• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Car Experts...Help!

The wife pointed out to me the other day that a lot of tiny bumps or blisters had appeared on the boot lid of her 8 year old Peugeot 308 CC. On closer examination, it looks as though these bumps are spreading all over the car, especially down the top surfaces of the quarter panels and doors. They are about 0.5 - 1mm in diameter and feel like braille. The lacquer also seems to be lifting is some places. They have only just appeared...they were certainly not there a few weeks ago when I cleaned the car, as I would have felt them, as I can now. Does anyone know why this should suddenly happen, and can it be rectified in some way? Or do I need to take it to a body shop for advice?

Small blisters in paint (These are all over the boot lid)

Peugeot paint.

Peugeot paint.

Damage to lacquer.
Peugeot paint.

Lacquer peel usually happens over a long time. If it has only appeared in the last few weeks then I’d be thinking it’s some sort of contamination from something.

Either way it needs some professional bodywork that probably won’t be cheap as you’d probably need to have the whole car done but is the motor worth it. How much is one of those worth at that age ??

Kristina and inherited what was a perfectly nice silver coloured Vauxhall Astra estate from Kris's parents. All went well until the paint began to erupt from underneath. Eventually, this spread throughout the vehicle and it was impossible to keep up the attempt to rectify the problem in a piecemeal fashion. Vauxhall refused to do anything about the disappearing paintwork, but we did find out that the cause was a faulty undercoat application, probably a rogue batch of undercoat rather than the actual painting of the vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Craftycockney said:

it's possible that it might have had a previous paint job (repair) or smart repair that is showing it's age. What do you use to wash the car? car shampoo? seems a bit random but seem worse!

Will definitely need painting again!

We bought it brand new in 2013, and it's had no paint jobs. It's the original paint. I wonder if the clear coat is breaking down as it sits in the sun all day.

36 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

We bought it brand new in 2013, and it's had no paint jobs. It's the original paint. I wonder if the clear coat is breaking down as it sits in the sun all day.

Possible but if you brought it new I would suggest speaking to manufacturer as it should have some sort anti perforation warranty normally 7 years

1 minute ago, Craftycockney said:

Possible but if you brought it new I would suggest speaking to manufacturer as it should have some sort anti perforation warranty normally 7 years

https://www.charterspeugeot.com/aftersales/peugeot-warranty/#:~:text=Our cars feature a 12,free%2C optional year of warranty.

Spoke to the Peugeot dealer where the car was bought and they have asked me to bring the car in for a diagnostic check on the paintwork on Feb 2nd. According to the original invoice, we paid for 'Peugeot Protect' at the time of buying which was a 'For life' paint protection product. Will be interesting to see what transpires. Pretty sure it's not rust, but rather a failure of the paint/lacquer itself.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Spoke to the Peugeot dealer where the car was bought and they have asked me to bring the car in for a diagnostic check on the paintwork on Feb 2nd. According to the original invoice, we paid for 'Peugeot Protect' at the time of buying which was a 'For life' paint protection product. Will be interesting to see what transpires. Pretty sure it's not rust, but rather a failure of the paint/lacquer itself. full valuation to see if there is enough residual for me to buy Bikers BMW.

There you go, fixed... for free! :biggrin:

Edited by Biker
  • Haha 4

On 19/01/2021 at 16:58, Biker said:

You need to sell it quickly and buy a low mileage 2003, 3 series BMW 2.0 Diesel Auto in blue with grey leather trim.

You're in luck!  I have one sitting on the driveway...  :thumbs_up:

Put it up the classifieds you never know your luck. I Brought a 2010 version for the  Mrs just before xmas!

• Like 1

Can you tell if it's the lacquer or paint (or both) that's bubbling up? I suspect because you have lacquer peel elsewhere on the car that it'll be the lacquer only that's lifting, leaving the paint underneath intact but unprotected. I would hope, on a car that's only 7 or 8 years old, that it's not rust. I hasten to add that I'm not a bodywork expert at all but I'd have thought that it'd be easier to remove/respray lacquer than it would be paint. To my basic way of thinking lacquer acts like varnish i.e. it provides a shiny protective coat that can be touched up/repaired without mucking about with what's underneath it.

Hope you get it sorted & I'd be interested to hear what happens :) 

• Thanks 1

ok my opinion for what its worth is , the paint has whats called " micro blisted " thats were moisture has entered the substarate and is trapped below the paint/ primer causing tiny rust spots  on the metal below, could have happened when the car was painted new ?, but more common when repairs / repainting has been carried out or in storage when damp or condensation is allowed to rest on the paint( can happen when car is garaged)   , they really show them selfs in cold damp heavy moisture conditions like we have at the moment , come summer they would disapear!

only real solution is to strip paint back to bare metal & repaint.

if the garage use a paint depth guage they hsould be able to tell if its been repainted/ repaired at any time.

cheers deano

On 21/01/2021 at 11:46, pauluspaolo said:

Can you tell if it's the lacquer or paint (or both) that's bubbling up? I suspect because you have lacquer peel elsewhere on the car that it'll be the lacquer only that's lifting, leaving the paint underneath intact but unprotected. I would hope, on a car that's only 7 or 8 years old, that it's not rust. I hasten to add that I'm not a bodywork expert at all but I'd have thought that it'd be easier to remove/respray lacquer than it would be paint. To my basic way of thinking lacquer acts like varnish i.e. it provides a shiny protective coat that can be touched up/repaired without mucking about with what's underneath it.

Hope you get it sorted & I'd be interested to hear what happens :) 

Generally speaking, you cannot relacquer old paint, it won't last long before it peels. Lacquer has to be applied to new paint at a certain ''setting stage''which is why you have to repaint to an edge. You can't blow in scratches with basecoat and lacquer like you could in the old days with cellulose. Quite how these mobile scratch and dent repair people do it, I don't know.

On 20/01/2021 at 13:04, Roger the Dodger said:

Spoke to the Peugeot dealer where the car was bought and they have asked me to bring the car in for a diagnostic check on the paintwork on Feb 2nd. According to the original invoice, we paid for 'Peugeot Protect' at the time of buying which was a 'For life' paint protection product. Will be interesting to see what transpires. Pretty sure it's not rust, but rather a failure of the paint/lacquer itself.

I hope you have luck with these. I had corrosion warranty done on my VW right at the end of the period it was applicable for. They replaced and painted one wing, but wouldn't do the other or the bonnet. The other wing showed the same signs of corrosion from the inside (known issue) that the replaced one did but at an earlier stage. As for the bonnet, it was rusting out at one of the spot welds under the rear of the catch. No chance anything had caused that but age, but they were firm with what would be rectified. They'll try everything to get out of it, such as saying its not been cleaned enough/too much/damage from some king of chemical or bird droppings/moon and stars out of alignment etc.

• 1 month later...