• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

If you get the call?

I think they have rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way.   The fanboys still exist but even many of those have been badly treated by dealers and have gone off them.

Rolex want to become exclusive like Patek and have alienated their audience.   At Patek prices who is going to buy them rather than Patek?

• Like 2

On 10/02/2021 at 18:47, Roy said:

I'm not trying to knock Rolex watches, the watches are great, I've had hundreds. It's the business practices that I don't like.
I feel they are praying on human nature where something becomes more valuable if you cant have it.

I just wonder how many of these new watches that they actually allow customers to buy are actually kept and worn for any amount of time before cashing in.

It does not seem to be about the watches anymore which to me I find very sad, they are just an object of value to some.

This is a tricky one - I agree with the sentiment, but even when it WAS about the watches, and Wilsdorf was having his small wristwatch movements certified as chronometers over a hundred years ago, his invention and marketing of the name Rolex, the interminable blurb on the dials, the product placement of his Oyster round the neck of a channel swimmer ninety odd years ago, the amount he spent on advertising - these were from day one a brand value exercise; and at the end of the day, the purpose of a business is to make profit, and ideas and dreams sell just as well as springs, wheels and metallurgy.  And the watches only have so much value because so many people agree on the value, in the same way as currencies are valued against each other internationally.  I had a friend years ago who wore one - he could have bought it but I think it was a sporting trophy - and he just said 'It's a badge.'  His even richer pal was far more proud of his own 10 dollar digital quartz world time watch.

And look at that ...

IMG_20210210_191309783(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.350b3011554748f6b3e8fd4a395eeb0d.jpg

Now to seek out a kinetic PAR107X1 diver.  It's the only watch harder to get hold of than a new Rolex steel sports watch.

• Like 3

It's sort of becoming a love/hate relationship with Rolex!.

I'm slowly falling out of love with the brand and really enjoying Tudor's more.

I am apparently on a waiting list for a particular model but if I ever get the call who's know will just have to wait & see but certainly not going to lose sleep over it.

I'm really hoping that some Rolex are going to pull the plug on the 'stave the masses' strategy & flood the market will boat loads of sport models in SS. That way the market will bottom out & it will be the greedy grey market dealers who become desperate!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Its interesting to note that at one point in time, pre search/Swatch days, Longines was considered a superior watch to Rolex.

Indeed they were, and an Omega Seamaster was more desirable than a Submariner. It displays that brands are not fixed in particular market segments. I was a bit surprised when the Swatch Group decided a few years ago to reposition the Longines brand below its Omega brand.

Would I buy a modern Rolex? Not sure to be honest although the new Sea-Dweller 126600 is impressive even with the cyclops.

alan-1-sea-dweller-126600-1024x1024.jpg

7.jpg

I also like the no-date Submariner 114060

W21W8196_5.JPG

They finally have the new Explorer right as well with the 39mm 214270 MkII dial

z137131.jpg

But that's about it for me and I am not sure I would buy any of them, possibly the Explorer

My two Rolex watches are from 1993 and 2006 and I do enjoy both of them so for now I will stick with these

large.1361862122_IMAG05932.jpg.5ab1598c1ce1b7bc719034ec45a8609a.jpglarge.DSC00202.JPG.96083811ceaba6cfd8bb19561adfbf19.JPG

• Like 2

The only Rolex I would buy , would be the no date Sub. But only at ticket price. And I would put it straight on a rubber strap.

But before that , I would buy the Great White , 300M from Omega , which is a better proposition I think.

Then I could not part with my 300M inky black dial from 2017 so which out of the three would get worn less , probably the Rolex.

So its hard to justify. Even if I did shed my self respect and bend over and exhale at the AD etc etc ....

Nice watches, I've had a couple of Exp 2s, and currently a 1978 DJ. I'd never buy such an expensive watch new, and can't abide the current insanity over the latest sports models, and the ridiculous knock on effect it has had on used prices. 

Ur2SUwP.jpg

I do have my eye on a 16622 Yacht-Master from the early to mid 2000s at some point, one model that is less secondhand than new... much ignored, as I like it, and good value (well, comparatively). 

l.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, krissy1301 said:

I love how the jist of this post is an assumption that EVERYONE is on a waiting list and EVERYONE is desperate for a Rolex. 

Some are of the belief that ownership makes you a better person, more confident, aloof and attractive. :laughing2dw:

Better start wearing mine, f I can remember where it is.

On 10/02/2021 at 18:47, Roy said:

I'm not trying to knock Rolex watches, the watches are great, I've had hundreds. It's the business practices that I don't like.
I feel they are praying on human nature where something becomes more valuable if you cant have it.

I just wonder how many of these new watches that they actually allow customers to buy are actually kept and worn for any amount of time before cashing in.

It does not seem to be about the watches anymore which to me I find very sad, they are just an object of value to some.

Rolexes have become Veblen goods - a positional proposition - a concept that dates back to Victorian times.  The more prices rise the more demand there seems to be as the network and bandwagon effects push the whole Rolex juggernaut forward.

I have absolutely nothing against the product itself, but the brand manipulation (not just by Rolex) makes it achingly undesirable and unaspirational to me personally.

On 10/02/2021 at 19:03, WRENCH said:

And of course Bargain Hunt, although I do believe Viz did aptly rename the second part of it.

Since only a minority ever make a profit on BH (even before you consider auction costs, which they never mention), the programme name has indeed replaced Berkshire Hunt (ie Berk) as Cockney rhyming slang for a ****.  So next time someone calls me an utter bargain I'll take his Submariner and shove it right up his porthole...or should that be Hublot?

:laugh::laugh:

15 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Its interesting to note that at one point in time, pre search/Swatch days, Longines was considered a superior watch to Rolex. Rolex could now almost be a commodity first, and a means of telling the time second.

Indeed, my father used to say how after WW2 Longines was widely considered to be THE best watch brand - for people with class, style and taste - and Rolex was a minor brand few people had heard of and was worn by bookmakers, which is sort of appropriate given that so many buyers are betting on the values continuing to rise forever.

:laughing2dw:

As per a lot of the usual urban myths going on in this thread. In the last year or so Big M's son in law bought two Rolex, a Sub for his Dad and a custom made job, he liked that dial but be liked that bracelet sort of thing. No problem Sir cash or card. 

Both bought from Ad's and delivered within a few weeks. 

Why all the hate

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I've worn my LV through thick and thin. Rolex are a quality product, I've worn various Rolex for the last 20 odd years, never had an issue, great customer service that I couldn't fault, on servicing the LV and I didn't want the bezel replaced, no problems not an issue. Companies and corporations would give their eye teeth to emulate their business model. 

As they say cream always comes to the top

mde.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

I think that's OK TBH.

The first iteration of the 214270 was a mess, shiny metal numbers and a short minute hand, the MkII is much much better with lumed numbers and slightly longer minute hand

I have just put myself on a list, I wonder when I will get the call :laugh:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Why all the hate

I think it's just different opinions - one man's meat and all that.  Nobody is saying they are not good watches, I think it is simply that people who are knowledgeable about watches, and probably have owned one or more Rolex amongst other brands, find the hype, well, hype.  My friend at work has a sea dweller that he does not wear, and he sees it as a stop gap insurance policy for his wife.  Another friend has a Tag Monaco in his laundry basket, so it happens with other brands too - that watches are bought for their value or associations, rather than because the buyer sees it, loves it, and wants to put it on his wrist and look at it all day and take pictures of it in between zoom meetings.  Now I know you do think your watch is the bees knees and love wearing it, which is great - I am not tarring all Rolex owners with the same brush, I am sure some people do buy them for their sturdiness, legacy styling, and many folk will even find them attractive - someone says "39mm Explorer with great lume", and even my ears prick up.   But given the plethora of quality watches - and a properly serviced watch of even modest quality will function for a long long time - and designs and materials available, it is inconceivable that Rolex are the acme of horological prowess to the degree that they command two or three times the value of similarly specced mass produced watches.  As you say, it is an enviable business model.  So I don't think it's that people hate them, and everybody will certainly give props to an enthusiast of the watches, it is the adoration of the label and its position as as an alpha Veblen 'good', I think, that causes bemusement.  And the assumption, that people who simply don't get the buzz of Rolex must be 'haters' , is what causes the amusement.  And then, you know, it would be churlish not to get a little rise :laughing2dw:

23 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I think it's just different opinions - one man's meat and all that.  Nobody is saying they are not good watches, I think it is simply that people who are knowledgeable about watches, and probably have owned one or more Rolex amongst other brands, find the hype, well, hype.  My friend at work has a sea dweller that he does not wear, and he sees it as a stop gap insurance policy for his wife.  Another friend has a Tag Monaco in his laundry basket, so it happens with other brands too - that watches are bought for their value or associations, rather than because the buyer sees it, loves it, and wants to put it on his wrist and look at it all day and take pictures of it in between zoom meetings.  Now I know you do think your watch is the bees knees and love wearing it, which is great - I am not tarring all Rolex owners with the same brush, I am sure some people do buy them for their sturdiness, legacy styling, and many folk will even find them attractive - someone says "39mm Explorer with great lume", and even my ears prick up.   But given the plethora of quality watches - and a properly serviced watch of even modest quality will function for a long long time - and designs and materials available, it is inconceivable that Rolex are the acme of horological prowess to the degree that they command two or three times the value of similarly specced mass produced watches.  As you say, it is an enviable business model.  So I don't think it's that people hate them, and everybody will certainly give props to an enthusiast of the watches, it is the adoration of the label and its position as as an alpha Veblen 'good', I think, that causes bemusement.  And the assumption, that people who simply don't get the buzz of Rolex must be 'haters' , is what causes the amusement.  And then, you know, it would be churlish not to get a little rise :laughing2dw:

The modern world is buying into capitalism and then Complaining about how much it costs 

As the Yanks say

Go figure 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw: