• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Alpina watches

Damian

Alpina are an old Swiss brand, make some good quality watches. They were part of the Frédérique Constant group for a while, but that is now owned by Citizen, although they still seem to operate as before. I've an Alpiner, one of my favourite watches.

Alpina Alpiner AL-525S4E3 (Cal: AL-525)

Alpina 'Alpiner' (Cal AL-525)Alpina Alpiner AL-525S4E3 (Cal AL-525) (6)Alpina Alpiner AL-525S4E3 (Cal AL-525) (10)

• Like 3

I’ve never owned one either but confess that they make some gorgeous watches. They do seem to be a lot more competitively priced (and popular) overseas.

I one you mention is a stunning looking compressor. Which colour are you looking at?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I’ve never owned one either but confess that they make some gorgeous watches. They do seem to be a lot more competitively priced (and popular) overseas.

I one you mention is a stunning looking compressor. Which colour are you looking at?

Blue dial with SS bezel on a leather strap

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wrenny1969 said:

I've been very pleased with mine :) Its an old pic despite showing the 20th - which is why the day is out.

IMG_20190820_150251253_HDR

Lovely. 

Ive just pulled the plug and ordered the Alpiner 4. £200 cheaper than anywhere else i could find. Great buy. I missed out on a pre owned one back in christmas.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Everyone I have ever known who has had one has loved them and only flipped due to size ...... 

Its a brand I have always admired.

Hopefully size will be ok. Ive had a 44mm Christopher ward C8 in the past which was fine. I prefer a larger watch.

21 hours ago, Damian said:

Hopefully size will be ok. Ive had a 44mm Christopher ward C8 in the past which was fine. I prefer a larger watch.

That's why I went for the earlier Alpiner, it was only 41mm, which is better for that dress style watch on my smaller wrists. Looked at the Alpina 4 but wasn't too sure on the size, but being a more sportier looking watch it may have been ok.

• Like 1

I haven't got any personal experience of them, but back in the days when I was allowed to fly out to Austria for work once a month I always used to have a look in the Alpina shop display at Vienna Airport. They struck me as being awesome quality and very well made watches.  Probably a tad small for my personal taste (I use the word "taste" loosely, there... :tongue:) but nevertheless they definitely have a presence about them, which is clear just by looking at the ones shown on this thread.

• Like 1

Have nearly succumbed to the auto Seastrong diver on a number of occasions but always stopped myself at the last minute. No idea why as the reviews say they're excellently made. There's also a Seastrong smart watch if that sort of thing floats your boat - it makes mine sink I'm afraid!  

Anyway I've got an Edox Worldtimer now which fills my need for an under the radar but great quality Swiss divers watch :thumbs_up:

I doubt you'll be disappointed if you decide to buy. The Alpiner shown above looks great - just a bit too classy/dressy for me - go on get it bought :biggrin:

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Damian said:

Thanks all for your replies. Hopefully watch will be delivered tomorrow. Just hope its not too big

Some watches look bigger than they are due to dial design so don't be too hasty when popping it on ... waft around the room for a bit like Jason King and let it sink in a bit ... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Watch has arrived and I love it, but the bezel doesnt line up at 12 oclock? Is this a common thing with bezel watches? Am i being too fussy? Is it acceptable with a watch that has an rrp of £1300?

Alpina

Edited by Damian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damian said:

Watch has arrived and I love it, but the bezel doesnt line up at 12 oclock? Is this a common thing with bezel watches? Am i being too fussy? Is it acceptable with a watch that has an rrp of £1300?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/widge34/shares/1HAn01

out of interest how many clicks for a full rotation of the bezel? 

It really should line up.

I have one watch with 60 clicks and it struggles to line up, almost like it's in between teeth.

1 minute ago, wrenny1969 said:

out of interest how many clicks for a full rotation of the bezel? 

It really should line up.

I have one watch with 60 clicks and it struggles to line up, almost like it's in between teeth.

Its a 120 clicks bi directional. Its about half a click out

• Like 1