• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Latest workshop toy

pauluspaolo

This arrived yesterday a cross slide attachment for my pillar drill. The idea being that I can do some basic milling - the cross slide moves the work forwards & backwards/left & right against the end mill so can be used for cutting grooves, designs etc into stock material (in the photo the stock material is steel). I've bought some end mills to go in the drill & the drill can be set & locked off at a specific depth. I'm pretty sure that everything's Chinese, except for the drill which is made in Leeds, YORKSHIRE (as Sean Bean shouts in a certain tea advert :notworthy:), it's not the best quality but wasn't particularly expensive so I got what I paid for really. 

I've bolted it to a base (mdf) which in turn bolts to the drill table. 

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hi Roger - it's not the best but hopefully not the worst either. There's a bit of play but it has gib strips & adjusting screws/locknuts so most of the play can be adjusted out. Some of the castings are a bit rough but the clamping faces are flat. I paid £40ish for it (from Amazon) & think it's good(ish) value. You can obviously pay much more than this & for a greater outlay I hope you'd get something significantly better.

For my needs though it's fine. I'm probably not going to be using it much & if it does go wrong/break then it's not too much money to lose. Having said all that I have got some pretty good results from it. I milled the cutouts on the last GotG knob with it. I marked the basic knob out as best as I could, locked the drill at the correct depth & lined the marks up by eye. Once the cutout was milled I rotated the knob in the cross slide & lined it up by eye again & made the next cut. There are 12 cutouts so I had to do this 12 times. Slow & steady is the phrase that comes to mind. I have to say though that the results are much better than I thought they would be & the job could all have gone horribly wrong at this stage.

If you can afford more then I'd pay more & maybe get a better quality one from an engineering supplier. There are plenty to choose from, but RDG Tools & Arc Euro Trade are two I've bought from in the past. Hope this helps :thumbs_up:

20210313_200044.jpg

20210315_171126.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...