• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Anyone done a cafe racer project?

On 07/02/2021 at 12:49, lds1973 said:

I really love the cafe racer, bobber, brat bike and flat tracker type things being done lately. 

Anyone here done one. Would love to see pictures before during and after for inspiration. 

Done a good few proper cafe racers over the years, similar to these, where the emphasis was on performance and handling, rather than wine bar cruising with the latest trend in "clown shoes" tyres. You can buy new slimline Featherbed frames as well. 

triton-custom-motorcycle.jpg

vvcjj7724sx01.jpg

This has a modern Harley clone S&S motor in a Featherbed, and looks correct.

stileitaliano-harley-caferacer-9-e152843

This doesn't.

d84875b023b7b4c295a88379185e4d80.jpg

bc409f_5d74672f44094452b1a65f20050c857f.

These guys build decent stuff that look good and go round corners.

• Like 1

The current Royal Enfield Interceptor is a good base for modding, and they are relatively inexpensive, and easy to adapt. They handle very well and the motor is still flexible/tractable after tuning.

royal-enfield-scrambler-2.jpg

royal-enfield-interceptor-650-flat-track

tumblr_pokaf288a71vu8h6fo1_1280.jpg

Those are beautiful examples. TBH I was thinking of something a lot simpler and unfortunately while not quite that interested in performance or handling, I'm not exactly the wine bar type. 

Had loads of sports bikes but my last 2 have been a pan european and a tdm900, I've realised now I prefer comfort and a bike I can ride for a long time is the best type of bike for me. 

I'd like a simple cafe style, bobber for summer use only really. Probably a Gt550 with minimal work. 

I had to look up slimline featherbed frame. :laughing2dw::laugh:

4 minutes ago, lds1973 said:

I'd like a simple cafe style, bobber for summer use only really.

Next one I'm going to do will be a "budget challenge" 125 flat tracker. Or splash out and do something radical with a Honda Monkey.

maxresdefault.jpg

Plenty inspiration out there. :hmmm9uh:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Next one I'm going to do will be a "budget challenge" 125 flat tracker. Or splash out and do something radical with a Honda Monkey.

maxresdefault.jpg

Plenty inspiration out there. :hmmm9uh:

I'd be interested to see the 125 flat tracker when done. 

1 hour ago, lds1973 said:

I'd be interested to see the 125 flat tracker when done. 

Hopefully once Covid is controlled and things open up again I'll be on the lookout for a CG125 (Honda).

5 hours ago, WRENCH said:

rather than wine bar cruising with the latest trend in "clown shoes" tyres. 

The problem with it is some of them as well as the scooter boys these days and the Harley mob is that they just look like they are trying to hard. 

1366_2000.jpg

My mate has some sort of rare 60's Lambretta, worth a few quid but when he turns up on it in his full "mod" kit that back in the day mods probably never even wore he just looks daft and that's me being polite. 

It was the same in America, I went to a bike thing at Daytona Beach, wall to wall Harleys and Hells Angels or at first so it seemed but almost everyone I spoke to was a CEO, a VP, a lawyer or a banker. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

they just look like they are trying to hard. 

Yes. It used to be all about building your own for not much money. Something that was quick, light and handled well. The British bike industry was a mixture of good engines in not so good frames, and vice versa, so any budding cafe racers would pick what they thought we're the best and stick them together. Now, with the help of television, it's become another part of the fashion industry.

A few years ago this came up for sale,

8173807-2-1.JPG

Most folks wouldn't give it a second look or know what it is, but from my own point of view it is the epitome of the cafe racer. British made Rickman frame, and British made Godden long track grass track motor.

There's enough home brew stuff here to make purists apoplectic; :laughing2dw:

http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/featherbeds.html

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I know nothing about Bikes but those names of the different styles, like "cafe racer", are great uses of language. I also love the bikes shown here. Great thread. :thumbsup:

Here's a period pic of "Bobbers" mainly British bikes. 

c26ef91a.jpg

the guy casually pumping the petrol with a cigar going is actor (a youthful) Keenan Wynn.

18800-145.jpg

Another  one reinvented is the " Desert Sled"

large.MOdern-Triumph-Desert-Sled_kindlephoto-10933414.jpg.a28e0cd1c9b5235d264931c92746bea5.jpg

but the modern reinterpretation never look as good as the original.

dcec17165be70dc32ae9718c35b3bbe0.jpg

large.955_10.jpg.c7d0e13871e6db0eaec97166c80bf30a.jpg

• Like 1