• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I asked my mum whether she still had any of my dad’s old watches, she produced a shabby gold coloured watch and put it down on the table. I had a quick glance and saw “Cartier” on the dial! 
Bloody hell, picked it up and I could do with a bit of help identifying it. Did Cartier make any plastic, gold coloured dress watches?

I haven’t even got around to throwing it away yet, it isn’t good enough to be worth the effort.

Edited by Bow

Several years ago I inherited a small, 1930s gold plated cushion-cased watch. It didn't work and I think the crown and stem were missing. It had no sentimental value and eventually I threw it out.

Now I know a bit more about vintage watches I wonder what it was.

I bought a job lot of watches on eBay as there was a watch I wanted in the lot.  One of the others was a cheap quartz watch that had a crooked and wrong "5" logo that looked a bit like a Seiko 5 logo - if you squinted at it from a distance - and a nasty sharp-edged metal bracelet.   I popped a new battery in and it did not work.  It went to the tip and into the metal recycling bin.

Only broken ones,in the past mine haven't been expensive so its been ok to throw them in the bin, i remember when i was a kid  i once had a digital watch which i took apart cos i was intrigued to see how it worked, i was none the wiser afterwards so that went in the  bin too.