• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How to Modify/Remove the Rim of Rubber Eye-cups on my Binoculars

I have a pair of Praktica Falcon 7X50 binoculars which I am wanting to use for birding. I wear glasses most of the time and therefore the rubber eye-cups need to be folded down in order for my eyes to be sufficiently close to the eyepiece lenses, and that is where the problem lies. The rims of the rubber eye-cups refuse to stay folded down and just instantly spring back to the normal position even though the blurb about these binoculars (and the picture below) indicates that the eye-cups are of the folding variety.

I have contacted Praktica to see what they say about this problem, but I reckon that, on examining the construction of the eye-pieces, I will have to do a DIY job on the rubber eye-cups, either removing the rims altogether or scoring around the rim at the fold-point so that the rims remain folded down when I use the binoculars. I would be most grateful if any experienced Forum members who do this sort of fiddly job could advise me on the best approach to either getting the rims to fold down or, if necessary, removing the rubber eye-cup rims altogether such that the best practical and cosmetic result is obtained.:)

Notice in the picture here below that the 7X50 Falcons shown have one eyepiece with the rubber rim folded down, as I want it. The question is, how can I get the rims on my binoculars to stay folded down (pic from maxking.com):

pra080_dt_ls_1.jpg

If the cups are removable I would try heating the fold with a hot air gun or hair drier to see if the expansion of the rubber will be enough for it to stay folded when it cools. I say remove the cups so I wouldn't damage the optics.

If going to score the cups, then maybe tying strong-ish thread around then rotating [?grabbing the knot] and working it around to score the rubber???

Edited by nursegladys
  • Thanks 1