• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

18 carat gold on watches .... good or bad !?

Just seen a stunning Tissot Gentleman with an 18K gold bezel and gold hands and batons.

The bezel would be less knock proof than steel I would think but is there any tarnishing issues with low alloy golds ? Are they less likely to stay pristine behind the crystal and could slack servicing lead to erosion quicker than steel and acrylic coated appliqués etc etc 

Thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen ?

[ See what I did there ] 

17 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen ?

[ See what I did there ] 

Can’t see how my experiences would benefit, you, as always, will invariably light fires, & enrage for your own amusement.

I’m out!

Based on my own wearing habits, and risk assessing, a gold watch doesn't/wouldn't get worn in environments where there is a great likelihood of sustaining damage. So I personally wouldn't worry too much if it were mine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoT said:

I think they use rose gold which even as 18k is quite durable, due to the fact it contains around 22% copper, I wouldn't be too worried about it

thx ... just read up on the spec and they mention "rose gold" for under the crystal , but not for the bezel ,,, so it looks like spec-for-use possibly. I have learnt something today !!

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Based on my own wearing habits, and risk assessing, a gold watch doesn't/wouldn't get worn in environments where there is a great likelihood of sustaining damage. So I personally wouldn't worry too much if it were mine.

Yep , never thought of it that way but of course it make sense ....  :thumbsup:

I only have one 18k gold watch and the gold has held up pretty well (unlike the crystal, which got raked), but no waterproof rating at all, and even a cheap steel watch (not Seiko divers by all accounts) can need the back seal seats prepping to pass a pressure test, so the bezel / glass boundary may suffer similarly.  To put that in context, I used to manufacture gloveboxes with inflatable seals, and even a hair across the inflatable seal face would make it fail a test.

I mean, if it's 18k, don't swim or go rock climbing in it, k?  Just wear it for a day at the races, then you can always entrust it to your bookie as surety for that final flutter.

14 yrs old in June

rotary2.thumb.jpg.3a82f4cb73adb4d56ba53326588fd886.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This 18ct gold cased Garrard PW of my Grandfather's has been around since 1845 (It was already over 100 years old when he received it for 25 years service in 1954) and is in pretty good nick. Admittedly, it doesn't get worn much these days, but still good for 176 years old! Even the Fibonacci sequence engine turning on the back is only slightly worn around the edges.

Is your Tissot solid or plated, as this could make a difference as to how it wears.

PW Garrard. (1845)

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
30 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

This 18ct gold cased Garrard PW of my Grandfather's has been around since 1845 (It was already over 100 years old when he received it for 25 years service in 1954) and is in pretty good nick. Admittedly, it doesn't get worn much these days, but still good for 176 years old! Even the Fibonacci sequence engine turning on the back is only slightly worn around the edges.

That really is a thing of beauty Roger !

• Thanks 1

I bought this in 2007, apart from driving forklifts and falling down holes I wore it doing all sorts, work, fixing cars, many nights on the town, Big M wore it for a couple of years, it survived around the world, jungles of Malaysia, deserts of the Middle East sorts of thing and even Saturday night out in Shagaluff. It had a hard life. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

When I sold it about a year or so ago the face and hands were perfect and the rest of the watch was still pretty good as well so I wouldn't be worried. 

IMG-3196.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Is your Tissot solid or plated, as this could make a difference as to how it wears.

The Bezel is solid , and has the hallmark on it ... the rest of the watch case and bracelet is 316L SS ... 

1 hour ago, AVO said:

I'm not a fan of bi-metal - I do like gold, but preferably small, discreet and vintage. This 18K Longines from 1967 is still in good nick...

7681FF3E-432D-4CCB-BC12-93358B4C154A.thumb.jpeg.d01d3af2db02acaa433d7c93f18f62ad.jpeg

Are the hands and batons the same formulation as the case would you know ?

1 hour ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Are the hands and batons the same formulation as the case would you know ?

Sorry, I really don't know. I just know the case is 18K gold.