• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The new LED bench light I ordered from Cousins arrived yesterday and after a bit of experimenting as to positioning, I'm ready to review it. My old lamp was a tube style with a magnifier lens (1.75 x) built in to it. It has always been mounted at the front of my bench on a clamp, and always seemed to be in the way. Being at the front also made it hard to position over the work. The new lamp comes with a clamp as standard, but I also ordered a screw down bench mount for it so I could position it towards the rear of the bench.

This is quite a large light. The total height when pushed out of the way is around 800mm, and each arm is approx. 400mm. The lamp head is 600mm wide and 80mm across, and can tilt front to back, side to side and rotate to the best working position. The light source is two strips of 42 LEDs, which are infinitely dimmable from a low glow to welding mask bright. You can also switch one strip of LEDs off if required. The sprung arms are easy to move and hold their position perfectly. 

The light is powered by a 24v transformer, which plugs into the base. 

Some pics.

This is the setup for when I'm using my PC. You might get some idea of the size of the lamp head here. This is a 600mm (24") monitor. The lower arm is the same height as the monitor, so the top arm can reach over it.

Work Lamp.

When I want to do any tinkering, the monitor swings out of the way on its gas lift mount.
Work Lamp.

Then I can move my watch bench under the light.
Work Lamp.

And this is switched on...nice, shadowless light.
Work Lamp.

Work light.

Work Lamp.

Good, sturdy joints move freely and stay exactly where you put them.
Work Lamp.

Work Lamp.

Transformer plugs in here.
Work Lamp.

Standard clamp (supplied) if I should need it.
Work Lamp.

Very pleased with this upgrade...the light is much brighter than the old light, and should it ever fail, the LED strips are replaceable. I'm not too worried about losing the magnifying lens of the old light, as I have now adopted the 'two pairs of glasses' trick that Steve Fletcher (The Repair Shop horologist) uses which suits me better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1