• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cheap Automatic

aesmith

Invicta are a good entry level, all Seiko inside and you can still bag a good one for 50 quid. 

Rotary maybe? The Skeleton models are all around 40mm I expect but they do some smaller autos (38mm my last one). 

Keep us posted. I'm always nervous with cheaper automatics. I took a punt on a stuhrling off a shopping channel and it was a terrible thing, unreliable and in the end the rotor just jammed up and wouldn't move. POS. 

Glad you got it regulated so well. It is a testament to the cheaper movements, but ultimately I guess they will be considered disposable movements.

I found that it appeared to wear large, however something 40mm with a bezel seems to feel and look smaller. 

Cheers. I've read that the Starkings are a bit of a gamble new.  One person reckoned a 50% dead on arrival rate.  One said avoid the white faced model (guess what colour mine is).  Another guy said he's opened a few non-runners and fixed them basically by removing debris and/or moving the action by hand to free it up.  And it seems that if not dead on arrival they tend to keep going.  To me that's a good reason by buying nearly new, rather than new off Ali Express.  Of course I don't know what the real life is likely to be.  If (when) it dies of old age then I might try replacing the movement myself.

Regarding the size it might be the length that makes the biggest difference.  Irrespective the size hasn't stopped me wearing it every day since I got it, I just would be unlikely to buy anything else that big.

• Like 1

Oh look...

Lots of recommendations for this make or that make of watch that can give you accuracy enough that will stop you worrying about accuracy. 

Thats the thing though.. 

Perhaps by reaching into mechanical watches and asking the questions, you don't need accuracy. Maybe your looking for mechanical "personality"

See.. let me explain by giving you some examples..

My Ricoh, there's something wrong with its auto winder that slips and can't gain enough 'reserve' from its auto winding so it has to be manual wound.. it needs a bit of attention but, hey, don't we all.

My Kander.. oh that little thing, red dial and a teeny bit mal treated.. It needs a bit of careful hand winding at the start of the day, I think it might go "ping!" If I wind it too much.  So I give it a bit of respect and it gives me the time.. I never miss my train. Winner winner.. watch relationship :)

There's me.. wearing my modified henley (yes henley) that pulls the eyes of women in the pub.. fair enough.. its a watch and it tells the time 

Don't get me wrong.. I have a few watches of all different makes. They all have 'meaning'.. this one was from there, that one was given, I got this the day that, this one was worn by...

Now when I want to feal good, I wear my 1975 seiko 5. Its my birthday tick tock.

Best watch for £100.. ?? £200.. £1000.. £50,000

Thats your question to answer..

I have a watch worth £1 and its my pride. 

Ramble ramble ramble.. 

OK. You get the point. My friend once said.. "you don't buy a dog, your dog finds you because it needs a master.. God provides the opportunity" 

Don't listen to anyone else about choice, take your time and the watch will find you.

On 04/04/2021 at 00:06, JayDeep said:

It's the 36mm thing that makes this so difficult. I cannot think of a single men's watch that small.

There are some but I've not found any in what I consider my current price range.  One discontinues model I've been keeping 1/2 an eye out for is Tissot PR50.  I have the quartz/titanium version but they made an automatic, I think with 2824 movement.  However Longines, Tudor etc are not the price range I'm considering at the moment.

2 hours ago, james brodie said:

Invicta have cracking reliable movement and look the business. Get yourself the Rolex Submariner homage for around 65 quid at Creation with the discount voucher

They look amazing value, but 42mm diameter and 13.5mm thick is bigger than I want to wear. 

@aesmith have you looked at Orient Three Star on Amazon ?

Prices start around £70 inc post. Steeldive also do a 39mm bronze Pilot style watch @ £119 with a Seiko Movement. 

I have a couple of the cheap Orients, and they're excellent value.

I had a poke around the bay of e for 36mm Autos & found a new Alpha Explorer (Miyota movement) and several used Citizen autos - You will get better value on a used watch provided you buy from a reputable source (ime)

10 hours ago, aesmith said:

There are some but I've not found any in what I consider my current price range.  One discontinues model I've been keeping 1/2 an eye out for is Tissot PR50.  I have the quartz/titanium version but they made an automatic, I think with 2824 movement.  However Longines, Tudor etc are not the price range I'm considering at the moment.

They look amazing value, but 42mm diameter and 13.5mm thick is bigger than I want to wear. 

In flesh they're smaller than you might think mate, but then so is the Rolex submariner imho