• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi, i need to replace my existing watchwinder which i've had for approx 3 years.  It was a Jura winder which is similar design to the Barrington single box style winders. 

Plastic fitting to motor broke last year so i glued it, now the motor axle has been pulled down due to weight of the watch. could get cheap motor replacement, but i need to get a second for another watch so thought id treat myself to 2 new ones - prefer 2 x singles rather than 1 x duel as if one breaks in the future cheaper to replace one single rather than one duel.

Heaviest watch is 2004 Omega Seamaster Professional Chrono 300m which weighs c.210g. Other 2 watches are Tissot PRC200 and Tag Link Calibre 16 both of which weigh a bit less. I usually wear one all the time so rotate others in the winders when not worn.

Any suggestions for a decent winder which could take that weight? 

Budget c.£150 a piece preferred, could stretch to £200 if i like the design. 

Has anyone got any views on Roogs? Appear to be NL based and i cannot find any reviews.

Thanks in advance.

ps - forgot to mention. 

Winders will be kept in a large sealed dust free safe which has electrical feed so not too concerned about cover or asthetics as long as it does the job and likely to last. Cheers.

would be handy to be able to daisy chain them for power which i think my existing Jura and the Barringtons ones can do.

On 20/02/2021 at 20:27, nursegladys said:

make one, I did, and had fun doing it :thumbs_up:

wZAE2sdl.mp4

good job! i think have hundreds of obsolete cd cases so could set up a business doing it.

Have just picked up a couple of Barrington single winders, so will see what they are like. 

On 23/02/2021 at 13:25, Stut4 said:

good job! i think have hundreds of obsolete cd cases so could set up a business doing it.

Have just picked up a couple of Barrington single winders, so will see what they are like. 

if you google home made winder, it should give you  one where the OP gives links to kit you need, wiring diagram, and the code for the Arduino board, it does 15 clockwise, 15 anti-clockwise, then rests an hour. All the timings can be adjusted.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies. Might set my son a project of doing a DIY one for my next watch as i know he has some of that ardino stuff.

Quick question...My watches need 800 turns a day. The Barrington winder i have picked up has settings either side of 800 as 750 & 850. Would you tend to go for the 750 or 850 for a 800 TPD watch? I've got the clockwise/counter clockwise sorted for each watch. 

cheers

36 minutes ago, Stut4 said:

thanks for the replies. Might set my son a project of doing a DIY one for my next watch as i know he has some of that ardino stuff.

Quick question...My watches need 800 turns a day. The Barrington winder i have picked up has settings either side of 800 as 750 & 850. Would you tend to go for the 750 or 850 for a 800 TPD watch? I've got the clockwise/counter clockwise sorted for each watch. 

cheers

TBH I wouldn't know, I have a small collection and rotate the wear of them, the winder is only there to maintain them "ticking over" for a few hours during the day when I'm wearing the other. Your question is probably more appropriate for Roy, although I'm sure many other members could answer you, they are very knowledgeable.