• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Window Stickers

I forgot I had these, the car stickers from my childhood family holidays.    Always went camping somewhere in the UK.                                                                                                                           I'm certain the last car these were on would be dad's HC Viva, so 1967 to 69.   Don't know why, but I've never forgotten the reg.   HBR 411E.large.20210131_111618.jpg.b5dde98b4567d6daad9ca2a83b2a583f.jpg

• Like 4

Before th Viva, we had a 850 Mini.   I think I mentioned this in another thread, but one year we were on Skye and it had been chucking it down for 3 days.                           Dad had on the radio it was red hot in Cornwall, so down came the tent and we drove non stop there, up with the tent and dad went to kip!

I can't imagine driving that distance in that car on the roads then !

• Haha 1

That has bought back memories, I remember adorning my dads car with them in the early 1960's  (Ford Popular 100E, Ambassador Blue).

I can also relate to the 850 Mini Scottish experience. In 1969, in my 850 Mini, three days camping by a Loch, somewhere near Pitlochry, (Loch Tummel I think), in continuos rain, resulted in packing up the tent and driving, non-stop, back to London. Incidently as we crossed the border, back into England, the rain stopped and the sun came out.......never been back to Scotland since....

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Put a tiger in your tank – Childhood Memories of 1960s and 70s

I well remember the Esso 'Put a tiger in your tank' campaign...the window stickers and the furry tigers tails as pictured above. I seem to recall they also did a transfer sheet of some bullet holes to stick on your windscreen to coincide with the release of the Bond film 'Goldfinger'.

• Like 1

You made it to John O'Groats...... well done.:thumbsup:

That's my home territory up there. Do you remember the Berridale Braes on your trip? Depends on your age at the time right enough.

The first car I remember my Dad having was a  Hillman Avenger 1500 DL. Reg No. FSK 147K

Edited by Hayballs
Text added

2 minutes ago, Hayballs said:

You made it to John O'Groats...... well done.:thumbsup:

That's my home territory up there. Do you remember the Berridale Braes on your trip? Depends on your age at the time right enough.

Doesn't ring a bell,  I was probably only about 7 years old when we visited.   I can sort of remember beings there but only just.

Funny isn't it, I can't remember at all what I was doing a couple of weeks ago!

Never understood the fascination for staying in a soggy  drafty tent when there are caravans or B&B’s, thankfully neither did my mother

48884701242_aff30d9830_b.jpg

The only sticker remember on our car was “L” plates. My father was never able to pass his driving test due to his poor eyesight so he drove everywhere on a provisional license with my mother sat beside him who did have a license but was terrified of driving.

:huh:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Never understood the fascination for staying in a soggy  drafty tent when there are caravans or B&B’s, thankfully neither did my mother

The only sticker remember on our car was “L” plates. My father was never able to pass his driving test due to his poor eyesight so he drove everywhere on a provisional license with my mother sat beside him who did have a license but was terrified of driving.

You might be interested in that number plate is still attached to a vehicle. I'm rather disappointed, however, as I was expecting something much more exciting than a 2016 1300cc Honda Jazz .  The plate has to be worth as much, if not more than the car...it deserves to be on something far more exotic now.

1 minute ago, John_D said:

You might be interested in that number plate is still attached to a vehicle. I'm rather disappointed, however, as I was expecting something much more exciting than a 2016 1300cc Honda Jazz .  The plate has to be worth as much, if not more than the car...it deserves to be on something far more exotic now.

Well there you go, back then it was difficult to transfer a number plate and there wasn't any real value in them so one year when it came round to keeping it on the road with another Mot test he decided it wasn't worth fixing up anymore and bought another car, it went to a local scrap dealer for a few quid, I still have the receipts and he had only paid about £120 for it when he bought it in the 60's with that plate on it and we had it for years. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Was that your car ?    Reg will be worth a few quid. 

My dad could have qualified as Britain's worst driver. He could have made window stickers out of charge sheets collected from most counties in the UK. He best/worst was causing a multi vehicle pile up in Blair Athol, and the police eventually caught him a couple of miles away from @Roger the DodgerEvery holiday was a white knuckle ride more frightening than an all day ticket for the Pepsi Max rollercoaster, and coupled with the inevitable break down in his ill prepared motors only added to the excitement/horror. I remember breaking down climbing Shap pre motorway days in the height of the holiday season in the sweltering heat and learning many new words from passing lorry drivers who had been held up in the miles long tail back he'd caused. We also had the habit of calling on people he "knew" at meal times. :laughing2dw:

Tell you another thing my dad did, was had me driving on main roads at the age of 9, with an old geezers bonnet on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...