• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Advice on Vintage Omega Watch Purchase

Hi all,

New to the forum (and to watches!) and just starting out. I turned 31 recently, and a watch was a present from my parents for my 30th which I never received - given Covid, I never got round to doing enough research physically and still can't so I'm resorting to online help. I've been eyeing up some lovely vintage Omegas as a starter watch. I love the classic, classy look of them and have found two I particularly like but am dubious about making a purchase without some unbiased advice (especially with regards to price as I haven't really been able to gauge whether the two watches below are priced too high for what they are).

Also, any comments on the two below would be massively helpful! Looking forward to getting involved in the community. If you have any suggestions for alternatives of a similar style to the ones linked below, I'd really appreciate those too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-Wrist-Watch-Omega-Seamaster-Deville-14k-Gold-Filled-Automatic-1967/233689150950

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mint-Original-Solid-9ct-Gold-Omega-Seamaster-De-Ville-With-Box-And-Papers-c1966/233780234408

Thank you, look forward to hearing from you.

Links here:

Chris

3 hours ago, Chrisssyg said:

Hi all,

New to the forum (and to watches!) and just starting out. I turned 31 recently, and a watch was a present from my parents for my 30th which I never received - given Covid, I never got round to doing enough research physically and still can't so I'm resorting to online help. I've been eyeing up some lovely vintage Omegas as a starter watch. I love the classic, classy look of them and have found two I particularly like but am dubious about making a purchase without some unbiased advice (especially with regards to price as I haven't really been able to gauge whether the two watches below are priced too high for what they are).

Also, any comments on the two below would be massively helpful! Looking forward to getting involved in the community. If you have any suggestions for alternatives of a similar style to the ones linked below, I'd really appreciate those too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-Wrist-Watch-Omega-Seamaster-Deville-14k-Gold-Filled-Automatic-1967/233689150950

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mint-Original-Solid-9ct-Gold-Omega-Seamaster-De-Ville-With-Box-And-Papers-c1966/233780234408

Thank you, look forward to hearing from you.

Links here:

Chris

Looks like the second one has been sold already.

The first is from a UK dealer that I've also seen on Chrono24. The watch doesn't have original documentation, but they say it's been serviced with a 12 month guarantee. It's gold filled (plated), not solid 9ct. That dealer has a lot of vintage Omegas, so would be worth looking at what else they have.

You'll pay more through a dealer, but have a little more assurance about the sale.

That's just my thoughts, there are others on here with more expertise, so see what they say.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated! I've seen the first has gone already.. Nevermind, it was really for reference - I haven't quite decided if I really mind about a solid gold or filled watch at the moment honestly, it won't be a regularly worn watch and it'll probably be kept for the rest of my life. Agree it's nice they're serviced and come with a guarantee - does that price £1330 for that plated Omega look like too much money? Or does it look fairly reasonable?

Thanks in advance,

Chris