• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

If you get the call?

1 hour ago, BondandBigM said:

Rolex are a quality product, I've worn various Rolex for the last 20 odd years, never had an issue, great customer service that I couldn't fault, on servicing the LV and I didn't want the bezel replaced, no problems not an issue. Companies and corporations would give their eye teeth to emulate their business model. 

As they say cream always comes to the top

Isn't that just how it should be though?  Customer service should be spot on, anything less would be totally unacceptable, would it not?  My point being that none of that differentiates the brand from many others and doesn't account for the ludicrous grey market and used mark ups.

I don't hate the watches at all. In fact I'd rather like a Yachtmaster if I could afford one.

But it's hype because 'influencers' are hyping Rolexes, PPs, APs and all sorts of other things like cryptocurrencies and gaming retailers and silver and heaven knows what else turning them all into Veblen Goods.  There's a 5711 Nautilus on Watchfinder for sale for £90k....for a stainless steel Nautilus....WT actual F???

That Rolexes are quality products is not in doubt.  No-one is disputing it.  If you love them, great.  Enjoy them in good health (especially atm).  But if I had £23,500 to spend on anything, it would not be on a steel 2019 Daytona.  You can buy a hell of a lot of cream for that kind of money. :laughing2dw:

27 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

...it is inconceivable that Rolex are the acme of horological prowess to the degree that they command two or three times the value of similarly specced mass produced watches.  As you say, it is an enviable business model.  So I don't think it's that people hate them, and everybody will certainly give props to an enthusiast of the watches, it is the adoration of the label and its position as as an alpha Veblen 'good', I think, that causes bemusement.  And the assumption, that people who simply don't get the buzz of Rolex must be 'haters' , is what causes the amusement.  And then, you know, it would be churlish not to get a little rise :laughing2dw:

And Rolexes ARE mass produced...in the millions each year. :hmmm9uh:

Actually, thinking about it, Rolex has a really BAD business model.

If demand is so in excess of supply, as suggested by used prices and Rolex doing all it can to prevent flipping, Rolex should change/update all their references, fix a high production volume focussing on the most desirable models only (ie dump the Cellini) and double all the RRPs.  Waiting lists could then shorten to a manageable length so customers could visit an AD with the expectation that they can actually buy one.  ADs and Rolex itself would be absolutely coining in the profits like nothing ever seen and only those with very deepest pockets (or biggest loans from the bank) would be wearing a brand new ref Rolex.  That would make Rolexes an even more desirable status symbol, which is after all for most people (not us) what they are all about these days.  Demand and prices would then push up even further.  Now that would make a Rolex the Veblen Good to end all Veblen Goods! :naughty:

Imagine the margin on an SS Submariner with an RRP of £30,000 + VAT and people would still rush to buy one. :clap:

I'm going to write to Rolex and offer my services as a profit maximisation modelling consultant.  I'll take a percentage, rather than a fee. :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Rolex [ as new ] is now a brand for mugs or the rich. If you are rich they you don't give a to55, you just buy what you want. If you are a mug then you will pay £15,000 for a £8000 watch. People that bang on about how great new Rolex watches are value wise are only those who are either rich, are mugs, or bought one a few years back. They are just nice mass produced watches. Owning one is nothing more special than owning one of any other 100 brands. Its nothing above the ordinary. The pretenders who think otherwise are compensating ... ;-)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Isn't that just how it should be though?  Customer service should be spot on, anything less would be totally unacceptable, would it not?  My point being that none of that differentiates the brand from many others and doesn't account for the ludicrous grey market and used mark ups.

I don't hate the watches at all. In fact I'd rather like a Yachtmaster if I could afford one.

But it's hype because 'influencers' are hyping Rolexes, PPs, APs and all sorts of other things like cryptocurrencies and gaming retailers and silver and heaven knows what else turning them all into Veblen Goods.  There's a 5711 Nautilus on Watchfinder for sale for £90k....for a stainless steel Nautilus....WT actual F???

That Rolexes are quality products is not in doubt.  No-one is disputing it.  If you love them, great.  Enjoy them in good health (especially atm).  But if I had £23,500 to spend on anything, it would not be on a steel 2019 Daytona.  You can buy a hell of a lot of cream for that kind of money. :laughing2dw:

And Rolexes ARE mass produced...in the millions each year. :hmmm9uh:

Actually, thinking about it, Rolex has a really BAD business model.

If demand is so in excess of supply, as suggested by used prices and Rolex doing all it can to prevent flipping, Rolex should change/update all their references, fix a high production volume focussing on the most desirable models only (ie dump the Cellini) and double all the RRPs.  Waiting lists could then shorten to a manageable length so customers could visit an AD with the expectation that they can actually buy one.  ADs and Rolex itself would be absolutely coining in the profits like nothing ever seen and only those with very deepest pockets (or biggest loans from the bank) would be wearing a brand new ref Rolex.  That would make Rolexes an even more desirable status symbol, which is after all for most people (not us) what they are all about these days.  Demand and prices would then push up even further.  Now that would make a Rolex the Veblen Good to end all Veblen Goods! :naughty:

Imagine the margin on an SS Submariner with an RRP of £30,000 + VAT and people would still rush to buy one. :clap:

I'm going to write to Rolex and offer my services as a profit maximisation modelling consultant.  I'll take a percentage, rather than a fee. :laugh::laugh:

I did write to them once and the are just as good at deflecting as they are market manipulation lol. 

The customer service advisor became almost as robotic as the production line that mass produced all the Rolexes you can't have unless your in the AD's pocket...

It was still fun to give them some grief though.

BTW:

No call today :watch:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craftycockney said:

I did write to them once and the are just as good at deflecting as they are market manipulation lol. 

The customer service advisor became almost as robotic as the production line that mass produced all the Rolexes you can't have unless your in the AD's pocket...

It was still fun to give them some grief though.

BTW:

No call today :watch:

Did they use hold music?

No call today, my AD doesn't care
The smartphone stands forlorn, a symbol that I'm bored
No call today, they're such a common thing
But people can't buy one, whatever cash they bring

Don't they just know, what no message means?
The end of my hopes, the end of all my dreams
How can I gaze, where my new Sub should be?
Behind my door, should reign a new safe queen

(with apologies to Herman's Hermits)

:laugh::laugh:

• Haha 1

I like the watches, at retail price they represent their worth. If I could get a no date Sub or OP36 at RRP then I’d quite happily hand over my money.

what I won’t do is submit to the Brand BS and buy above RRP or play games by buying another watch to get one. 

Not only am I too tight fisted on the money front but playing silly games would ruin the whole experience for me.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 09:25, briboxer said:

What Rolex have you discussed with your AD and hopefully get the call?

I have discussed a Daytona several times but I doubt it will happen.

Should we expect a topic called " AD called, should I pull the trigger?" in couple of years ?

This Rolex nonsense is boring as hell.