• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Arrival the “Original” Divers' Watch

Got a Message earlier this week asking if I was interested in buying this, well these come up very often at the price offered so I have managed to PX in some watches that I never really bonded with so hasn’t hurt the bank balance which is a bonus

One of these has been on my radar for a little while as the “original” Divers watch that many have copied and aspired to over the years, being a “Aqua Lung” it was sold under the Jaques Cousteau line of sub Aqua equipment to the domestic market mainly , there’s quite a good blog of the history which explains it far better than me here 

http://people.timezone.com/jmerino/history50.pdf

2CC83FB4-CEEA-42FC-99D5-63A4AF34C64D.jpeg

37ECDBF0-D8DE-4804-9A57-C25541AD8D76.jpeg

0CDB22EE-0D9E-48B5-8FAE-F760CC1129D3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi.

Interesting piece, first Aqua Lung I’ve seen with the AS 13** series movement, have only seen ones with the AS17**series.

Do you plan on having it fettled, accredited & recorded at Blancpain?

:thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Hi.

Interesting piece, first Aqua Lung I’ve seen with the AS 13** series movement, have only seen ones with the AS17**series.

Do you plan on having it fettled, accredited & recorded at Blancpain?

:thumbsup:

it was a bit of a leap of faith tbh so It might be a good idea to have it accredited with Blancpain , I have tried to do some research but read on one site that there is around 50 different variants of the Fifty Fathons watch, I found this one which appears to be near on identical to mine with the same movement 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-Blancpain-Rayville-Aqua-Lung-1000ft-Diver-Bold-Pre-Radiation-Type-SEAL/303557675495

Indeed there were many iterations of the Fifty Fathoms, prototypes & French Navy variants, with first models showing ‘50 Fathoms’ on dial, being the most coveted.

The limited production allocation to TORNEK, USA, also found with varying fonts on the dial, are also highly sought after.

Interestingly, these TORNEK allocation were initially stripped of their ‘Swiss’ jewels, insistence of Federal import regulations, & replaced with ‘Mississipp’ rubies. :(  TORNEK found the home sourced jewels less efficient & replaced them (quietly) with the original (Swiss) jewels. :thumbs_up:

• Like 2