• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The new Zenith El Primero - a blatant Rolex copy

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/zenith-chronomaster-sport-el-primero-3600-calibre/

Really,Zenith?

This is the best you can do? Same colour scheme, same bracelet and clasp design, same bezel style.

Or just picking the annoyed Daytona customers who are sick of waiting and paying double and triple retail price?

Not impressed at all. What are your thoughts?

Rgds

Dimi

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's not be so confrontational please, there's no need for it

Zenith for many years supplied the movements for Daytonas and if anyone has the right to borrow the odd style element ,,, its them :-)

Old Daytona’s were basically Zeniths with Rolex on the dial anyway.   

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

Really,Zenith?

This is the best you can do? Same colour scheme, same bracelet and clasp design, same bezel style.

Or just picking the annoyed Daytona customers who are sick of waiting and paying double and triple retail price?

Rgds

Dimi

Not seeing any similarity apart from the bezel. Whats your point? Unable to buy one as an investment or something?

• Haha 3

Not sure why are you annoyed by the "investment" scent from my other topic.

I believe,I already mentioned it above:

Same colour combo - black and white/silver dial.

Black ceramics bezel.

Oyster bracelet.

Copy of Rolex clasp.

Similar case design.

Let's say similarities are more than contrasts. Or in other words - this watch is closer to Rolex Daytona than to IWC 3717.

Will the stated above make more sense now?

Rgds

Not sure why are you annoyed by the "investment" scent from my other topic.

I believe,I already mentioned it above:
Same colour combo - black and white/silver dial.
Black ceramics bezel.
Oyster bracelet.
Copy of Rolex clasp.
Similar case design.
Let's say similarities are more than contrasts. Or in other words - this watch is closer to Rolex Daytona than to IWC 3717.
Will the stated above make more sense now?
Rgds

There’s other watches that take closer design cues than these two. You make it sound as though they look exactly the same.

Not sure what your issue is with your strong thread title or is it just click bait?

Here’s one of my Zeniths and Rolex:

f51d4d9824f94c94acb4992b807b1a44.jpeg

423ded3c7dd841ccdc69d68e2278b2d9.jpeg

Let’s see yours as your such an expert on the brands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used to have Explorer 2 and Pilot ,both gone now,I am afraid. It turns out I am more Omega guy. Can show SMP Bond or Speedy Pro if you are interested in any of them,but they are quite frequently seen as models here so no point in this.

I am not an expert. If I was ,I would be paid for publishing nonsense,lol.

Much love.

P.S. this El Primero is sick,just not the ideal size for me.

I would go for 37mm myself.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mitadoc said:

Really,Zenith?

Rgds

Dimi

Looks good to me and better than all the err homage Daytona clones around. After all Rolex wouldn't be anywhere with their Daytona without the El Primero movement! 

18 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

I really like it! I'm a big Zenith fan, I will go far as to say it looks alot nicer than the Daytona!. Might be one to add to the 'I'm not going to buy anymore watches list'.

Zenith's are such under rated watches. 

Totally agree :biggrin:

IMG_20201217_155059.jpg

• Like 2

Does look very much like a Daytona to me which isn't a bad thing I suppose. At 10K it's an expensive homage mind you.

Nice to see such a classy looking movement though and usually couldn't give a monkies about that :laugh:

• Like 1

The Zenith has a higher beat rate, meaning it can properly measure 1/10 of a second increments.  It also has calendar function and no screw down pushers, plus different colour subdials and a different bezel numbers system.  I think it is easy enough to spot the differences to not be a homage

• Like 4

If you removed any branding and asked me to name that watch, irrespective of the bezel and based on the colours on the subdials and their overlap - i'd absolutely say it's an El Primero.

I think they both look great and the bezel compliments them both. I would personally go for one of these easily.

My future preference is unlikely to be for a modern Daytona as I don't like ring style sub dials. 

3 hours ago, Igerswis said:

There’s other watches that take closer design cues than these two. You make it sound as though they look exactly the same.

I will just post this here.

FB-IMG-1611332195062.jpg

• Like 4
Just now, mitadoc said:

Damn, I have to check my eyes then.

Thank you :)

Your welcome but to your point at 1st glance I can see what you mean about similarities. 'blatant Rolex Copy' that I would have to disagree as I mentioned when you start to look in more detail Zenith's USP's start to stand out. Also would also put my neck on the chopping block to say Zenith's El Primero is better then Rolex's movement. Not that there is anything wrong with either I currently own a Zenith & previously owned a Daytona.

4 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

Your welcome but to your point at 1st glance I can see what you mean about similarities. 'blatant Rolex Copy' that I would have to disagree as I mentioned when you start to look in more detail Zenith's USP's start to stand out. Also would also put my neck on the chopping block to say Zenith's El Primero is better then Rolex's movement. Not that there is anything wrong with either I currently own a Zenith & previously owned a Daytona.

Well, let's say "blatant" was a clickbait ... But it worked I guess. I faced some frustration. 

Just now, mitadoc said:

Well, let's say "blatant" was a clickbait ... But it worked I guess. I faced some frustration. 

It did indeed. Also if you have been on the forum as long as I have these types of post normally entertain me big time! I usually get the pop corn out & take a front seat as when Rolex is mentioned sparks tend to fly!:rltrlt:

• Haha 3

You can definitely spot that it's a Zenith but I can absolutely see the OP's point, I would feel that I was wearing a not so poor man's Daytona. I'd much rather have one of their multicoloured chronos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, mitadoc said:

I will just post this here.

FB-IMG-1611332195062.jpg

Wow, even the hands.  I'm waiting for the Corgeut version, it will probably be a mil or so bigger and look a bit better because they will space the sub-dials slightly wider apart.  Fingers crossed it will be quartz too.

5 hours ago, spinynorman said:

TBH, with all that writing on the dial, it's the Rolex that looks like the homage. :laugh:

now then ....

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Haha 1