• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Love this Longines trick

Damian

32 minutes ago, thewhiz said:

Do they give an estimate of how much this feature extends battery life by? Great for people for have a large collection and may go a week or 2 without wearing a certain piece

Unfortunately no they don't

• Like 1

I have a Seiko Auto Relay that does something similar.

The watch detects that is not being worn (rotor not being moved) it stops moving the hands after about 72 hours, but carries on recording the time.

It can be unworn for upto 4 years and the hands move to the correct time once it is 'woken' up with a little shake.

Quartz watches get loads of bad press, but some movements go above and beyond just telling the time...like your Longines.

• Like 3

If, on returning the crown, the hands move all the way round to their correct positions, does it actually save any electrons? Or, if the watch has been in "park" mode for two or three days (or longer), does the date find its way to the right place without lots of hand-spinning?

2 minutes ago, Wowbagger said:

If, on returning the crown, the hands move all the way round to their correct positions, does it actually save any electrons? Or, if the watch has been in "park" mode for two or three days (or longer), does the date find its way to the right place without lots of hand-spinning?

Not sure about the electrons, but the date does set itself correctly, including a leap year. perpetual calendar to the year 2300, which seems a bit pointless.

• Like 1

Just now, Damian said:

Not sure about the electrons, but the date does set itself correctly, including a leap year. perpetual calendar to the year 2300, which seems a bit pointless.

That sounds as though it does. It's the physical work of moving lumps of metal (or whatever the hands are made of) about which uses up the battery most quickly. Just keeping track of the time on a miniature computer doesn't use a great deal.

Nice feature!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kanab22 said:

I'm sure I read that it also allows you to move the hour hand on it's own. Handy for holidays or DST which always annoys me.

Yes it does. Turn the crown quickly either way and it will jump forward or backward one hour each time. Very handy

6 hours ago, sabailand said:

Nobodies mentioned it yet but....do you only work four hours a day :tongue: (unless the current covid issues have determined otherwise).

Lol. No. When you pull the crown out, after one minute all the hands set to 12.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoT said:

I have been thinking about getting the GMT version for when I start travelling again, but it doesn't look as smart as your with the black ceramic bezel

I went for the black ceramic bezel as its less likely to scratch up over time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krissy1301 said:

When you put this watch on last week as a new arrival, I really liked it.

Now I've seen it a few times and seen this post, I really, really like it (and not just for this feature). It's a stunning watch and looks very well made. I'm glad you're happy with it!

Thanks. Its also very comfy on my 7" wrists. It aslo has another trick up its sleeve. If the watch senses magnetism or is shocked by a hit or drop, it goes into safe mode. It sets all hands to 12 and waits for danger to pass, then once its ok it will return to correct time.

My onlt small complaint is, i wish it was a little more waterproof.