• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Guy David Watches........... Anyone heard of them?

A few years ago my mother was asking for ideas for a ruby wedding present for my father and I suggested maybe getting him a Swiss watch (Ruby content). Anyhoo...... he passed away last month and my mother asked if I would like his 'expensive' watch, obviously I said yes and I collected it last week. The brand is Guy David and apparently it was purchased whilst they were traveling through Amsterdam, I've never heard of them before but it is quite a nice looking watch, after googling them I can see they are very inexpensive (it obviously holds sentimental value to me), just wondered if any other members have one or have heard of the brand.

Apologies for not providing a photo, maybe I'll upload one tonight?

Dear @Damo8604, the story of Dutch jewellers, Gassan, founded in 1945, is actually quite interesting and an account of the company history is given online at: diamonds.pro/reviews/gassan

The review of Gassan which follows on from the story of the firm on the above link, is rather negative and stresses the firm's apparent "Poor Quality, Sky-high Prices" when it comes to its main area of sales - diamonds and gem-set jewellery

The bricks & mortar presence of Gassan Diamonds BV is a jewellery store in Amsterdam which offers tours of the premises as well as sales of diamonds, jewellery and watches; the firm also sells online from its web store. As far as watches are concerned, the company sells new pieces from a number of famous companies including Rolex, IWC, Omega, Breitling and Tudor, as well as pre-owned watches. What is rather strange is that their own-brand watches, sold under the brand name of Guy David, are very different, being essentially inexpensive Chinese-made mechanical pieces powered by Seagull or Miyota movements. I have not compared prices or specifications of these Guy David watches with similar products from other companies, but it seems that they are generally deemed to be acceptable products for their market position.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoT said:

Sadly they are not Swiss, they are Chinese made and not dissimilar to the many other Chinese made watches made by private label manufacturers. 

Yeah, I realised they weren't Swiss, when I suggested a Swiss watch I was thinking along the lines of a Steinhart or Tissot, when I was offered my dad's 'expensive watch' I was a little surprised as it was a brand I hadn't ever come across, I didn't have the heart to tell my mum and besides... as it belonged to my father, it's priceless to me!

36 minutes ago, Damo8604 said:

Yeah, I realised they weren't Swiss, when I suggested a Swiss watch I was thinking along the lines of a Steinhart or Tissot, when I was offered my dad's 'expensive watch' I was a little surprised as it was a brand I hadn't ever come across, I didn't have the heart to tell my mum and besides... as it belonged to my father, it's priceless to me!

Yes, where its made and price are irrelevant when it comes to such matters, the value is in its personal meaning

• Like 2