• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Bargaining strategy

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking the forum for a few months searching for info but this is my very first post (the most repeated line in the forum!!!). I never used to wear a watch, and last year I came up with this silly idea that maybe wearing one could help with my hideous time management skills. Needless to say it didn't, and now I'm hooked and spending far too much money on watches, straps, etc :mad0218:. I know it's customary to post a few pictures of the collection, but unfortunately I'm away and have no pics. Sorry about that, guys. 

I'm on the hunt now for a 60's/70's Tissot Seastar (second best: Seiko Lordmatic) mostly on ebay. I went for a few auctions but got beat at the last second. Also, I tried a few "But It Now/Make Offer". My initial offer tends to be around 20-15% off, the rationale behind that being that it's a fairly low offer, but reasonable enough (or so I thought) to be taken seriously. Well, clearly it's not working out, no counter-offers so far. Obviously the solution is just offering a bit more :laughing2dw:, but I'm curious about how much you guys offer normally.

Also, other than ebay (the best but a minefield), Chrono24 (way overpriced) and Catawiki (rep for being dodgy), what others websites do you recommend here in Europe for under 500 € vintage watches?

Cheers

Jorge

My perspective (not to be confused with a recommendation) is that eBay is the right hunting ground in terms of what you're after as long as you do your homework. 

The eBay protection mechanism can cover your ass if you follow its requirements but not pay you back wasted time. 

Your choice is therefore what will provide better true value? Following your current strategy and being patient for a less experienced seller with not great pics and the auction ending at 11:00am a Tuesday or throwing a few more dollars in to meet the apparent market value. 

Lots get the thrill from either strategy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

One strategy I employed on ebay when I used to buy watches was not to bid in round numbers, which most people do. Often, putting in a bid for, say, £30 and a few random pence ie. £30.45 might just tip it in your favour and win it for you. It used to work for me.

I do the same, often works.

• Thanks 1

Try birth year watches if you want confidence in tbe watch / seller ( @scottswatches)

By ebay technique is to offer what I think it's worth / what I'd be happy paying and then take 20% off that! Always add a note to the seller too to open up a line of comms, this will give them a bit of confidence in you and in turn you get to suss them out by their response. If bidding, as mentioned above, go for obscure amounts just above the next bid increment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Georgie_Porgie said:

I went for a few auctions but got beat at the last second.

You've been sniped. The price on an eBay auction will often increase dramatically at the last minute, as bids placed by sniping apps come in. If you're the highest bidder with half an hour to go, you need to make sure your maximum is high enough to cover that. I've seen prices double at the end. 

• Like 2

One word of warning, don't haggle if it is cheap enough already as you may miss out.  And when people do low ball me (for example $500 on a £900 watch, which happened recently), I return with suggestions for watches within their budget and I never give them any discount.  That might just be me being offended though!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jonesinamillion said:

By ebay technique is to offer what I think it's worth / what I'd be happy paying and then take 20% off that! Always add a note to the seller too to open up a line of comms, this will give them a bit of confidence in you and in turn you get to suss them out by their response.

It didn't occur to me to send them a note along with the offer. 

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

One word of warning, don't haggle if it is cheap enough already as you may miss out.

Good advice from an insider. I didn't know your shop, mate, you have some interesting watches there. The Record chronograph in particular is gorgeous. How about 500 quid for it? :naughty:

Thank you all for your replies. As you may have guessed I didn't really use ebay before getting into watches, so it's a bit of a learning curve for me.

• Haha 1

One more bit of advice, and obvious really, so please don't be offended, is to make sure you do your research first and find out the average price of the watch you're after. Many sellers, particularly those who are not enthusiasts put unrealistic prices on their offerings...chancers, really. I once had a 'saved search' (where you get notified when an item you want gets listed) for a Seiko 7T32 yellow 'Daytona'. I waited for over a year before one came up, and then it was priced at 3 times its real value. Needless to say, I didn't bother bidding. It's easy to get suckered in if you don't have the correct value in mind.

If you do come across something you like, put in a 'max bid' and stick to it. Don't get involved in a bidding war. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Register with something like Justsnipe. It will automatically submit your bid a couple of seconds before the auction closes. Then bid as much as you would be willing to pay. Nobody has chance to bid more in reaction so you avoid a bidding war. Generally I also put in an early bid too if there are no bidders, to avoid the sale being pulled.