• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

This topic has been discussed before, but I've noticed it seems to be a bigger and bigger issue for me.

I try to like them. I really do. I really, really do. I see their merits, the history, the quality.  I've even forced myself to buy some of them to prove myself wrong.  I don't dislike them (let alone hate them), but there are some brands that leave me totally cold.

Yup, may as well say Smeghead on the dial.  And I really cannot explain why.

What's more, it's getting worse.  I'll look at some nice new release one evening and think "Mmm...nice"

th?id=OIP.22YKfTAlJa59C_wR031TagHaHa%26p

By the morning, the watch has turned into...meh. :tumbleweed:

And it always seems to be certain brands, to give four examples;

• Longines
  • Omega
  • Rolex
  • Seiko

Yes, yes, I know, sharp intake of breath, :swoon: but, nope, they just don't interest me at all.

Does anyone else feel this? I'm really puzzled by it. :hmmm9uh:

• Like 4
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course, it could be your age Roger.

This topic has been discussed before, but I've noticed it seems to be a bigger and bigger issue for me. I try to like them. I really do. I really, really do. I see their merits, the history, the

I'm with you as regards Rolex. I've seen & worn a few (I've never owned one though) & wasn't that impressed. I'm getting less excited by Seiko's offerings these days despite it being the brand

I'm with you as regards Rolex. I've seen & worn a few (I've never owned one though) & wasn't that impressed. I'm getting less excited by Seiko's offerings these days despite it being the brand that started me off down the watch collecting path. I'm not familiar enough with Longines to form an opinion but of the luxury brands I do, generally, seem to like Omega's. If I was in the market for a luxury watch then that's probably be where I'd look. 

However the absolute best quality watch I've ever seen, & briefly worn, was owned by a now sadly deceased watch mad friend of mine. This was a Jaeger Le Coultre of some sort. I think it was a Master Geographic but it was, without a shadow of a doubt, an utterly gorgeous thing & quite beautiful. I doubt I'll ever be in the market for one. 

Unless they're a complete bargain, something I've not owned before - see recent Steeldive Sumo - & different/unusual enough to appeal to me then I probably won't be interested :(

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 3

I have to agree that there's very little excites me these days from any of the 'standard manufacturers.

What got me into Seiko originally were their automatic chronographs, the good old 6138s and 6139s, and I was rather pleased to see that they have bought out a rather nice new one in the form of the Seiko Prospex Mechanical Chronograph with the 8R48 calibre 34 jewel movement, limited to 1000 pieces. That one I do keep looking at and drooling a bit. It may just be that we tend to see the same old offerings on here and some models from the manufacturers pass the forum by.

This is the one I mean :-

srq029.jpg
and this one is nice too srq023j1.jpg

Unfortunately prices for the nice Seiko automatic chronographs are up there a bit, mind you the original automatic chronographs weren't cheap in their day either I remember. I do think that I might be tempted though. Mind you when you see the price of their Grand Seiko Ceramic Spring Drive Chronograph GMT at £13,500,00, it's not surprising that there aren't too many floating about here. :biggrin:

sbgc221g.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

Sort of.

I don't avoid brands as a group, but there are some brands that have repeating features that just don't do it for me.

These brands include Rolex, Ball, Doxa, Alpina, Glycine, CW ,,, but there are many others.

Just to be clear , I don't dislike the brands, in fact I really like looking at some of their offerings and appreciated value, build and styles , but they just seem to have repeating aesthetics that just make them no-gos on my wrist.

• Like 1

I agree. Like the other comments, Seiko started it for me, but there's just nothing 'exciting' out there anymore...even from Seiko. Probably why most of my watches that I have kept are older models and the reason I've completely lost interest in watches these days.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I agree. Like the other comments, Seiko started it for me, but there's just nothing 'exciting' out there anymore...even from Seiko. Probably why most of my watches that I have kept are older models and the reason I've completely lost interest in watches these days.

Of course, it could be your age Roger. :biggrin:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I started with Timex (50 years ago), then Casio, then Seiko.  I knew I should like Seikos, but they never really did it for me and nowadays it really is "whatever" as far as their current offerings are concerned.

I actually worry that I will completely lose interest :huh:

42 minutes ago, artistmike said:

Of course, it could be your age Roger. :biggrin:

You might be on to something insofar as your tastes change with age.

I find I'm much more interested in the more unusual and offbeat designs these days, which tends to lead away from mainstream brands.  That might have something to do with it.

Edited by RTM Boy
  • Like 2

I understand where you’re coming from. For me to love a brand it has to have a mix of quality, value for money, technology, interesting case shape/ dial, wrist fit and brand recognition. If one of these things doesn’t exist i can’t click with a piece no matter how good it is.

take grand Seiko for instance. Utterly beautiful pieces but they amaze me and leave me cold at the same time. Same goes for the Tudor Black Bay 58...most think it’s astonishing, I just find it a little boring. 

Edited by WickerBill
  • Like 3

Another issue I see is that the "trend" in watches is to keep re-inventing the past. There are just too many "heritage" watches out there now that pretty much have the same vibe.

Take Omega for instance, they delete their entry Speedy range [ the "date/racing" lineage ] , don't replace it apart from a weird collection for the trans community , and then release yet more moon watches !? 

The last time I was in the real world shopping for watches was early September in Glasgow and I just did not see anything that inspired me. And that's a lot of watches in one cover mall  to not find inspiration.

This notion first dawned on me 18 months ago when my lad and I were in the huge watch retailer in the Moanalua Centre, Honolulu ,,,, dozens of brands , over a thousand watches and nothing "took our fancy" . That was the first time I felt a bit watch-dejected . 

• Like 1

There are a few brands that pass me by - Lange, Moser, Rolex, Ball, Hamilton, Baume & Mercier, Tissot, Rado (bar Captain Cook), Nomos and various others (edit to include Tudor, reminded by above post). Until recently, I would have added Bell & Ross, but I am warming to them now, especially the newer round case models. On the other hand, Chronoswiss was a brand I loved the look of, but now I get to regularly see them over here, I've cooled on the brand. 

But being honest, with most brands including Seiko, Longines, Mido and others, it's only the sports and tool watches I have an interest in. 

Even Grand Seiko, despite all their brilliance blah, blah, blah, are deadly dull to look at, unless the dial is special. I must have walked past about 30 in a display earlier today, all lined up one next to thr other and they all look the same. So it was the two Credors that caught my eye! 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 3

For me (and I guess the majority of people), I doubt there is one brand to which a person will love all of their watches. If a brand has say 10 watches I like, then they are doing well; if they have 3 I would want to buy then they are doing very well. And not being a fanboy of just one brand allows me the freedom to consider any watch from any brand and give it an unbiased look.

My enthusiasm with watches comes and goes. I will always love them but I have other interests that also come in and go out favour. By dipping out of an interest for a period allows new products to come out and for my long term interest to be maintained. And I guess that during the downtime, I just appreciate the watches I have without the feeling for a new one. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RTM Boy said:
  • Longines
  • Omega
  • Rolex
  • Seiko

Out of the 4 Seiko first, then Longines both still interest me. In the days when I could walk past Omega, and Rolex AD's I didn't even bother looking.

• Like 1

Maybe this is partly due to the watch mania of recent years which seems to have led to the massive price increases (Rolex sport models, Patek Nautilus, and Audemars Royal Oak in particular)?

For me personally I find this hobby/interest of ours is significantly less niche than it used to be. Now I find so many more people have a watch interest (maybe only with regards to getting hold of a Rolex Sub but still...) and a lot more have heard of various brands I found they previously wouldn't have- JLC, Lange etc.

I know this will be largely down to the Instagram influence but there is a much wider audience now.

Perhaps some manufacturers are sticking to the tried and tested because they are no longer catering for just the enthusiasts and so things have become a little less interesting? 

When they do go for the enthusiasts, it seems the price is high also, I'm thinking models like the Seiko 62MAS re-edition (SLA017) and the likes so that can become prohibitive too.

But then again, what do I know?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

I can’t get past CW or Grand Seiko.

Yes, I can add those two to my list of 4 for starters. Totally uninteresting to me.

I can see the quality of finishing on GS dials though the macro photography of Watchfinder videos, but at normal viewing distances they are just another round-cased job with polished case, silver dial, polished batons, polished hands, and a date window, like any number of other......... :Snore:

And yet I should like GS for all the attention to detail, right? :hmmm9uh: But somehow I just don't care.

As for CW - the very embodiment of an uninteresting brand name with too many syllables in it.  May as well put 'Fred Flange' on the dial for all the appeal it has to me.  I'm sorry, it has to be said.

To be more positive by illustration I'll offer a couple of examples of watches that DO keep my interest;

The U50 being 41mm diameter and just 11mm thick despite being 500m rated, simple, easy to read and not trying to be a Submariner.

xU50_V.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UXvi9v66QZ.webp

And Zodiac makes the effort to be interesting...

zdc-023-zodiac-watch-super-sea-wolf-zo94

• Like 2

Going off the list above...

I love the looks, and history of Omega, but every time I have gone to buy one I have walked out of the AD's without one as I have been unimpressed.

I like Rolex, mainly/only because if you buy wisely money can be made. Other than that they are a well made watch that is overpriced.

Longines, I quite like their Heritage range, but I think they are overpriced also.

Seiko...where it all started for me (as far as collecting goes) I own lots, and lots of Seiko's, but at the moment they leave me a little 'cold'

I would like to add Breitling to the list, I have never seen any watch that they have produced that has given me the 'fizz'

Great thread @RTM Boy even though some members will not agree with the brands listed through the thread, I guess we can't all like the same things.

• Thanks 1

Not so much brands but certain styles of watch for me, example include...

The big cluttered breitlings

Rolex subs

All G shocks (and all digi except the vintage LEDs)

Skeleton watches

Most chronos (especially cluttered dials)

Anything with a cyclops

Anything jewel encrusted

Too much colour 

Gold watches

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Not so much brands but certain styles of watch for me, example include...

The big cluttered breitlings

Rolex subs

All G shocks (and all digi except the vintage LEDs)

Skeleton watches

Most chronos (especially cluttered dials)

Anything with a cyclops

Anything jewel encrusted

Too much colour 

Gold watches

That's pretty much my whole collection right there :teethsmile:

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

That's pretty much my whole collection right there :teethsmile:

Variety is the spice of life eh!

My "collection" is pretty much vintage style divers bar a few exceptions, not everyone's tastes!

(I'll leave it here for critique)

20210218_213508

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

My "collection" is pretty much vintage style divers bar a few exceptions, not everyone's tastes!

20210218_213508

I do like dive watches,  and I was lying about my collection being made up of all those things you dislike...but I have loads of chronographs, a G-Shock, some bright coloured stuff, and gold coloured watches,

Here's some stuff you may hate...you may need therapy :biggrin:

ea0979b6f3b6cb455481e8af8a8f70f8.jpg6620c8f57336b5ce0915be6aebc30662.jpg

5b898e1c4cf3a4f8973b42949f1b34dc.jpg75e2165f7a515cfe069f767e7310a547.jpg

016b93f31c47ddad1000d92d74160297.jpg544420bc09c261320897a0c517e7427e.jpg 

I think I've traumatised you enough for one night, don't have too many nightmares :teethsmile:

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Jonesinamillion said:

20210218_213508

That slate blue Oris pointer date is very nice. :thumbsup: I promise I'll still like it in the morning :laugh:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

"heritage"

Agree, I don't mind a nod to the past, and I really like the 'look' of the Seiko Alpinist in a photograph, but I couldn't go 'cathedral hands' - I hovered long and hard over the trigger at the end of line pieces (before they started putting an 'X' on the dial), but just a bit too anachronistic- a watch for adventure taking refuge in the past.   

Now the original Alpinist - I have seen a beaut from 1964, for hardly more than a full price 'pro-spex'.

If it weren't for that ruddy VAT ....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

By the morning, the watch has turned into...meh. :tumbleweed:

And it always seems to be certain brands, to give four examples;

• Longines
  • Omega
  • Rolex
  • Seiko

Yes, yes, I know, sharp intake of breath, :swoon: but, nope, they just don't interest me at all.

I can not think of any Brand that I could say I like all their models but I don't buy `brands' but only models that I like . My only Omega took a few yeras to find and was based on one that @artistmikehad which was a Lillehammer Olympic edition which I still consider one of the best looking watches I have seen. I almost found one but .+settled for a 2010 Vancouver modellarge.20180119_133852.jpg.6e47b3d255dd3bdc18ec1b7438a5b1aa.jpg

I saw a 20th anniversary GS that took my fancy and there are maybe 2 other models that I would consider but I like this one.

large_GS1.png.31491e5445b2ec72678dd01bb9c9b6d1.png

I came across Zenith at the Tag outlet store in Bicester Village and ended up with three of them - all different but there are many Zenith models that I would never buy. 

large.DSCF0385-1.JPG.7d6e828ae50e68aa690e686812cd70db.JPGlarge.DSCF04861.JPG.74003d7b964ffd641d35cabd576308c3.JPGlarge.DSCF04781.JPG.5fe037218e85a25c272944072838f13c.JPG

• Like 1

Initially I bought dive watches and very little els, but I've grown quite bored of them and feel they all look a bit the same. Its a little like the standard car market; everything starts to look the same with the loss of distinctiveness.

In the last three years I seem to have bought more Seiko Presage's than is perhaps wise and keep tempting myself by looking at Alpinists every other month.