• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Are high end quartz worth it?

11 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

The thing that puts me off the Longines VHP is the crown and protector. Just looks wrong. There's no pleasing some people.:tongue:

Well that's two of us then. :laughing2dw:

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Longines VHP is excellent. 5sec loss or gain a year. Can also set it to battery saving mode. Perpetual calender that also recognises leap years. 4-5 year battery life.

So this arrived today. 43mm with the black ceramic bezel  

A difference of 5 seconds a year then between the Seiko and the Longines.    And the winner coming in at £34.99.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

The thing that puts me off the Longines VHP is the crown and protector. Just looks wrong. There's no pleasing some people.:tongue:

I get this ..... but on the wrist there is a big difference between the two main sizes Longines offer for the conquest. On the smaller variants , the crown guard seem to blend in , on the larger ones it does not. A fairly obvious optical illusion perhaps ... !?

• Like 1

Well I couldn't resist getting a Longines VHP GMT model - L37184766.

Found one at Peplowjewellers for £772.5 in their sale - RRP is £1090? I would have preferred the 43mm, but I have had Longines 41mm sized watches before and they wear large on the wrist :)

personally i really dig high end quartz. 

If you look at the GS 9F, with an accuracy of 5 seconds per year, the movement finishing is amazing and is hand built by 2 watchmakers. When serviced its properly serviced and not just thrown away. 

Theres also something VERY satisfying seeing a quartz second hand, hitting the second markers every....single.....time. My engineering head really loves that. 

Take it to the Nth degree and include spring drive and its an absolute masterpiece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Boots said:

Something... Like... This...

large.508209310_GrandSeikoSecondHand.JPG.5d73c96f6e4ad519c31e6539eead0861.JPG

watch p0rn! incredibly satisfying in my engineering brain....especially the double step of the movement that self regulates the lash. 

the other thing i love about the GS 9F is the torque in it....because of the power this movement gives, you can increase the thickness of the hands....hence if you ever look at a GS the hands are thick, solid bits of metal

• Thanks 1