• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New watch day! Heuer Autavia Calibre 02

I'm in mild danger of verging on becoming a 'collector' of sorts rather than an aimless enthusiast. My top box now contains 2 examples of many brands and today's arrival has made the situation worse (....or better? :huh:.............probably worse).

Today saw the arrival of the Tag Autavia Calibre 02 from Watchfinder:

IMG_20210120_175511

Firstly let's discuss Watchfinder. This was my first experience with them and it was a very positive one.

I ended up there as I was looking at a number of examples and was playing the game on eBay for a BNIB, however I missed out on that one. Watchfinder had an example which was priced the same as the previous eBay example. However the condition, based on the photos seemed to be excellent for a used example. I know this watch already as I have the Special Edition (Panda as opposed to this new Evil Panda) and the high polish is intense so scratches appear really easily but the clasp and case looked clear.

I built rapport with the Sales Associate and we easily arrived at a price that worked for both of us (approx 15% discount). Completing the sales process was a breeze and the watch was in my hands less than 18 hours later.

Watchfinder put the yards in which added to the value proposition:

IMG_20210120_195025

Manufacturer's box is placed in a Watchfinder shoebox with added documentation attached. No true value I see in that but really adds to the theater to create the feel of a new watch, when not the case.

Box, papers and spare links all in place as expected:

IMG_20210120_195009

The watch itself is really great. Excellent condition so I feel it is almost LNIB. A minor light scratch across the clasp which you can almost suffer by looking at the watch the wrong way with these models. I've taken it off the bracelet (as is the case with my other example) as it's just too high polish for me. I can't handle the bling. 

IMG_20210120_194132

I have a bit of a thing about bracelets at the moment anyway. It's like they take too much focus off the case or something? As a result, i've put it straight onto a leather strap but already have a number of leather racing straps in the post. Springbar snapped but my experience so far is that Tag springbars might as well be a Twiglet and I have a supply of Amazon specials, equal to the task.

I don't really know too much about the engineering of movements. I know what's what and the basic stats but I don't really care. I actually get irritated if someone tries to lay into a beautiful, well made watch just because it has a Miyota or Sellita etc....This looks good to me though (cool rotor):

IMG_20210120_194200

Next to the Special Edition, i'm happy these make quite a pair:

IMG_20210120_194243

I'd like to say these two would cover most occasions but as stated at the opening, i have many pairs that could also do that job so what can I tell you....welcome to watches :wink:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm in mild danger of verging on becoming a 'collector' of sorts rather than an aimless enthusiast. My top box now contains 2 examples of many brands and today's arrival has made the situation worse (

@antjrice Firstly, great write-up. It's nice when the effort is put in to showcase the watch with a written intro and good quality pics and it's very much appreciated!  Secondly, the two pandas si

I have never been a huge Tag fan, not even a small Tag fan, that being said, the one watch I have craved all my adult life over any other watch has been the Monaco, which I now have, then I found myse

Posted Images

Just now, JonnyOldBoy said:

Thanks for this .... great advert for a fabulous watch and brand ...

For sure.

I wonder if the anti-Tag thing is still relevant or just something dragged out by the Watch Press for the sake of content creation.

5 minutes ago, antjrice said:

For sure.

I wonder if the anti-Tag thing is still relevant or just something dragged out by the Watch Press for the sake of content creation.

Anyone that knows anything about watches knows that TAG is up there .. sure they have their issues .. their entry watches are polished with butter and mark just when they are looked at ... and the entire offerings are overpriced but most people can navigate that. Wonderful watches and no one who loves watches seriously would diss the Brand. I loved my aqua racer that I had for a year or so .. superb watch.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I bet most of them would still run though after a 0.39p Aliexpress battery swap!

Hey, mine is still running after more than 25 years, and some idiot even left the crown unscrewed once before jumping in the water.  Erm ...  at least I got some decent patina out of it!

IMG_20200810_234130331(1).thumb.jpg.92129e26122c6d9deae1d36191cdf375.jpg

I even hung it on my wall ...

pic2.jpg.aeb9560b6665caf9120c208b64809160.jpg

8 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

and mark just when they are looked at

My 6000 was not entry level at the time, but when I was complaining about the straps kept breaking, I also mentioned how easily the bezel scratched - in the end they gave me the bracelet to shut me up - but they did keep my guarantee card!  :laughing2dw:

My mk 1 bracelet and case has been fine, but perhaps that is because I made sure the screws were not overtightened - an engineer friend introduced me to Loctite 262 thread-lock.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Hey, mine is still running after more than 25 years, and some idiot even left the crown unscrewed once before jumping in the water.  Erm ...  at least I got some decent patina out of it!

IMG_20200810_234130331(1).thumb.jpg.92129e26122c6d9deae1d36191cdf375.jpg

I even hung it on my wall ...

pic2.jpg.aeb9560b6665caf9120c208b64809160.jpg

So my father in law owns an Air-King and this:

IMG_20201226_092042

It is this that he wears and swims in nearly every day (he has his own pool) and it's also this that he jumped into the pool with before Christmas with the crown undone!....it didn't miss a beat.

The Air-King lives in the Rolex pouch it's been in since it's last service!

Edited by antjrice
  • Like 1
Just now, antjrice said:

Packet of silica gel will see you right (don't do this.....)

haha, it was a long long time ago, nearly 20 years - I just left the crown unscrewed and left it on a radiator dial down.  Did the trick.

8 hours ago, antjrice said:

For sure.

That's a lovely looking pair of watches , and they look much better on leather anyway. :thumbsup:    The anti-Tag thing is just a purist's niggle and really happened in force when the company was bought out by a company like LVMH, that makes handbags. :teethsmile:   Some early Heuers, without the 'Tag' fetch some silly money these days though, much like early Speedmasters but when you've got a pair of watches that look like yours, you can't really go wrong !

• Thanks 1

Congrats! Really like this and great photos too :thumbs_up:

I am not usually a massive Tag fan overall (I do have a Calibre 5) but I think these are great and would definitely consider either of them!

Great choice and a great looking watch. I too had a really good experience with WatchFinder, even in store.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I’ve had this for around 10 years now, worn it daily for maybe 6 of those, worn it on a building site, on a farm rearing pheasants, swimming in the sea and the Thames. It’s worn very well in my opinion. Change the battery every 2 years of so and runs as well as any quartz watch should. 

50859683222_42f7b839d6_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Jersey1965 said:

Fantastic watch, I’ve got 3 tags, a not a problem between. I for one love the brand and get sick of people knocking the brand

I agree, it tends to be real aficionados of the early Heuer brand that feel that way, feeling that somehow the more modern 'Tag' input and then LVMH devalued the whole ethos of the brand built on their earlier glories, including the Steve McQueen Le Mans connection.

This article explains how some feel the brand should still be .... https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/auctions/steve-mcqueens-le-mans-heuer-monaco-watch-to-be-auctioned

The same applies to many brands though from the glory days, times change though, and I suppose that we collectors should just be glad that these brands still exist in some form and didn't disappear after the quartz revolution. Be grateful for what we've got is always my feeling. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@antjrice Firstly, great write-up. It's nice when the effort is put in to showcase the watch with a written intro and good quality pics and it's very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Secondly, the two pandas side by sider are simply stunning. Both great watches in their own right, but great to have the pair. 

Great post!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Caller. said:

@antjrice Firstly, great write-up. It's nice when the effort is put in to showcase the watch with a written intro and good quality pics and it's very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Secondly, the two pandas side by sider are simply stunning. Both great watches in their own right, but great to have the pair. 

Great post!

Kind words and much appreciated :thumbsup:

I have never been a huge Tag fan, not even a small Tag fan, that being said, the one watch I have craved all my adult life over any other watch has been the Monaco, which I now have, then I found myself drawn to the Monza, and after this bloody thread the Autavia is now up there on my most desirable list!

Harumph!

Anyway... Lovely watches, great pictures and an excellent write up.

Good for you Sir!  :thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1