• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Forgive me if I've got it wrong but at 86 this new technology is not for me. I'm not a watch fan but a Long Case Clock man. I bought this clock in 1953 at a farm sale, in pieces on the barn floor, 18 years old and my first time out on my own in the family van. I asked the auctioneer "Will it go?"  His reply - "Aye lad when you buy it." It cost me £5. I got it home and  mother said "I'm not having that thing in the house." We had a four volume series of "Practical Mechanics" with an article on grandfather clocks which I studied carefully. I was lucky the clock was complete and I got it ticking. 

It moved home with me three times and continued ticking until about eight or nine years ago when it started to gain and I added 3 inches to the pendulum and then after a few months it started to gallop. The escape wheel had worn unevenly and the escapement was slipping. I replaced the mechanism with a quartz dial and put the clockwork on one side to fix one day. 

Old age and lockdown forced me to give up some of my interests so I bought a couple of books on clock mending and took my old clock to pieces. Problem - how to top a scape wheel. Was partly answered when I found a sewing machine motor and then saw a chinese mini lathe online and made a "lathe" with which I topped the wheel, then soldered an extension to the pallets and cleaned it up and away it went- well not quite like that but it is back in its case and keeping good time.

I would much appreciate if any one could date it. The hands are brass, the seconds hand is new last week, there is no makers name on the dial. There is a mark on the falseplate I*H which could be for Josiah Hayes. here is a link to pictures of my lathe, the falseplate mark, the dial just before it was replaced in its case and the strike mechanism.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LvVS9svQgXJJn4wq0V91zZ8pWTy4ZEA7?usp=sharing

• Like 2

Lol however I forgot to mention the wood and motor was free  and the chinese mini lathe cost £15.99.

More interesting point I missed is that the escape wheel has 31 teeth - yes it does 62 ticks to the minute.