• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Thursday's watches ... 4th Feb

This arrived yesterday evening! ..... I blame it on lockdown, I had absolutely no intention of buying another watch but this updated version of the Pulsar military caught my eye and for some unknown reason, I just clicked 'Buy', well, we know how it is.

It's not even the original version, which thankfully made my mad moment inexpensive, but unfortunately it's probably set up a desire to get the original now, which I could have well done without.  :angry:  It's a good little watch though, bigger than the original at 42 mm and operates a bit strangely after the chronographs I'm used to. the running seconds is in the centre instead of in a sub-dial and the top dial, the tenth of a second register, goes around like a mad thing when the chronograph is operated !

Re-setting the chronograph is weird too, instead of snapping back to the resting position, the hands spin around and seem to just wander back to the start, all very disconcerting!  Still, seemingly good value with 100m water-resistance and the sort of build quality that you would expect from a company with Seiko in its heritage., though perhaps the mineral glass is a bit 'retro'.

Now I have to decide what I'm going to get rid of to keep the collection in balance and I suspect the Divex 500m may have to go, my days of even going for a paddle are diminishing, so that sort of technical overkill may be a bit much to warrant hanging on to. :) Anyway, I give you my new Pulsar Chronograph on an old strap I had knocking about. .....

50906052401_26afaf6e42_o.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Morning,

Today’s steel-cased Golana (by Heinz and Anna Goll) with a somewhat shabby dial and Taubert-style case back is mainly distinguished by its stylised “6” and “12”. It runs on a 17j ST (AS) 1686.

This original brand seems to have lasted from about 1956 until bankruptcy in 2002 although watch production reportedly ceased in the 1970s. Modern Golana-branded watches are available, these being the product of someone having resurrected the old name and with no connection to the vintage company.

Regards.

Golana v.3.jpg

Golana ST 1686 2019 v.3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, artistmike said:

This arrived yesterday evening! ..... I blame it on lockdown, I had absolutely no intention of buying another watch but this updated version of the Pulsar military caught my eye and for some unknown reason, I just clicked 'Buy', well, we know how it is.

It's not even the original version, which thankfully made my mad moment inexpensive, but unfortunately it's probably set up a desire to get the original now, which I could have well done without.  :angry:  It's a good little watch though, bigger than the original at 42 mm and operates a bit strangely after the chronographs I'm used to. the running seconds is in the centre instead of in a sub-dial and the top dial, the tenth of a second register, goes around like a mad thing when the chronograph is operated !

Re-setting the chronograph is weird too, instead of snapping back to the resting position, the hands spin around and seem to just wander back to the start, all very disconcerting!  Still, seemingly good value with 100m water-resistance and the sort of build quality that you would expect from a company with Seiko in its heritage., though perhaps the mineral glass is a bit 'retro'.

Now I have to decide what I'm going to get rid of to keep the collection in balance and I suspect the Divex 500m may have to go, my days of even going for a paddle are diminishing, so that sort of technical overkill may be a bit much to warrant hanging on to. :) Anyway, I give you my new Pulsar Chronograph on an old strap I had knocking about. .....

These are very smart looking watches 

I’ve been looking at these all lockdown!!

quite like the green one .. good choice :yes:

gfegOWh.jpg

p7xzm8N.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sulie said:

These are very smart looking watches 

I’ve been looking at these all lockdown!!

quite like the green one .. good choice :yes:

Well worth the money in my opinion, idiosyncratic with a decent water-resistance and from a good stable, so as a beater what more could you want and great fun to time your eggs to, with all the dials whirring away.  I've always felt my X-33 was a bit of overkill for that job. :biggrin: It's not too big at 42 mm as it's not tall, though the original might be slightly more handleable at 39 mm if one had small wrists and mine are a bit twee for someone of six foot. :)

• Thanks 1

Well, no daily WRUW thread is complete without at least one Mako/Ray so here we go. Going to look down the cellar today so might need a diver.

p?i=854439611b561e2e6ea6295efb2cf844

3 hours ago, artistmike said:

Just to join in the chorus of "I've been looking at those!".... I keep looking at these too. Actually preordered one of the "gen 1" reissues from Rubicon when they first got them in for father in law a few of Xmases ago as he always fancied one and while I was looking I picked up this:

p?i=7ef73f782eb7b75b6c0f6ec395e11d1c

Which they did themselves before they got the Pulsars. Obviously have a bit of a thing for them. Truer to the original size wise at 40mm but those triangular markers are not lumed which is a bit disappointing. Otherwise a nice little thing. I'm a bit hung up on the one you got as the smaller numeral gen 1 watches had the chrono setup like that with the centre running seconds and chrono all on subdials but apparently the gen 2 watches with the larger numerals they moved the chrono back to the centre hand with a running seconds subdial and a 2 hander at 6 I think to count minutes/hours. which means I can either buy the gen 1 style which is a more accurate reproduction (albeit bigger) but which is basically the one I've got already, or I can buy the gen 2 style like yours which is a less authentic setup..... so I haven't bought one yet:( Someday..

Edited by Perlative Cernometer
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Just to join in the chorus of "I've been looking at those!".... I keep looking at these too. Actually preordered one of the "gen 1" reissues from Rubicon when they first got them in for father in law a few of Xmases ago as he always fancied one and while I was looking I picked up this:

p?i=7ef73f782eb7b75b6c0f6ec395e11d1c

Which they did themselves before they got the Pulsars. Obviously have a bit of a thing for them. Truer to the original size wise at 40mm but those triangular markers are not lumed which is a bit disappointing. Otherwise a nice little thing. I'm a bit hung up on the one you got as the smaller numeral gen 1 watches had the chrono setup like that with the centre running seconds and chrono all on subdials but apparently the gen 2 watches with the larger numerals they moved the chrono back to the centre hand with a running seconds subdial and a 2 hander at 6 I think to count minutes/hours. which means I can either buy the gen 1 style which is a more accurate reproduction (albeit bigger) but which is basically the one I've got already, or I can buy the gen 2 style like yours which is a less authentic setup..... so I haven't bought one yet:( Someday..

That's another nice version !  ... I'm not sure why I bought this one, something about the layout seemed about right, I like military styled watches and pilot watches hence why I've ended up with quite a few, but I never went for the original military Pulsars back in the day and perhaps I should have, but this is scratching the itch for the moment but I can see me being on the hunt for the originals some time if I'm not very careful. :biggrin:

• Like 1