• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi all, 

This is perhaps an unusual discussion question. Im reasonably new to watch collecting so not sure how to evaluate this one. Briefly, I purchased a lovely Victorinox Chronograph from an online retailer abroad.  It was advertised as new and seemed a reputable dealer. The watch arrived but had problems: 1)The case is lightly scratched in places 2)The chrono second hand doesn't rest in the correct position (ie:12oclcok) and 3)it has no registration/warranty/instruction papers. 

Im confident the watch is legit but its obviously second hand from the scratches. The dealer has offered to replace it or give me a discount -they asked my how much discount would I like! It raises the question for me of how much does a watch devalue once used, ie: is it like a car that halves in value once it leaves the showroom? Obviously, this will vary from brand to brand, some become more collectable over time, others not. But is there a rule of thumb on this? I like the watch, I'm not worried about the little scratches or even the misaligned timer hand, but a part of me thinks I should send it back as its not "new" and perhaps has other faults. Then again, if he offers me 50% discount......? Id really appreciate you guy's views on this.

• Like 1

I agree with @JonnyOldBoy it should be replaced or get a refund. The chrono not resetting exactly can happen, even in new watches in transit, and can be fix by resetting the watch (which is slightly more than just pressing the reset button, instructions are usually in the manual that comes with the watch, but you'd probably find a manual online for your particular watch/movement). But to have scratches and no paper work with a new Victorinox watch doesn't sound like it's new.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, PuffingPanda said:

they asked my how much discount would I like!

I'd go for 100%.

On a similar note the local Land Rover dealer kept on pestering me about buying a Range Rover, telling me they had finance packages to suit my pocket, so I asked what the most expensive model was, once he'd told me I told him I'd have it at £1 a week.

Seriously, send it back and get a full refund.

P.S. If you try looking on YouTube, most quartz chronos can be reset quite easily. Both Seiko and Citizens do it, and there is a fairly simple.procedure to correct it.

Example;

• Like 2

I agree with all of the above... GET A FULL REFUND AS QUICK AS YOU CAN.

In connection with resetting the chronograph, this should be a relatively easy operation to perform on a quartz model, making sure you have the relevant instructions for your particular watch movement. I would just say though that this may not actually solve the problem. I reviewed a chrono watch with a Seiko mecaquartz movement and resetting the watch still left the centre chrono hand out of alignment, and one of my favourite wearers, a Timex Expedition chronograph, also developed an out of alignment register hand which can't be reset to its true zero position. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, PuffingPanda said:

Briefly, I purchased a lovely Victorinox Chronograph from an online retailer abroad.  It was advertised as new and seemed a reputable dealer.

Returning the watch for a replacement would be ideal but did you pay any VAT and handling charges when it arrived in the UK? You did not mention which country you purchased it from.

You should be able to reclaim VAT when you return the watch but not any handling fee. You would then have VAT and handling to pay on the replacement.

• Like 1
On 18/02/2021 at 16:40, Always"watching" said:

In connection with resetting the chronograph, this should be a relatively easy operation to perform on a quartz model, making sure you have the relevant instructions for your particular watch movement. I would just say though that this may not actually solve the problem. I reviewed a chrono watch with a Seiko mecaquartz movement and resetting the watch still left the centre chrono hand out of alignment, and one of my favourite wearers, a Timex Expedition chronograph, also developed an out of alignment register hand which can't be reset to its true zero position. 

Thanks a stack. Didn't know this about chronos and 

On 18/02/2021 at 16:40, Always"watching" said:

Thanks a stack. Didn't know this about chronos. Tried resetting it and it worked