fna&oh=e2e4bcf81a971dbb705f4f1bbd83427d&oe=601E124C 

TBH I just don't think the factory workers were too picky over which bridge got used on a Friday afternoon, whatever it said on the dial.

p.s. despite the screw case they are not remotely waterproof, and half the patina on the dial is down to me washing my hands (carefully) in the cloakroom of Bury Station last year.

All adds to the character.

J

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

I have read many articles and websites about these, and THERE IS DEFINITELY NO 16J HACKING VARIANT.

Umm, except this one  :laughing2dw: (I'm not taking the back off again, you'll just have to trust me!):

136118082_396174351453808_4198924285044333332_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=k9q3HFL_CjgAX-By-ob&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-1.fna&oh=e2e4bcf81a971dbb705f4f1bbd83427d&oe=601E124C 

TBH I just don't think the factory workers were too picky over which bridge got used on a Friday afternoon, whatever it said on the dial.

p.s. despite the screw case they are not remotely waterproof, and half the patina on the dial is down to me washing my hands (carefully) in the cloakroom of Bury Station last year.

All adds to the character.

J

Perhaps Dr R meant that some of the variants do hack, whereas my 16/17j whatever, certainly doesn't.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Balaton1109 said:

Perhaps Dr R meant that some of the variants do hack, whereas my 16/17j whatever, certainly doesn't.

Yeah, I was just teasing, I have purportedly 15, 16 and 17j hacking variants, but I was quoting an 'expert' opinion I read somewhere that only the 17j variant hacked. Nonetheless I have since read that the hacking feature is an 'option', so I am guessing the requisite holes, studs or lugs are present in many of the movements sharing common parts, and ready to accept the hacking lever to stop the balance if required or desired.  I have a (currently) non-hacking 17j Sportivnie that will go away at some point, and when it does I will ask the watch man to investigate whether it perhaps used to hack, and whether the lever is broken, missing, and could be replaced.

• Like 1