• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Best small and white dial watches under $1000 for men?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a small mechanical men's watch (between 36-39mm) with a white dial, steel bracelet and a good, reliable, robust movement under $1000. Also, it doesn't need to be new. I am willing to a buy a pre-owned one, if the specifications of the watch are good enough. I already did a big research and found some interesting watches. Some examples are the:

• Seiko SARB035
  • Archimede OutDoor 39
  • Traska Commuter Glacier White

The thing with these watches, is just that all of them have good components, but there is always something that is missing. For instance the SARB035: I love the looks on this watch (perhaps a little too conservative, but it I could see me wearing it), but it has the Seiko movement 6r15, which, from I heard, is a reliable movement, but only ticks at 21.600 beats per hour, which I believe to be a real shame. When looking at the Archimede OutDoor 39, I think that it looks wonderful and that the materials are incredible, but the only aspect that kind of makes me wonder if it really is a good watch, is the movement. It houses a Sellita SW 200-1 movement, which is supposed to be a clone of the ETA 2824-2, but Archimede doesn't mention its grade. Lastly, I am also questioning me about the Traska Commuter’s movement, namely the Miyota 9019.

With that in mind, here are my questions for you:

• Which one of these 3 watches do you think that is the most reliable and robust one and something worth of the $1000? Take in mind that the price isn't a big factor here, as long as it doesn't exceed the $1000 price tag. I just need to know which one of them has better quality and durability.
  • Do you have any type of experiences with these brands and specific models?
  • Do you know the grade of the Sellita SW 200-1 movement that the Archimede OutDoor houses?
  • What other watches do you recommend to me, taking in mind the requirements that I stated earlier? Are there also any other watches with these requirements in the pre-owned market that deserve my attention?

Thank you very much for your time, stay safe.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

This can be purchased for around £900 (I did)...

RiqStEa.jpg

jrirK4x.jpg

NfuwS8D.jpg

39mm woc, ETA 2892-A2 (Top), 904L SS case.

Finish is superb, IMHO!

:thumbsup:

I'm sure I've passed comment on this before, it is, I agree, superb. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

This can be purchased for around £900 (I did)...

RiqStEa.jpg

jrirK4x.jpg

NfuwS8D.jpg

39mm woc, ETA 2892-A2 (Top), 904L SS case.

Finish is superb, IMHO!

:thumbsup:

Wow, thank you very much! It seems like an incredible option and it has a very great movement for sure! I will look more into it...

39 minutes ago, Roy said:

The dial on the SARB is cream and not white. This would be and is my choice. 

37C223A6-665E-425D-ACB5-C7A8374B1DB5.jpeg

Yes, you're right! But what do you think about the movement in comparison with other movements housed in $1000 watches?

1 hour ago, tex said:

Yes, you're right! But what do you think about the movement in comparison with other movements housed in $1000 watches?

Nothing wrong with Seiko movements if they can still tell the time accurately after 20+ years of this treatment without any maintenance whatsoever.

large.large.large.IMG_20161230_1226265_rewind.jpg.0d438a2fcb7678309470a5ba522f965f.jpg.8a0e00bdcba57090265b4f1aff20884e.jpg.1a31500f4d1183b2bbfadccbabb0e963.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tex said:

They will all tell the time accurately and be reliable.
To be honest I buy what I like the look of, the movement is secondary really at this price plus I like Seiko more than the other brands you have listed.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Why ?

Just because it doesn't look so good in my opinion. I think that it takes the wonderful, elegant sweep of the 28.800 beats per hour away.

1 hour ago, Roy said:

They will all tell the time accurately and be reliable.
To be honest I buy what I like the look of, the movement is secondary really at this price plus I like Seiko more than the other brands you have listed.

Do you think? So you don't care if a watch houses a SEIKO 6r15 and another one a ETA 2892-A2?

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Nothing wrong with Seiko movements if they can still tell the time accurately after 20+ years of this treatment without any maintenance whatsoever.

large.large.large.IMG_20161230_1226265_rewind.jpg.0d438a2fcb7678309470a5ba522f965f.jpg.8a0e00bdcba57090265b4f1aff20884e.jpg.1a31500f4d1183b2bbfadccbabb0e963.jpg

Wow, that's remarkable!

9 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I'll go along with that. This (25 years old) appears to tick all of the boxes and cost me considerably less than the $1000 limit...:whistle:

t1xhQfx.jpg

7s36-5000 'Superior'

• Like 1
13 hours ago, tex said:

Just because it doesn't look so good in my opinion. I think that it takes the wonderful, elegant sweep of the 28.800 beats per hour away.

28000 is pedestrian. I raise you a lord marvel at 36000vph.

Lord Marvel

White or silver faces, gold or stainless cases, Arabic or batons. Very much under budget, including a service.

Or a Lordmatic if you prefer to be square

Seiko Lord Matic

Why get cut up about an upper limit, $1000 is plenty to buy a small collection of watches that fit your high level requirement at this point

Side note: I have a Traska with the 9039 and there are no issues whatsoever

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Like 1