• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

This is an early date window watch, with the AS movement date wheel centred between the window and '2', similar to the Marley's date watch (which is heralded as the first date-window watch).  Unlike the Marley patent - and presumably because of the patent - the date wheel is not oversized to enable larger figures to be painted on it, and does not protrude beyond the dimensions of the movement plates.

IMG_20210214_073205799(1).thumb.jpg.548b09cac6f0c450bfef3463f5dce730.jpg

The date is therefore really small, the benefit being that, since there is no quick set, one does not have to waste time correcting it, because it is impossible to see if it is right or wrong in the first place (if your eyes are of a certain age!).

HAGD

• Like 13

ServiceS Navigator, Jewelled, MADE IN GT.BRITAIN,circa 1950s/60s

Services-600.gif.c8c4197e34f460354ba2b3fb1c2f9caf.gif

&

Урал ЧН-201К, ЧЧэ 16 камнях, СДЕЛАНО В СССР(Челябинский часовой завод, около 1957-1964)

(Ural CHN-201K, Chche 16 jewels, Made in USSR [ by the Chelyabinsk Watch Factory, circa 1957-1964])

Ural-31_05.thumb.gif.ff83dfa1092998bf6c45c4eca0b6274e.gif

:biggrin:

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Balaton1109 said:

Caravelle Transistorised 12OTC v.3.jpg

It seems a bit weird to see a regulator in there - was the battery supplying the impulse to maintain the oscillation and drive the movement - a kind of electrical crown wheel - rather than supplying energy to a quartz regulated motor system?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

It seems a bit weird to see a regulator in there - was the battery supplying the impulse to maintain the oscillation and drive the movement - a kind of electrical crown wheel - rather than supplying energy to a quartz regulated motor system?

I’m grateful that your post has caused me to look again at the Bulova 12OTC movement in today’s effort. 

Ranfft equates it to the Citizen 0880 which, not knowing anything to the contrary, I’ve always taken at face value. However, it seems from this thread from 2013 that Pieter Doensen has the 12OTC being the same as a Citizen 0811 (unfortunately not represented in Ranfft): https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/80316-citizen-xz8-cosmotrons/  and far be it for me to say which of these august authorities is  -  gulp  -  incorrect.

As to your query, this page from our own Silver Hawk’s resource will certainly provide a more eloquent answer than I could ever muster: https://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/transistorised/

Regards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1