• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Old Watch Sunday (made before 1990)

7 hours ago, BooJewels said:

I'm a new poster, but have been enjoying looking at the WRUW threads for some time as a lurker - I have serious horology-envy.  As a woman, I especially like the aesthetics and sizes of the vintage gents watches - from an era when women's watches were largely tiny sparkly cocktail watches.

I only said yesterday in the Vintage watch forum that I have a watch with horizontal hour batons and have seen very few others and lo and behold @Balaton1109 goes and posts another.  This is my recently inherited Villard (and the Medana I was asking about, which I really like, but it isn't working well - it worked for about 5 hours yesterday, but won't go at all today).

watches2_0443df.jpg)

Using the Search function you'll find hits for vintage Roamer, but Medana not so much. WRUW on 15th Feb has some info on mine, if you're at all interested.

Regards.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning, Sekonda 3017 around 1970. HAGD  p.s. I took this earlier (you may notice I have had a round of 'strap-o-rama' since, and moved this Sekonda off the shark mesh).

I`m starting with a couple from behind the Iron Curtain...   (Kirova, 16 jewels, 1st MWF Kirov Сделано на родине СССР[ "Made In Homeland,USSR"] & Rodina 22 jewels [automatic],

Seiko 7625-1994 Made January 1969. A Sportmatic essentially. but the name was dropped for some reason...I guess they thought 'AUTOMATIC' was so much sexier  Have a great Sunday guys

Posted Images

Thank you @Balaton1109 - I have already read quite a lot of posts about Roamer, Medana and less so Villard, from posts here on the forum - I did spot your Medana with comments last week.  Many on-line searches for vintage marques bring you to posts here, that's how I started looking in.  

What I was curious about with my Medana is whether it's a mechanical or Automatic - I still can't fathom how it's working - you can't wind it more than a turn or two, as the crown is very stiff, but you pick it up and handle it and it sets off ticking!  It's sat on the kitchen table just now and it started up whilst we ate dinner and progressed about 40 minutes of its own accord.  I'm going to have to pop the back off and take a peak at the movement.   It's certainly going to need professional attention to run reliably.  The Roamer is just dead.

9 hours ago, BooJewels said:

Thank you @Balaton1109 - I have already read quite a lot of posts about Roamer, Medana and less so Villard, from posts here on the forum - I did spot your Medana with comments last week.  Many on-line searches for vintage marques bring you to posts here, that's how I started looking in.  

What I was curious about with my Medana is whether it's a mechanical or Automatic - I still can't fathom how it's working - you can't wind it more than a turn or two, as the crown is very stiff, but you pick it up and handle it and it sets off ticking!  It's sat on the kitchen table just now and it started up whilst we ate dinner and progressed about 40 minutes of its own accord.  I'm going to have to pop the back off and take a peak at the movement.   It's certainly going to need professional attention to run reliably.  The Roamer is just dead.

I suspect it's a manual wind and that, at the very least, the oils in both movements will have turned to tar. These watches are likely to be in need of a service by a proper watchmaker, not a jeweller or a heel bar/key-cutting outfit.

Regards.

Thank you, I think you're right on all counts.  I think it just sets going periodically when warmth or movement frees something for a while and it runs until it gums up again.  

@WRENCH kindly posted a list of suitable repair places and looking through them, it's going to cost at least £200 (plus any actual repair/replacement parts that might turn up) to get them properly serviced - taken apart, cleaned and re-lubricated etc.  I think I'll start with the Medana as I simply like that best and more likely to wear it, then the Roamer if I like what was done with the first one.    I'm pretty certain that they've been in the back of a drawer un-moving for at least 30 years, the Villard I suspect for more like 40.   

I also found a little Excalibur automatic that was my Grandmothers (not worn for at least 25 years) and that's working a treat and very accurate.  I wear that regularly (still looking for a more suitable strap, as the case is a funny shape) and it set me to looking more carefully at automatics and vintage watches and I've bought a couple of cheap Seiko 5s now as a result and a 1976 fashion Seiko with a 2205 caliber.  Just to see how I get on with them before laying down more cash on something more elegant and expensive, which is the long term plan.